Jonathan

Default Newport to Sandy Hook,via East River

I am contemplating taking a cruise with my 13 year old daughter this
coming August, with the end destination the Shrewsbury River, in NJ,
where I grew up.

I would like to solicit thoughts as to somewhat "kid friendly" places to
stop. I keep leaving the pertinent chart on the boat, but have thought
stopping in Mystic to see the Seaport, and possibly the
South Street Seaport (if there is dockage nearby, not evident from the
website).

My memory is that Stonington has a nice anchorage, perhaps to sail her
dinghy around after the days travels, but after that I draw a blank. Any
suggestions?

Thanks,

Jonathan
--
I am building a Dudley Dix, Argie 10 for my daughter. Check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr
Armond Perretta

Jonathan wrote:
I am contemplating taking a cruise with my 13 year old daughter this
coming August, with the end destination the Shrewsbury River, in NJ,
where I grew up.

I would like to solicit thoughts as to somewhat "kid friendly" places
to stop. I keep leaving the pertinent chart on the boat, but have
thought stopping in Mystic to see the Seaport, and possibly the
South Street Seaport (if there is dockage nearby, not evident from the
website).

My memory is that Stonington has a nice anchorage, perhaps to sail her
dinghy around after the days travels, but after that I draw a blank.
Any suggestions?

What kind of boat, how much time do you have, how much experience, etc.,
etc. The details are important.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Jonathan

Armond Perretta wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

I am contemplating taking a cruise with my 13 year old daughter this
coming August, with the end destination the Shrewsbury River, in NJ,
where I grew up.

I would like to solicit thoughts as to somewhat "kid friendly" places
to stop. I keep leaving the pertinent chart on the boat, but have
thought stopping in Mystic to see the Seaport, and possibly the
South Street Seaport (if there is dockage nearby, not evident from the
website).

My memory is that Stonington has a nice anchorage, perhaps to sail her
dinghy around after the days travels, but after that I draw a blank.
Any suggestions?

What kind of boat, how much time do you have, how much experience, etc.,
etc. The details are important.

I have an Alberg 35, I have sailed for 40 years, but outside of
deliveries, most of my cruising has been around Buzzards Bay, Cutty,
Block, Vineyard, etc. Brought 24 ft sloop up the East River in 1980, an
Islander 44 in 1997. Last time it was three days from Monmouth Beach to
Newport. Monmouth Beach to City Island, City Island to Old Lyme, and Old
Lyme to Newport.

I was hoping someone based on Long Island sound might pipe up with some
info not necessarily in the cruising/port guide.

Thanks,

Jonathan
--
I am building a Dudley Dix, Argie 10 for my daughter. Check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr
David&Joan

Jonathan:

I have done that trip back and forth a few times. Stonington has an ok
anchorage but not great- somewhat rolly due to passing ship traffic. Mystic
Seaport is a much better stop in that neighborhood. It is almost magical to
walk through the Seaport after dark when all of the tourists have left.
Makes you think you have shifted back in time a few centuries.

We usually stop in Essex on the Connecticut River as our next stop heading
west. Anchor out or take a mooring. The inn (name forgotten) with its sea
chanty entertainment is interesting if not funky.

After Essex you should be able to make Huntington Bay. You can anchor just
outside of the inner harbor or get a mooring or a slip inside.

Then next through Hells Gate and the delights of NYC. The 79th st Boat Basin
is the best deal in NYC. Moorings are $20 per night. You need a good dinghy
and o/b to get to the docks as the current will be strong. You can walk to
the subway and get to anywhere in NYC from there.

Then it is an easy day sail to Sandy Hook.

David

Gogarty

In article ,
says...

I am contemplating taking a cruise with my 13 year old daughter this
coming August, with the end destination the Shrewsbury River, in NJ,
where I grew up.

I would like to solicit thoughts as to somewhat "kid friendly" places to
stop. I keep leaving the pertinent chart on the boat, but have thought
stopping in Mystic to see the Seaport, and possibly the
South Street Seaport (if there is dockage nearby, not evident from the
website).

My memory is that Stonington has a nice anchorage, perhaps to sail her
dinghy around after the days travels, but after that I draw a blank. Any
suggestions?

World's Fair Marina on Flushing Bay. Cheap. Ten minutes to subway and half
hour to Manhattan from there. Baseball games at Shea Stadium five minutes
away. Far better than anyplace on Manhattan for many reasons. Time the
tides right and it's straight shot to Sandy Hook in four or five hours with
a most spectacular trip down the East River with a five knot current and
around the Battery or through Buttermilk Channel to the Narrows and then
across the lower Bay and Raritan Bay. Anchor in Horseshoe Cove (rolly with
the wrong wind but OK) and take in the Shrewsbury and Highlands at your
leisure.

There is no dockage at the Seaport. Some of the Seaport's vessels have
moved to World's Fair Marina (Lettie G. Howard). Take the subway to the
Seaport.

From Stonington, go Pt. Jefferson then Flushing Bay. Or many other stops.
Mattituck is a good one. Good town dock with showers and town and ice cream
in walking distance. Oyster Bay another. Brave the Sand Hole. Have fun.

Harlan Lachman

In article ,
Jonathan wrote:

Armond Perretta wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

[...]

Jonathan, let me second the recommendation of the Mystic Seaport Museum.
It is so cool to spend a full day there and see it (and the nearby
Aquarium -- the Ballard exhibit is the best I have ever seen) and as
pointed out to see it at night when visitors have left.

Depending on the kid, the Thimble Islands. Even as a kid I found them
the most beautiful place on the Sound. We never took the water taxis
ashore and its on the way.

Or an alternative in the same area. . .

My son loved playing in fresh water pools. There was a CT shore marina
South of Mystic heavily recommended. I think it was the Cedar Island
Marina ( in Clinton CT). (We stayed at Star Island in Montauk and I took
him to the pool and the Lighthouse) but then we were not going to NYC.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?
Jonathan

Thanks all for the suggestions. Any recommendation beats randomly
throwing a dart at a chart, a system which found me pulling into
Bridgeport one evening, 25 years ago. I'll be taking a look at my
charts this weekend.

Jonathan

Gogarty wrote:

In article ,

[...]