Jere Lull

Default catalina 38 1979

Jens Teglman wrote:

Can anybody tell me how the Catalia 38 is for offshore cruising.
Thanks Jim

What's your definition of offshore? And how likely are you to actually
do that?

For what it's worth, our 28' Tanzer is rated for near-shore or
protected, I forget which, but our insurer (BOAT/U.S.) includes 50 or
100 miles off of the East coast in their definition. I wouldn't hesitate
to take her down the thornless path to the VIs or a short hop around the
ICW. Two of her sisters crossed the pond to the Med and back on their
own keels, one twice. I'd hesitate on that, but that's because I don't
trust my skills, not because I don't trust the boat.

I expect the Catalina 38 to be at least as capable if the critical
systems have been inspected and repaired or replaced as necessary.

At 24 years young, a boat's suitability is highly personal, depending
upon everything that's happened to her in that period.

In other words, get a SURVEY and make sure the surveyor knows what your
actual plans are. If you might someday, possibly, head down to the
Caribbean or Mexico, the requirements are far different than "We're
heading around the world next October 1."

--
Jere Lull