Skip Gundlach Skip Gundlach is offline

Default August 3 - Sailing in Steerage

On Aug 5, 10:08 am, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 05:18:18 -0500, Geoff Schultz

wrote:
All that you've been doing is moving your boat and repairing it
as you go.

I'd be slightly more charitable and call it a "shake down cruise".

It took us about a year of short cruises to work the bugs out of our
boat and have the confidence to take off and live on it for any length
of time. At least there are good service locations most places along
the east coast.

And, indeed, that is what I call it, and what I wanted to do all
along. The wreck was a wakeup call for Lydia and she's now fully
aboard about the purposes of this (and for however long it takes)
meander in the land of TBUS and Worst/PortSupply, complete with cell
service and fairly reliable internet.

FWIW, I just got out of the engine room where I fixed a plumbing leak,
resolved an inverter problem, am chasing an electrical glitch where
the power to the exciter (or whatever delivers positive terminal
current) on the alternator was at the root of our problems, all along
(it will be either a bad wire or a bad switch, or a connection in
between) as jumping out that line results in instant charge and tach,
and, finally, fixing whatever it is which is causing a seep from the
raw water hose somewhere near the intake of the RW pump (I'm taking it
off next).

The terminology of exotic locations, I guess, needs to be followed
with a smiley. We're under no illusions as to our world-spanning such
as Geoff has done. That will come when we have this boat shaken down
to the point where - as another M46 owner calls his - they are only
the daily crisis, not the departure-stopper.

In the meantime, for the first time, we cranked up the Honda,
connected it to the adapter pigtail, and have shorepower equivalent
aboard. Now that we've killed the inverter problem, however, we'll go
back to our regular programming. The solar's making over 10A from the
time I entered the ER (~9) and climbing. Yesterday, while we were
coming back to the anchorage off City Marina, we were seeing 20+ solar
amps and a few (very light wind) from the wind generator.

Stay tuned for the report promised on our electrical stuff. We're
going to do some tracking before posting it.

And, yes, we're out there doing it. Hands, please, for those
similarly engaged (out of the marina, dealing with whatever comes up
along the way, and going on about our lives [this is our only home],
connected to the internet without spending cell or satellite phone
money). Flame on, no problems - those who have been around for the 10
years I've been bothering this group know I'm not easily dissuaded/
discouraged :{))

Finally, apologies for the immediate preceding, as it's really best
attached to the previous day's conflagration :{)) Those of you
bothering to read likely know about it...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

make it
come true. You may have to work for it however."
(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands.
You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)