Ken Heaton

Default Master and Commander --the movie

Alas, you may end up disappointed there. It seem to me they shot most of
the sailing scenes on days when there wasn't much wind. Most of the boat
speed seems to come from the engines. There is one storm scene though...
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

"DSK" wrote in message
Read the books

Gogarty wrote:
I have. All of them. And all the spinoffs too.

How about Dudley Pope and Alexander Kent?

With all the good sailing yarns out there to read, I just can't get

excited
about Patrick O'Brian. I am looking forward to seeing the movie, but

mostly just
to see the sailing scenes.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Chuck Bollinger

Gogarty wrote:

Has anyone seen this movie? I did yesterday. Disappointing. No depth at
all.

Yes, like another complex effort: "Dune". Frank Herbert, the author, complained
that the movie should have been titled "Scenes from Dune".

Parhaps the most distinguishing feature of the POB books is the slow pace.
Apparently POB was a fan of Louisa May Alcott with her detail, and it is said
that one of the volumes, in which the story is entirely (?) on land, is a
tribute to her. For that reason, it would seem impossible to accomplish the
feel of the books in a movie. And, really, try to think of the movie you would
produce from the real M&C, volume 1. By the time you got the music recital
where A meets M and challenges him, to the promotion, re-meeting and dinner,
fitting the Sophie - there's an hour gone just doing that properly, and they
haven't even got underway.

The diametrical opposite of POB's books are Patrick Cornwell, "Sharp" series, in
which this incredible (literally) ubermench of a junior officer winds up
hobnobbing with Nelson and all sorts of stuff. I couldn't stand it - too MTV.

I do hope that there will be future movies and that they will serve the
population of loyal readers by developing characters and such. Nevertheless, as
a production, it certainly conveyed the confusion of a naval battle, boarding,
and such. And the image of that guy sitting on the 'seat of ease' as the camera
panned down the port side in the snow - that's going to stay with me for a long
time.

Rufus

The SF Chronicle ran an article about POB about 2 weeks ago. In the
nineties one of our big business successes from HP who loves sailing
read all his books, and invited POB over for a cruise on the west coast
on our moguls 50' (ketch?). All parties reported great enjoyment, but
the show stopper was that POB displayed a _total_ ignorance of sailing -
couldn't be trusted at the helm and hadn't a clue about the methods or
capabilities of a boat. Completely charming old racanteur (sp?) though,
and impressively brilliant, eccentric, and "old school".

Rufus

Chuck Bollinger wrote:

Gogarty wrote:

[...]

Don White

Do you motor or sail Ken? Bras d'or Lakes or ocean?

Ken Heaton wrote in message
I saw the movie Master and Commander and was disappointed. I started off
enjoying it but became annoyed with it before the end. I've recently
finished The Truelove (the 16th?) in the series and am enjoying them
immensely. I'll second the "lacked depth" review.

You referred to spin-offs. To what do you refer? Titles please, or
whatever.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

Ken Heaton

"Don White" wrote in message
Do you motor or sail Ken? Bras d'or Lakes or ocean?

Sail. Start and finish the season in and around Sydney Harbour. Summers in
the Bras d'Or Lakes. We don't own a boat yet (except for a Laser II) but
crew on, and have use of, a C&C 35 Mark I and also a Paceship Blue Jacket.
Or go out with friends of course.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada