Lloyd Sumpter

Default catalina 38 1979

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:09:14 +0000, Jens Teglman wrote:

Can anybody tell me how the Catalia 38 is for offshore cruising. Thanks Jim

Well, I have a 1983 Catalina 36 and I'm probably taking it "offshore" (at least
WCVI) next summer. I took her up the coast to Ocean Falls (mainly "inside
passage") a few years ago. Talked to a guy who sailed his 36 up from San
Fransisco by way of Tahiti, so It Can Be Done.

They're a little "light" for Serious Offshore, and probably need some beefing up
(like the mainsheet track!), but would probably be fine.

In short, I wouldn't take it around the Horn, but for coastal hopping or maybe
to Hawaii, they're fine.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36