posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Default New survey

Frank Boettcher wrote:
..... what I really should consider near term is a
very nice trailerable sailer (oxymoron?). I can haul it to the coast
and gunkhole in the areas I want to sail and when at home I can use it
on the half dozen lakes that are 1-3 hours away. I've also always
wanted to make a trip down Jamie Whittens folly (TenTom) to Mobile
Bay.

Requirements:

reasonably good sailor
accomodations for two (fairly good sports) for several days to a week
at a time
total package( boat wet with motor and trailer) less than 5000 lbs
reasonable resale

I have something in mind, but your suggestions:

How about a Dovekie?
(this is an old ad)
http://www.sailingtexas.com/sdovekiea.html

There is also a Dovekie big sister, a very nice 28' yawl
called the Shearwater. Both a built to a high standard by
Edey & Duff. Another boat along similar lines, a bit less
handsome to my eye but roomier & fancier, is the Sea Pearl 28.

Here's a boat very similar to one I'm considering, a bit
much for the Tenn-Tom though.
(another expired ad)
http://www.sailingtexas.com/stripp26a.html

The suggestion of a Mac 26 is also not a bad one, although I
wonder if Bill W was suggesting a Mac 26-X which is a
miserably poor sailer. The older ones sail quite well.

Here's the boat which we trailersailed in for 10 years...
never saw any boat which came close in comfort &
practicality with such a high degree of trailerability. It's
not the kind of boat that earns you bragging rights though.
http://www.sailboatowners.com/boats/...37&fno=0&bts=T

During our trailersailing years we were members of two clubs
and had the chance to either sail ourselves, or at least
sail in company with (and closely observe) most of the more
common trailersailers out there.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King