Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default traps in waterways

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 08:38:17 -0500, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:

Now that that is cleared up, I'll flip sides! While I've generally been a
strong supporter of the Down East fishing communities, in recent years the
number of lobster pots has increased dramatically. I've heard people being
frustrated by traps in the Chesapeake, where you hardly ever see two within 100
feet; in some parts of Maine (Stonington and Tenants Harbors stand out) there
are fields that have one every 10 feet. One's sympathies start to diminish when
you're trying to maneuver through that. Remember that Down East pots have a
toggle - a second float connected to the first with a 20 foot line that lurks
below the surface, usually down current from the pot. Fortunately my catamaran
can be powered on one engine - its impossible to survive such field with both
engines running.

The other issue I have is with pots in the inner areas of commercial harbors or
marinas. In the old days, when Boston Harbor has heavily polluted I used to
watch local lobster boats pull up to the dock at Bay State Lobster. However, if
you went in the front door, you were told that all the lobster were from Maine!

And I can't for the life of me fathom why someone would put a trap in a marina
fairway!

I have cruised the Maine coast since the late 1970s, and have gone
into Tenants and Stonington on many occasions. I haven't noticed any
vast increase in trap density.

The last time I snagged a potwarp was in 1981, on a chartered boat
with a non-folding prop. Indeed, all three of my snags were with that
same boat. Never a problem since.

When the tide is flowing hard enough to pull a toggle under water, it
is very easy to tell which side to pass the potbuoy on.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"In this house we _obey_ the laws of thermodynamics." --Homer Simpson
Jeff Morris

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote in message I have cruised
the Maine coast since the late 1970s, and have gone
into Tenants and Stonington on many occasions. I haven't noticed any
vast increase in trap density.

The last time I snagged a potwarp was in 1981, on a chartered boat
with a non-folding prop. Indeed, all three of my snags were with that
same boat. Never a problem since.

That's not what the State of Maine says.

Lobster traps have tripled in the last 35 years. I've only gone Down East a few
times since our daughter was born (we go to the Vineyard more now) but to my
eyes they've increased a lot. And the stats say the number of traps has
increased 50% since 1990.

http://www.maine.gov/dmr/rm/lobster/lobdata.htm

Perhaps Tenants hasn't got worse - I don't think its physically possible to get
worse since you can almost walk across on the pots. Stonington harbor itself
isn't too bad, but there are areas in and around Merchant's Row that have become
saturated.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:51:23 -0500, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:

[...]

I was replying specifically about Tenants and Stonington. It is true
that it would be hard to put more in there.

A lot of pots are placed in quite deep water these days. I suspect
that is a lot of the state increase. The increase is probably more
noticeable if you skip several years. I have gone every year except
when a hurricane stopped me on Labor Day weekend, ca 1995?

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"In this house we _obey_ the laws of thermodynamics." --Homer Simpson

Florida Keyz

I would think it's not smart to put your traps in the channel where they will
more than likley get hit and lost.

IMHO

Sterling

Jere Lull

Jeff Morris wrote:

Now that that is cleared up, I'll flip sides! While I've generally been a
strong supporter of the Down East fishing communities, in recent years the
number of lobster pots has increased dramatically. I've heard people being
frustrated by traps in the Chesapeake, where you hardly ever see two within 100
feet;

You haven't been in the Northern Chesapeake Bay. There are some fields
(Middle River, Sassafras, and Bush River) where I often brush traps away
on both sides of our about 6' beam (at the waterline). It's highly
seasonal, though. Between one weekend and the next, hundreds of traps
can be set or pulled.

100' between traps is a real luxury and pretty much rates as open water.

in some parts of Maine (Stonington and Tenants Harbors stand out) there
are fields that have one every 10 feet. One's sympathies start to diminish when
you're trying to maneuver through that. Remember that Down East pots have a
toggle - a second float connected to the first with a 20 foot line that lurks
below the surface, usually down current from the pot. Fortunately my catamaran
can be powered on one engine - its impossible to survive such field with both
engines running.

The other issue I have is with pots in the inner areas of commercial harbors or
marinas.

Thankfully, there's some sort of law on the Chesapeake that eliminates
most floats once into an anchorage and many creeks/rivers. It could be a
variant on Darwin: With the number of boats on the upper Bay, a float in
a marina approach wouldn't last long. As it is, we move 2-3 crab traps a
quarter mile or so elsewhere each season.

--
Jere Lull