Default Sailing instruments - need new one - recommendations?

My old Signets are tired after 31 years. Looking for new ones -
Important - very reliable (never need repairs) - inexpensive - long
lasting. Not important - integrated - networked - laptop connected -
autopilot connected. No racer, geek, dreamer stuff needed.

wrote in message
news
My old Signets are tired after 31 years. Looking for new ones -
Important - very reliable (never need repairs) - inexpensive - long
lasting. Not important - integrated - networked - laptop connected -
autopilot connected. No racer, geek, dreamer stuff needed.

I put Navman 3100 Series depth and speed on Essie, with the 3150 Analog
Wind. Wind unit had to go back for repairs (display, not sender) after the
first season, but has worked flawlessly ever since.

wrote in message
news
My old Signets are tired after 31 years. Looking for new ones -
Important - very reliable (never need repairs) - inexpensive - long
lasting. Not important - integrated - networked - laptop connected -
autopilot connected. No racer, geek, dreamer stuff needed.

I have a combination of Raymarine (autohelm/gps) and Datamarine
(knotmeter/depth). All have worked flawlessly for many years (last 6-8
according to the previous owner) and for the last year according to me. They
talk to each other.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
news

Pictu http://www.sailnow.photosite.com/Exc...SCN0034_2.html

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

In article , wrote:

My old Signets are tired after 31 years. Looking for new ones -
Important - very reliable (never need repairs) - inexpensive - long
lasting. Not important - integrated - networked - laptop connected -
autopilot connected. No racer, geek, dreamer stuff needed.

You don't specify your type of use (weekend cruising, gunk hole
transport, weeks offshore, etc.). Obviously, usage determines function
and recommendation.

But I have a different take than your other respondents.

Buy a Garmin Fortrex 101 (
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=260)
and you can save on the cost of getting and installing an inaccurate
speedo. I love this little gem. You can get as geeky as you want. Check
on your course plottings with lat and long readings within 19 feet or so
(and it tells you what accuracy to expect). Set some marks and get a
simple way to adjust to getting on course. If you can wear a watch you
can wear this.

That means you need is a compass (I like the now discontinued wireless,
mast mounted TackTick,
http://www.tacktick.com/2007Tacktick...iew.asp?prod=4)

Digital, no holes on boat, easy to read day or night, no wires. Easily
stored.

Except for the depth sounder, no holes or wires in your gel coat or
boat. And you get more accurate information.

I have not found a very good, affordable depth gauge. I use the wireless
TackTick. I like the lack of wires. But one needs a display,
transmitter, and bracket.

Good luck. More than a quarter century is time for an upgrade. At least
that is what my wife keeps telling me.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 19:21:59 -0700, a wrote:

My old Signets are tired after 31 years. Looking for new ones -
Important - very reliable (never need repairs) - inexpensive - long
lasting. Not important - integrated - networked - laptop connected -
autopilot connected. No racer, geek, dreamer stuff needed.

I've been impressed with the wireless/solar Tacktick stuff. It seems
expensive, but not if you consider the cost of wiring -- especially if you
have to pay someone else to do that.

Matt O.

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:36:03 -0400, Gogarty
wrote:

Moore Instruments

It appears to actually be MOOR ELECTRONICS ??

http://www.moorelectronics.com/

Learning to sail the USA way. ARG ASA 82 March 23rd 06 01:10 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 January 13th 06 05:32 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 March 6th 05 05:29 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 November 10th 04 05:22 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 September 10th 04 05:16 AM