Default Snap shackle pulls

I've seen snap shackle pulls that are some variation of a hangman's noose.
I tried but I'm doing something wrong because they come apart after a couple
of uses. Does anyone have a link to how to tie these properly?

--
Roger Long

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:31:49 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I've seen snap shackle pulls that are some variation of a hangman's noose.
I tried but I'm doing something wrong because they come apart after a couple
of uses. Does anyone have a link to how to tie these properly?

I make my own using nylon cord about 1/8 in diameter. Start out with
a double half hitch, and then keep adding more hitches until you get
to the length you want. Cut off the free ends with a sharp knife and
fuse them with a heat source (usually the galley stove in my case,
while my wife looks on askance).

I think I figured it out. Standard hangman (I was doing it backward) with
the noose through the shackle ring. Pull tight, leaving a good length on
the end you put through the locking loop, and then tie off the bitter end
and a the free end with a square knot. Trim and fuse the knot in the galley
stove with wife looking on in horror and holding her nose.

--
Roger Long

wrote:

I've seen snap shackle pulls that are some variation of a hangman's noose.
I tried but I'm doing something wrong because they come apart after a
couple
of uses. Does anyone have a link to how to tie these properly?

I make my own using nylon cord about 1/8 in diameter. Start out with
a double half hitch, and then keep adding more hitches until you get
to the length you want. Cut off the free ends with a sharp knife and
fuse them with a heat source (usually the galley stove in my case,
while my wife looks on askance).

If you want a really sexy lanyard, five tails in a flat braid (two doubled
lengths plus one, bury the free end of the middle strand) finished off in a
star knot is the cat's meow.

Somebody wrote:

I make my own using nylon cord about 1/8 in diameter.

Sold in the big box stores in 50 ft hanks packaged in a plastic bag,
and labeled parachute cord.

Also useful for general purpose lanyards.

Lew

Bob Bob is offline

wrote:

I've seen snap shackle pulls that are some variation of a hangman's noose.
I tried but I'm doing something wrong because they come apart after a
couple
of uses. Does anyone have a link to how to tie these properly?

I make my own using nylon cord about 1/8 in diameter. Start out with
a double half hitch, and then keep adding more hitches until you get
to the length you want. Cut off the free ends with a sharp knife and
fuse them with a heat source (usually the galley stove in my case,
while my wife looks on askance).

If you want a really sexy lanyard, five tails in a flat braid (two doubled
lengths plus one, bury the free end of the middle strand) finished off in a
star knot is the cat's meow.

ya, thats the ticket. Didnt we make thoes at summer camp only used
that thin plastic stuff and put them on a key chain as a key fob??? I
seem to remember red and white and maybe pink.

Then in the 70s it was macrame plant hangers.... Now I got it.....

Bob

oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

So you equate practicing nautical arts with summer camp? Ummmm...okay. I
learned how to tie a bowline in summer camp -- guess that makes them passe.

Bob Bob is offline

On Jun 13, 7:34 am, "KLC Lewis" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

Then in the 70s it was macrame plant hangers.... Now I got it.....

Bob

So you equate practicing nautical arts with summer camp? Ummmm...okay. I

learned how to tie a bowline in summer camp -- guess that makes them passe.-

Hi:

passe............. never! I just get a bit rufled when some Mac26
driver scoffs at macrome and other fun kid/summer camp activities as
"kiddy stuff" or "girly stuff" Mending web (fishing net fixing)
consists of about four very basic knots common to knitting. Look at
macrome and ya got lots of square and granny knots. Then there is all
the half hitches that make great plant hangers. The world is full of
knots that most dont recognize as "He Man sailor stuff."

Knots are tools... And they can take some beautful forms.

Bob