Default Crew invited for Charleston, SC to Sandy Hook/Atlantic Highlands, NJ, in late July/early August

Crew invited for Charleston, SC to Sandy Hook/Atlantic Highlands, NJ,
in late July/early August

You may have been reading our postings in the "And A w a a a a a y y
We Go" thread.

We're considering passengers on our last leg, which we expect to take
outside, in anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, weather and crew
dependent. Our first leg, about 1100 miles from St. Pete, via Key
West, with a one-day layover in Jacksonville for fuel, shopping and
crew travel arrangements, to Charleston was done in 6 sailing days, 7
total days. We expect this final leg to take slightly longer, but not
much.

We can take one or two very comfortably, three perhaps less so, unless
one pair is a couple, and watch schedules are comfortable for hot-
bunking the Vee (though on the first leg, at least one slept on deck
as much as below).

Your transport to and from departure and arrival points and personal
responsibility for unique supplies or diet, no drugs, and we'll do the
provisioning and fueling and any boat-related stuff where money's
involved. It would be better if you've got some offshore experience
but not required.

We're a retired couple, sailing a Morgan 461 very well equipped but
not air conditioned or gensetted by choice. A search for Flying Pig,
or articles with my authorship (Skip Gundlach) will give you more to
read than likely you have time for. My sig line also has links to our
logs as well as our photo galleries which will give you - again - more
than you can look at if you wish to become familiar with our boat.

We'll be leaving as soon as possible following the last bits of
electrical troubleshooting here in Charleston.

Any takers?

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make
it
come true. You may have to work for it however."
(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands.
You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make
it
come true. You may have to work for it however."
(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands.
You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

Skip,

My impression of your trip so far is that you didn't learn a lot from your
first attempt. You need to get your boat in order before heading offshore.
You clearly have a lot of electrical/instrument issues that need to be
resolved. Personally, being offshore with problems is not high on my list
of things to do.

You also seem to be in a rush to head north. You're in a beautiful area.
Why not enjoy it? That's what cruising is supposed to be about. I just
passed through there a few weeks ago and I thought that the Waccamaw river
area, which is just N of you on the ICW, was one of the prettiest sections
of the ICW.

Listen, if the wind isn't blowing, you're not going to be sailing anyhow.
Enjoy the beauty of the area. I used to feel that the ICW was for wimps
and sailed up and down the coast without seeing anything other than water.
Then weather (no wind or too much wind) kept me inside on parts of the
passage S and N this past year, and I really enjoyed the trip. You can
find lots of information on where we stopped at my web site.

So while you're sorting out your issues, take your time and enjoy where you
are. You don't need to be tied up to a dock at $2/ft without any breeze.
You can be anchored out in some lovely areas and if you need to plug into
shore power, you can. It's pretty much hot everywhere, so heading N won't
change that a lot.

Cruising is about enjoying where you are. There are lots of nice places to
stop and see, but if you're sailing (motoring) by on the outside, you'll
never know what you missed.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

On 2007-07-24 06:52:12 -0400, Geoff Schultz said:

Cruising is about enjoying where you are. There are lots of nice
places to stop and see, but if you're sailing (motoring) by on the
outside, you'll never know what you missed.

I was going to nastily pan the earlier part of his post, but Geoff then
said the above, which pretty much is the cruiser's creed.

My lady and I are currently pretty much "weekenders" depending on my
current vocation, but have learned to enjoy whereever we find ourselves
each night. That we typically spend 33% or more of our sailing year
away from our marina puts us into most all definitions of "cruiser".

But if you enjoy where you are "that" moment, you're cruisers in my book.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

On 2007-07-24 06:52:12 -0400, Geoff Schultz said:

Cruising is about enjoying where you are. There are lots of nice
places to stop and see, but if you're sailing (motoring) by on the
outside, you'll never know what you missed.

I was going to nastily pan the earlier part of his post, but Geoff then
said the above, which pretty much is the cruiser's creed.

My lady and I are currently pretty much "weekenders" depending on my
current vocation, but have learned to enjoy whereever we find ourselves
each night. That we typically spend 33% or more of our sailing year
away from our marina puts us into most all definitions of "cruiser".

But if you enjoy where you are "that" moment, you're cruisers in my book.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD
Xan's new pages:http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/
Our BVI pages:http://homepage.mac.com/jerelull/BVI/

Hi, Jere (and Geoff) (and all),

Point taken. We want to be in NYC in plenty of time to get Lydia's
Mom on 9-1. That's shaking out to our not taking the time to smell
the roses on the way, because we don't want to leave it until so late
that it becomes a "schedule" issue.

However, aside from keeping out of the cold weather, we, indeed, will
dawdle our way south from there. Her mother's being joined by her
best buddy on Oct2 or thereabouts in the DC area, so we'll want to be
somewhere close to that, but public transport is so easy there that
just being in the neighborhood (of the US) will suffice. Plus, likely
we'll be at the Annapolis show for at least a brief time, concurrent
to that, so in that regard we'll have a "schedule" - but we'll have a
month to get there, too.

