Roy G. Biv

Default traps in waterways

I respectfully disagree,
if you move a trap the fisherman may not be able to find it- in a
nutshell you have stolen the trap and are a thief !

SAILORP wrote:
It is absolutely not a felony
to move a trap out of a navigable waterway.
However, you may need a license to keep the lobsters.

Sorry Pete-- pulling traps as you describe is a Felony -- viewed the
same as stealing money directly from someone bank account !

SAILORP wrote:
It is illegal to place lobster
traps in marked channels, canals and
navigable waterways. Feel free to to pull such the traps and take the
lobsters for yourself if some idiot has placed a trap where you're in
jeopardy of a prop wrap!.

Florida Keyz

so if your wrap trap, and you have to cut the line off, do you

a: break open the trap so the annimals do not die

or

B:Eat the crabs of lobsters

Or

C. Cut the trap and let it catch and kill

Whadya think? What would you do?

Jeff Morris

If I have both parts I tie them together and put the trap as close to where I
caught it. In Maine, most of the traps I've caught have two floats, and I've
caught them between the floats.

"Florida Keyz" wrote in message
so if your wrap trap, and you have to cut the line off, do you

a: break open the trap so the annimals do not die

or

B:Eat the crabs of lobsters

Or

C. Cut the trap and let it catch and kill

Whadya think? What would you do?

Jeff Morris

I missed the beginning of this ... did you change the subject?

Why would someone think its illegal to put a trap in a channel? Is this one of
those "it makes sense to me" laws? Here in New England moving someone's Lobsta
Trap would qualify for a Darwin Award!

om...

SAILORP wrote:
It is illegal to place lobster
traps in marked channels, canals and
navigable waterways. Feel free to to pull such the traps and take the
lobsters for yourself if some idiot has placed a trap where you're in
jeopardy of a prop wrap!.

Roy G. Biv

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message...
I missed the beginning of this ... did you change the subject?

I introduced this as a new thread to RBC (from a E-mail list)

Why would someone think its illegal to put a trap in a channel?

I don't know !

Is this one of those "it makes sense to me" laws?

I posted the comments here to prompt discussion among this
geographically diverse group to see if anyone agreed with SailorP, I
thought there might be a local/regional (freshwater or rivers??)
perspective to SailorP's comments with which I am not familiar . . .

Here in New England moving someone's Lobsta Trap would qualify for a Darwin
Award!

Here in the Keys too!