Roy G. Biv

Default traps in waterways

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message...
I missed the beginning of this ... did you change the subject?

I introduced this as a new thread to RBC (from a E-mail list)

Why would someone think its illegal to put a trap in a channel?

I don't know !

Is this one of those "it makes sense to me" laws?

I posted the comments here to prompt discussion among this
geographically diverse group to see if anyone agreed with SailorP, I
thought there might be a local/regional (freshwater or rivers??)
perspective to SailorP's comments with which I am not familiar . . .

Here in New England moving someone's Lobsta Trap would qualify for a Darwin
Award!

Here in the Keys too!

"Roy G. Biv" wrote in message
om...
I respectfully disagree,
if you move a trap the fisherman may not be able to find it- in a
nutshell you have stolen the trap and are a thief !

SAILORP wrote:
It is absolutely not a felony
to move a trap out of a navigable waterway.
However, you may need a license to keep the lobsters.

Sorry Pete-- pulling traps as you describe is a Felony -- viewed the
same as stealing money directly from someone bank account !

SAILORP wrote:
It is illegal to place lobster
traps in marked channels, canals and
navigable waterways. Feel free to to pull such the traps and take the
lobsters for yourself if some idiot has placed a trap where you're in
jeopardy of a prop wrap!.

Keith

It's always expensive to run over a trap. I put a line cutter on my shaft so
hopefully it'll never happen to me. Has worked once... found a little piece
of PP line around the shaft, obviously cut free from something else.

In Texas we have a two week moratorium once a year to get rid of abandoned
traps. The first week only law enforcement and authorized people can remove
abandoned traps. The second week anyone can get them out of the water. They
even have stations set up all over to dispose of them. Sure is nice... we
remove thousands yearly.

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
I missed the beginning of this ... did you change the subject?

Why would someone think its illegal to put a trap in a channel? Is this

one of
those "it makes sense to me" laws? Here in New England moving someone's

SAILORP wrote:
It is illegal to place lobster
traps in marked channels, canals and
navigable waterways. Feel free to to pull such the traps and take the
lobsters for yourself if some idiot has placed a trap where you're in
jeopardy of a prop wrap!.

Jeff Morris

Now that that is cleared up, I'll flip sides! While I've generally been a
strong supporter of the Down East fishing communities, in recent years the
number of lobster pots has increased dramatically. I've heard people being
frustrated by traps in the Chesapeake, where you hardly ever see two within 100
feet; in some parts of Maine (Stonington and Tenants Harbors stand out) there
are fields that have one every 10 feet. One's sympathies start to diminish when
you're trying to maneuver through that. Remember that Down East pots have a
toggle - a second float connected to the first with a 20 foot line that lurks
below the surface, usually down current from the pot. Fortunately my catamaran
can be powered on one engine - its impossible to survive such field with both
engines running.

The other issue I have is with pots in the inner areas of commercial harbors or
marinas. In the old days, when Boston Harbor has heavily polluted I used to
watch local lobster boats pull up to the dock at Bay State Lobster. However, if
you went in the front door, you were told that all the lobster were from Maine!

And I can't for the life of me fathom why someone would put a trap in a marina
fairway!

-jeff

om...

SAILORP wrote:
It is illegal to place lobster
traps in marked channels, canals and
navigable waterways. Feel free to to pull such the traps and take the
lobsters for yourself if some idiot has placed a trap where you're in
jeopardy of a prop wrap!.

Capt Lou

, when Boston Harbor has heavily polluted I used to watch local lobster boats
pull up to the dock at Bay State Lobster. However, if you went in the front
door, you were told that all the lobster were from Maine!

Boston Harbor and Massachusetts Bay are part of the Gulf of Maine! Many people
in Massachusetts do not realize that Massachusetts Bay is a part of the Gulf of
Maine, so when they hear fishermen, fisheries management people, or scientists
talking about the Gulf of Maine, they think it has nothingto do with them.
Wrong! So in effect, the lobsters caught in Boston are from Maine; the Gulf of
Maine!

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 08:38:17 -0500, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:

[...]

I have cruised the Maine coast since the late 1970s, and have gone
into Tenants and Stonington on many occasions. I haven't noticed any
vast increase in trap density.

The last time I snagged a potwarp was in 1981, on a chartered boat
with a non-folding prop. Indeed, all three of my snags were with that
same boat. Never a problem since.

When the tide is flowing hard enough to pull a toggle under water, it
is very easy to tell which side to pass the potbuoy on.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"In this house we _obey_ the laws of thermodynamics." --Homer Simpson