Skip Gundlach

Default LaVac and replacement

We're looking at a boat with these heads, probably new. However, the piping
(apparently) needed for them, and the pump, both, on the wall, is very
off-putting to Lydia.

That they're part of a recent refit is an annoyance, but my stance is that
to replace marine heads is merely background noise in a purchase
consideration.

BICBW :{))

So, how big a deal is it to swap these out for the more typical pumpers?

L8R

Skip

Peggie Hall

Skip Gundlach wrote:
We're looking at a boat with these heads, probably new. However, the piping
(apparently) needed for them, and the pump, both, on the wall, is very
off-putting to Lydia.

That they're part of a recent refit is an annoyance, but my stance is that
to replace marine heads is merely background noise in a purchase
consideration.
So, how big a deal is it to swap these out for the more typical pumpers?

Weelll...the good news is, you can prob'ly get a good price for
relatively new Lavacs on eBay. Sell 'em separately and be sure to
include the pumps. Someone here might even want 'em.

Since you have to re-hose anyway, it's not that much more of a job to
replace the toilets. In fact, that's the easiest part of the job.

As long as you have to do it, now would also be the best time to make
any needed changes (if any)in the layout of the sanitation system. I'll
be glad to help you do it if you want to get with me via email.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Skip Gundlach

Thanks - I'll come back at you if I can resurrect the interest, and we buy
it. BTW, I still have you at sbcglobal in my address book - is that
correct?

L8R

Skip, former lake-mate
"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
Skip Gundlach wrote:
[...]

Peggie Hall

Skip Gundlach wrote:
Thanks - I'll come back at you if I can resurrect the interest, and we buy
it. BTW, I still have you at sbcglobal in my address book - is that
correct?

Stick a dot after "peg" to get my new address.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Karin Conover-Lewis

Skip

Swapping out a Lavac with a "regular pumper" isn't any more difficult than
the other way around, but the first time you have to rebuild the innards of
that "regular pumper" you'll be kicking yourself, hard. There's really
nothing in the Lavac that can break down or wear out, with the exception of
the huge (and dry) gaskets that seal the lid and seat. They are very
difficult to clog and very easy to repair. No joker valves soaking in
effluent, no little tiny o rings or any of that stuff. From time to time
you'll need to rebuild the diaphragm pump, but it's probably mounted on the
bulkhead above the bowl and stays dry most of the time -- particularly while
you're doing that quick overhaul.

Tell Lydia it's a boat, not a condo. If she is adamant, hide the hoses
behind a false bulkhead. ;-)

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"Skip Gundlach"
.due.to.spam wrote in
message ink.net...
We're looking at a boat with these heads, probably new. However, the

piping
(apparently) needed for them, and the pump, both, on the wall, is very
off-putting to Lydia.

That they're part of a recent refit is an annoyance, but my stance is that
to replace marine heads is merely background noise in a purchase
consideration.

BICBW :{))

So, how big a deal is it to swap these out for the more typical pumpers?

L8R

Skip

Peggie Hall

Karin Conover-Lewis wrote:
Skip

Swapping out a Lavac with a "regular pumper" isn't any more difficult than
the other way around, but the first time you have to rebuild the innards of
that "regular pumper" you'll be kicking yourself, hard. There's really
nothing in the Lavac that can break down or wear out, with the exception of
the huge (and dry) gaskets that seal the lid and seat. They are very
difficult to clog and very easy to repair. No joker valves soaking in
effluent, no little tiny o rings or any of that stuff. From time to time
you'll need to rebuild the diaphragm pump, but it's probably mounted on the
bulkhead above the bowl and stays dry most of the time -- particularly while
you're doing that quick overhaul.

Why would rebuilding a remote diaphragm pump every 5 years that's just
as likely to have waste left in it as any other toilet pump be a more
pleasant or easier job than rebuilding any other toilet pump? As for
joker valve soaking in effluent, flushing would have to be so minimal as
to leave waste still sitting in the bowl for that to happen.

While it IS true that diaphragm pumps require less
maintenance--primarily when it comes to lubrication--than
piston/cylinder pumps, the only toilet BOWL that requires any at all is
the Lavac. And a good quality piston/cylinder pump shouldn't require
rebuilding any more often than a diaphragm pump, provided it is kept
properly lubricated. 99% of problems with toilets (and most other things
on a boat too) are self-inflicted by owners--neglect...attempting to
flush things that household toilets may be able to swallow, but marine
toilets can't...and cheap equipment.

The Lavac is an excellent toilet, but it's not necessarily the best
toilet for everyone in all situations...no toilet is. The "best" toilet
for any boat depends on who's gonna use it, and a whole bunch of
factors...not the least of which is comfort level with its operation.
And the "right" toilet for a novice bride whose husband is hoping to
turn into a blue water sailor in time can always be replaced later when
she's ready to accept something different. Meanwhile, it's important
that she be as comfortable with using the boat's equipment as possible,
or she may never get there.

Peggie