Jens Teglman

Default catalina 38 1979

Can anybody tell me how the Catalia 38 is for offshore cruising.
Thanks Jim

Jere Lull

Jens Teglman wrote:

Can anybody tell me how the Catalia 38 is for offshore cruising.
Thanks Jim

What's your definition of offshore? And how likely are you to actually
do that?

For what it's worth, our 28' Tanzer is rated for near-shore or
protected, I forget which, but our insurer (BOAT/U.S.) includes 50 or
100 miles off of the East coast in their definition. I wouldn't hesitate
to take her down the thornless path to the VIs or a short hop around the
ICW. Two of her sisters crossed the pond to the Med and back on their
own keels, one twice. I'd hesitate on that, but that's because I don't
trust my skills, not because I don't trust the boat.

I expect the Catalina 38 to be at least as capable if the critical
systems have been inspected and repaired or replaced as necessary.

At 24 years young, a boat's suitability is highly personal, depending
upon everything that's happened to her in that period.

In other words, get a SURVEY and make sure the surveyor knows what your
actual plans are. If you might someday, possibly, head down to the
Caribbean or Mexico, the requirements are far different than "We're
heading around the world next October 1."

--
Jere Lull

Lloyd Sumpter

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:09:14 +0000, Jens Teglman wrote:

Can anybody tell me how the Catalia 38 is for offshore cruising. Thanks Jim

Well, I have a 1983 Catalina 36 and I'm probably taking it "offshore" (at least
WCVI) next summer. I took her up the coast to Ocean Falls (mainly "inside
passage") a few years ago. Talked to a guy who sailed his 36 up from San
Fransisco by way of Tahiti, so It Can Be Done.

They're a little "light" for Serious Offshore, and probably need some beefing up
(like the mainsheet track!), but would probably be fine.

In short, I wouldn't take it around the Horn, but for coastal hopping or maybe
to Hawaii, they're fine.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Rick Barner

In 2003 a C38 took first in it's class in the TransPac.

Go to: http://www.tradewindssailing.com/transpac_updates.htm and read his log.

BTW, my 1982 is for sale located in Erie, PA, all new sails etc. $46,900

"Jens Teglman" wrote in message news:_65xb.502736$9l5.185780@pd7tw2no...
Can anybody tell me how the Catalia 38 is for offshore cruising.
Thanks Jim

Ryk

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:09:14 GMT, in message
"Jens Teglman" wrote:

Can anybody tell me how the Catalia 38 is for offshore cruising.

I raced on a Catalina 38 in 90 and 91. We sailed hard in some pretty
heavy weather and blew up a lot of gear (traveller, sheet blocks,
etc.), but never had any problems with the main components of the hull
and rig. On one occasion we got creamed by a microburst that slammed
the masthead into the water and held it there a couple of minutes
because the cleat had been sucked into the main sheet block and
couldn't be released. We were all quite impressed with the strength of
the boat.

Ryk

Ryk

"Jens Teglman" wrote:

Can anybody tell me how the Catalia 38 is for offshore cruising.

I raced on a Catalina 38 in 90 and 91. We sailed hard in some pretty
heavy weather and blew up a lot of gear (traveller, sheet blocks,
etc.), but never had any problems with the main components of the hull
and rig. On one occasion we got creamed by a microburst that slammed
the masthead into the water and held it there a couple of minutes
because the cleat had been sucked into the main sheet block and
couldn't be released. We were all quite impressed with the strength of
the boat.

Ryk

Catalina 25' Maintenance Help Bud Curtis Boat Building 6 April 17th 04 02:30 PM
1979 Glastron Fake djb General 1 February 17th 04 01:26 PM
Docs on Chris Craft Catalina Andy Warner Cruising 1 October 8th 03 02:04 AM
Columbia 9.6 vs. Catalina 30 Need Buying Advice R. Gray Cruising 7 September 22nd 03 11:37 AM
Catalina 30 barry kay Cruising 7 September 10th 03 07:20 AM