Default QinetiQ Funtington radar reflector tests

Larry wrote:

I suppose my point is plastic boat sailors THINK the big guys can spot
them, on radar and visually. I suppose they COULD if we move the bridge
to the bow or take off all the containers in the way, but that isn't
gonna happen. The flag is 930' in front of the helm. You all know what
the genoa does to your ability to see those damned crabpot toilet floats
from your helm. Imagine if the obstruction were 900' FORWARD of your
bow! They can't really see anything less than a full sized ship, on
radar or out the windows. There are hardly any sailors aboard these huge
ships run by computers. The crews are, to increase profits, tiny in
respect to the size of the beast. There aren't 15 people with binoculars
standing on the bow, in a crow's nest looking out for icebergs and
Catalinas, guys standing on the bridge wings scanning the horizon for 4
hours like a Navy ship has. There's one guy, walking around the bridge,
bored to tears as the computer watches the GPS and flogs on towards
Holland....just like last week, last month, last year...
(yawn).....zzzzzZZZZ.

I think (from memory) the IMO rules require you to see only 2 boat
lengths from the BOW. So visibility can be impaired say anywhere
within 1800' of the bow...

I ALWAYS assume I am invisible to big ships and steer accordingly. On
offshore passages I've called passing ships and ask if they can see me
on radar. Often the reply is "let me get it warmed up"...

Evan Gatehouse

On Aug 14, 5:25 pm, Evan Gatehouse
I think (from memory) the IMO rules require you to see only 2 boat
lengths from the BOW. So visibility can be impaired say anywhere
within 1800' of the bow...

I haven't read the IMO treaties and case law but the way it was taught
to me was that a lookout had to be as far forward and low as
practicable (preferably but not necessarily off the bridge). Five, as
written, clearly doesn't allow 1800' blind spots, but maybe the courts
do. However, I don't mean to quibble. You are absolutely right to
assume that you are invisible to all targets that pose a risk of
collision unless you have had positive communication with them and
come to a passing agreement.

-- Tom.

Evan Gatehouse wrote in news:Bmuwi.58787
$_d2.38488@pd7urf3no:

I've called passing ships and ask if they can see me
on radar. Often the reply is "let me get it warmed up"...

I think that's a more common response than we'd like to think about.

They just don't care or have the time to care....which makes no difference
as you go under the bulb.

Sailors offshore need to take a more intense interest in calling them to
KEEP THE WATCH AWAKE, out of his stupor, especially on the midwatch.