Terry

Default overwater boat delivery

I'm retired and recently got the 6 pak and Master's license. I'd like to get
into the business of transporting boats over water for those who are working
and can't do it themselves.

Since I'm retired from the old job, I have the time to do something I'd love
to do and make some supplemental income as well.

Can someone help me get a start with this? Are there captains "employment
agencies" or captain's organizations that could help me out? All suggestions
are welcome.

personal replies can be directed to

Terry

Steve

"Terry" wrote in message
t...
I'm retired and recently got the 6 pak and Master's license. I'd like to

get

Ah! But what type of boat experience do you have?? Sail, Power? Size? Type
of passages, coastal or offshore and in what crew position?? It's one thing
to satisfy the USCG requirements and pass a written test, it's another to
satisfy the requirements of a private owner..

Most delivery skippers get their find deliveries by word of mouth, based on
their reputation.. It might help to do some deliveries as a crew and a
referral from that skipper.

Brokers are another possibility for referrals..

You will also need a reliable source for a crew and serving as a crew a few
time might provide this..

Bottom line: Do a good delivery, on-time, with no damage or unexpected
expense to owner and that happy owner will pass the word around.. Screw it
up and he will bad mouth you all over the waterfront.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Terry

Sorry I didn't see this Steve - it was the was I had my browser set up for
displaying messages..

You've made many good points. I'm willing to "pay my dues". I'm more
interested in the activity than the money. Sure I am willing to crew first.
But I have had difficulty even finding how to tap into that.

Obviously, I've done some boating -- that is a requirement of getting the
license and maintaining it. In my case experience has been all sail, over
about 14 years on the waters of Lake Erie (home), the Chesapeake, and the
North Channel. In the summers my wife and I are both available and we do a
lot of live-a-board. I am not just a holiday boater.

Thanks for your comments and I certainly agree with what you've said.
Suggestions for how to become even crew would be welcome. Being retired I
can go anywhere at any time. I just don't know how to tap into the folks
that are doing this.

Terry

--
http://www.pbase.com/tvacha
"Steve" wrote in message

"Terry" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Steve

Terry, why don't you try putting an ad in some regional magazine.. (here on
the west coast we have 48 North, Lat. 38, and Santa Anna (sp?) (So.
Calif.)).

You may not even have to place an ad, since there are often other delivery
skippers with ads and you could contact them and ask about crew positions..

The fellows I know in So. Calif. are retired live aboards and for them the
money is pretty good but the hours are long, work is hard and the bunks are
often wet.

If you haven't been off shore then you should look for a opportunity to do
that.. Not all delivery opportunities on the east coast are going to be
inshore. Your best opportunities are going to be as return skipper or crew
from Bermuda, etc.

Once you get some offshore experience the opportunities will open up..

I know a fellow on the OR coast who has lived on his Ingrid 38 for the past
25+ years and does deliveries along the west coast and from Hawaii.. At the
last count he had made over a 29 Hawaii to Pac. NW deliveries.

If your interested in contacting him I will give you his mailing address by
email.. (Capt. Carman doesn't have email access).

The husband wife delivery team is a very good arrangement and would instill
confidence with many owners. (I know it would for me).

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Terry

Good ideas Steve, I'll look into some regional papers. Thanks

Terry

--
http://www.pbase.com/tvacha

1st boat help Diverguy General 21 November 12th 03 06:40 PM
Many boats are not being used. Bill Kiene General 14 October 25th 03 05:17 PM
TRADE speed/ski boat for SUV or ??? (pictures) SALE - TRADE General 0 October 14th 03 02:36 AM