Default Things that go wrong - First 21 Days on the ICW

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 18:42:18 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

On 2007-08-09 14:38:16 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
said:

And it makes you feel better knowing your chronic screw-ups are also
experienced by others who are just as inept as you are? Have you
ever
considered that side-stepping one predicament may end you up in
another
predicament that's even more dire? When sailing you don't react; you
do
things proactively if you want to be safe and if you want to sail
problem free. You have a plan based on the consensus of the right
way
to do things and you take advantage of the successful experiences
written about by others.

Stop dwelling on failures and screw-ups. Consider your very own
situation and do what it takes to avoid any and all screw-ups. It's
matter of reading the right way to do things. There are thousands of
books published that will tell how to do things right. Only a moron
would rather read about how to do things wrong. The Beasley's and
those
idiots on Flying Pig are accidents waiting to happen because of
their
lackadaisical attitudes.

Sorry Wilbur, but some of us can learn from hearing of others'
experiences.

Because of stories related here, I have added drills for when the
"stuff" hits the fan.

Because of those drills, the few times that "stuff" happened in the
last decade or two, it wound up being a non-event as we had a number
of
alternatives and could choose the most appropriate with full
confidence
that we could pull it off, as we'd done it already in less-stressful
times.

A month or two ago, our rudder broke free. Yeah, it was my screwup for
not dismounting the pintle and examining the base of the weld,
invisible to my regular inspection of our transom-hung rudder. but
when
we found ourself with no rudder, the obvious first action was to
anchor. Because of our previously-decided choice of ground tackle, we
knew that once the anchor was deployed, we weren't going anywhere,
which gave us all the time in the world. When I then unshipped the
rudder to discover our problem, I already had three alternative next
steps, one of which included scavaging interior fittings to create an
emergency rudder.

Pretty much all of that came about because I'd listened to others'
travails on this list and thought of solutions that would work for our
particular boat.

What's the quote? "Those who don't learn history are doomed to repeat
it", or something like that?

I'd rather learn from others' history, not my own.

To quote Hubby:

here are thousands of
books published that will tell how to do things right. Only a moron
would rather read about how to do things wrong

What Hubby (apparently) isn't bright enough to realize is that
everyone of these books he reads about "doing things right" came about
because somebody did something wrong, got out of trouble and then
wrote a book about how to do it right.

There's even a couple good books on how to live aboard for years at a
time tied up to a dock. Perhaps you should write one of your own??
You're as qualified as anybody, it seems.

Wilbur Hubbard

I really don't understand this fetish that you seem to have about
marinas. Whether one keeps their boat attached to an anchor or
attached to a jetty is no indication, whatsoever, of how much they
actually use the boat.

There are three charter boats that moor in the same marina I am in.
They are out 10 hours a day, 365 days a year, probably the most
successful charter business in Phuket. Are you claiming that because
these boats moor in a marina instead of anchoring out they are somehow
less worthy in some way then you, who seem to spend most of your time
on the internet. If you ever saw one of these single screw boats
approach the dock with a full load, make a 180 degree turn in a
restricted area and stop dead alongside so a crew member can step off
to tie up you wouldn't talk about seamanship. And these guys do it
every day.

All of the fishing fleet in Phuket, and every other port I have
visited in S.E. Asia moor to jetties and by the way, the "fishing
dock" in Chai Am will hold 50 boats. A marina in all but name. The
only time I have seen a fishing boat anchored is out in the middle of
the ocean to get a bit of rest while they are waiting for the nets to
fill.

Is it your claim that these working boats are somehow not worthy? I'm
afraid that your claim would be met by gales of laughter if you were
to advise them that they weren't sailors simply because they tie up to
a jetty.

I know live-a-boards who have been anchored just north of the marina I
moor in. They have been there for four years now. There was a girl who
stayed for 10 years (had to leave in the dark as her papers were so
out of date). Are these sailors because they anchor out? If that is
your definition, what about the working folks that are out everyday
working and tie up alongside a jetty?

In fact Hubby, the only people I know who anchor out are people that
can't afford to tie up in a marina. Perhaps that is your problem, you
can't afford a marina and are jealous of those who can, which makes
you pretty poor in local terms as my marina fees are less then the
cost of renting a room here in Phuket.

In short, Hubby, you don't know what you are talking about.

By the way Hubby, talking about not knowing what you are talking
about, you have mentioned several times in your posts about your Swan
68 -- I suppose that this is the one you have the 9.9 HP, 4 stroke,
outboard mounted on.

Now, I'm going to say right now that either(1) you don't own a Swan
68, or (2)you're dumb as a rock to be bolting a 9.9 HP outboard on
the stern of a Swan 68 for auxiliary power.

A search of high end brokers indicates that a used Swan 68 is just a
bit short of a $2,000,000 boat and frankly I doubt that you own one so
in addition to your rather strange fetish, about anchoring somehow
turning one into a "real sailor", I believe that you are either lying
about your Swan or suffer from delusions severe enough that you should
be receiving treatment for the problem. If you really do believe that
you own a Swan then the next step is probably claiming to be the
reincarnation of Joshua Slocum or Tristan Jones, or Captain Ahab.
Hubby, get treatment before the boys with the white coats come for
you.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Default August 3 - Sailing in Steerage

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 14:56:30 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

I suppose for sailboat cruisers the real shakedown elements are
rigging, sails and drive train related.

Those are important obviously but for extended cruising like S & L
aspire to, it is everything that makes the boat livable. It's a long
list on our boat but I can usually tell on a 2 or 3 day cruise if all
systems are go. On the other hand I've been cruising the boat for 3
years now, have learned what to look for, and have already replaced
the weak links.

wrote:

I suppose for sailboat cruisers the real shakedown elements are
rigging, sails and drive train related.

Those are important obviously but for extended cruising like S & L
aspire to, it is everything that makes the boat livable. It's a long
list on our boat but I can usually tell on a 2 or 3 day cruise if all
systems are go. On the other hand I've been cruising the boat for 3
years now, have learned what to look for, and have already replaced
the weak links.

Heh heh. I'll keep that in mind. The great thing about this group
and other such forums is even a novice can spot weak links as they are
reported by those who experience them.
Which is a real time/money saver when equipping.
I hope to add my experience as soon as possible.

--Vic