Meanwhile, as Larry has indicated, we've not done the toursty thing
here in Chas, but will shortly. I want to do an oil change, make the
last of the ER fixes occasioned in the alternator and shore charger
excitement(s), and redo my wifi while in the land of rich open access
points (the marina alone has 5), but we'll spend some time looking at
Chas before we leave. We'll not do it all, however, as our passengers
will want to do that, too, so we'll save a lot for when we're back.

Not to worry...

Oh, and meanwhile, we're striking out on the crew, so we'll do outside
to Beaufort NC, inside to Norfolk, and outside to NYC, all easily
managed little lumps. The ditch, according to one who's just come
down it in that same area, is 12' or more if we will stay in the
center of the channel, so I guess we'll do it, after all. Not a fast
passage (see above about "schedule" avoidance), but certainly within a
good safety margin to arrive timely in NYC.

Offer still open on crew!

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

make it
come true. You may have to work for it however."
(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands.
You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah

Bob Bob is offline

On 2007-07-24 06:52:12 -0400, Geoff Schultz said:

Cruising is about enjoying where you are. There are lots of nice
places to stop and see, but if you're sailing (motoring) by on the
outside, you'll never know what you missed.

I was going to nastily pan the earlier part of his post, but Geoff then
said the above, which pretty much is the cruiser's creed.
But if you enjoy where you are "that" moment, you're cruisers in my book.

Hi, Jere (and Geoff) (and all),
Point taken. We want to be in NYC in plenty of time to get Lydia's
Mom on 9-1. That's shaking out to our not taking the time to smell
the roses on the way, because we don't want to leave it until so late
that it becomes a "schedule" issue.

POINT TAKEN !? !!? ? !? ?!?

Skip That is exactly what you said BEFORE the crash," we had to meet
_____ on __________."
Obviously you listen and then ignore some very sound advice.

However, aside from keeping out of the cold weather, we, indeed, will
dawdle our way south from there. Her mother's being joined by her
best buddy on Oct2 or thereabouts in the DC area, so we'll want to be
somewhere close to that, but public transport is so easy there that
just being in the neighborhood (of the US) will suffice. Plus, likely
we'll be at the Annapolis show for at least a brief time, concurrent
to that, so in that regard we'll have a "schedule" - but we'll have a
month to get there, too.

Skip, Skip, Skip................. the group needs to read......... "
We will be watching that mid Atlantic Low and when she sends us god
wind will hop along as long as she alows. THat may be a problem for
Lydia's mom. She's expecting us
on 9-1 but we learned a few months ago that mother nature trumps a any
mother-in-law. She'll just have to wait.W'll get there when we get
there. Then we can give her a call to join us."

Meanwhile, as Larry has indicated, we've not done the toursty thing
here in Chas, but will shortly. I want to do an oil change, make the
last of the ER fixes occasioned in the alternator and shore charger
excitement(s), and redo my wifi while in the land of rich open access
points (the marina alone has 5), but we'll spend some time looking at
Chas before we leave. We'll not do it all, however, as our passengers
will want to do that, too, so we'll save a lot for when we're back.

Not to worry...

Dont worry Skip. I wont be on the boat so................

Oh, and meanwhile, we're striking out on the crew, so we'll do outside
to Beaufort NC, inside to Norfolk, and outside to NYC, all easily
managed little lumps.

Humm, the same words you used to describe your fateful trip. "...All
easily managed...unless, your electrics do somthing you are cluless to
cure, weather strengthens and ya'll get sea sick, and the unknown crew
gets sick and flakes out. Skip the planets are aligining.

so I guess we'll do it, after all. Not a fast
passage (see above about "schedule" avoidance), but certainly within a
good safety margin to arrive timely in NYC.

Offer still open on crew!
Skip

No thank you. Maybe a day sail AFTER your boat works. Slow down. Fix
your boat. Learn to sail.

Bob

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:35:26 -0000, Skip Gundlach
wrote:

Oh, and meanwhile, we're striking out on the crew, so we'll do outside
to Beaufort NC, inside to Norfolk, and outside to NYC, all easily
managed little lumps. The ditch, according to one who's just come
down it in that same area, is 12' or more if we will stay in the
center of the channel

We just did all of that last month.

There is a place just north of the swing bridge on the Alligator River
which bears *very* close attention. carefully follow the buoys, not
the chart, or you will run out of water.

The critical area is just south of mile marker 80 between G"9" and
G"3".

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 19:14:53 -0700, Bob wrote:

No thank you. Maybe a day sail AFTER your boat works. Slow down. Fix
your boat. Learn to sail.

And learn to manage your cruise to avoid fatigue.

Fatigue at crucial junctures can be fatal.

No joke.
Bob Bob is offline

On Jul 26, 8:27 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 19:14:53 -0700, Bob wrote:
No thank you. Maybe a day sail AFTER your boat works. Slow down. Fix
your boat. Learn to sail.

And learn to manage your cruise to avoid fatigue.

Fatigue at crucial junctures can be fatal.

No joke.

MSG SKIP/G//BE ADVISED//WAYNE/B//HE TELL TRUTH////