Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Master and Commander --the movie

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 12:59:10 -0500, Gogarty
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I don't know what you were looking for. I found lots of interesting
details. A couple of examples:

My guess was he was looking for a balanced and engrossing screenplay and
action.
Glad you enjoyed the setwork and props.
Master and Commander is not good filmmaking.

My thought exactly. I appreciated the fidelity to period detail (except
for Dr. Maturin stumbling upon Origin of Species sometime before Darwin
got around to it).

I found that amusing. Of course, it isn't impossible that some people
noticed some of those things before Darwin. Indeed, we know they did,
but not in the Galapagos AFIK.

But that basically was the problem with the picture --
it was a catalog, not a story. Might have helped had I understood one
word in a hundred. Badly needed subtitles.

I had no trouble understanding the sound track, but your point is well
taken. Whenever the dialect may be difficult, titles are a good idea.
I couldn't have followed Riff-raff or Trainspotters without them.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Be careful. The toe you stepped on yesterday may be connected to the ass you have to kiss today." --Former mayor Ciancia

Bobsprit

Master and Commander is not good filmmaking.

I bow to your authoritative judgement. I enjoyed the film.

In that case you might also enjoy: Cat in the Hat, Problem Child 2, and Jaws 4.

RB