Garland Gray II

Default Autopilot

Just read this thread, and have one comment: my experience w/ auto pilots is
that the flux gate compass must be a good distance away from an outboard
motor. 5ft, 6ft even. I've got some real stories about this.

"L. M. Rappaport" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:33:29 -0500, "Armond Perretta"
wrote (with possible editing):

...snip

I have written about autopilots here before, but just to bring you up to
day, I now carry 3 tiller pilots. I had an instance 2 or 3 years ago

where
both of the 2 then on board went out. A short while after that I
cracked a part of the windvane self-steerer.

So now it's 3 tiller pilots and the repaired Navik. Hmmmmm.

How do they attach to the tiller? Do any of them attach to a wheel?
Do you think any of them might be adaptable to my situation?

Thanks,
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

L. M. Rappaport

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:46:30 -0500, "Armond Perretta"
wrote (with possible editing):

....snip

Do you think any of them might be adaptable to my situation?

I am afraid I don't exactly really your situation.

18.5' Bomabardier Utopia 185, a jet boat powered by a 200 hp Merc jet.
Basically a bow-rider runabout. Boat handles well on plane, but you
can't take your hands off the wheel.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

L. M. Rappaport

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:17:44 -0500, "Garland Gray II"
wrote (with possible editing):

Just read this thread, and have one comment: my experience w/ auto pilots is
that the flux gate compass must be a good distance away from an outboard
motor. 5ft, 6ft even. I've got some real stories about this.

Thanks. No outboard, the boat is powered by a 200 hp Mercury jet.
The wheel is forward of the engine by several feet, and I could move a
flux gate compass several feet forward if necessary. In addition, I
believe I could have access to a NEMA stream from the Garmin GPS/Fish
finder, if I needed it.

My biggest question is how or perhaps if I can interface the hydraulic
or electric unit with the steering system.

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

Peter Bennett

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:29:44 GMT, L. M. Rappaport
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:17:44 -0500, "Garland Gray II"
wrote (with possible editing):

Just read this thread, and have one comment: my experience w/ auto pilots is
that the flux gate compass must be a good distance away from an outboard
motor. 5ft, 6ft even. I've got some real stories about this.

Thanks. No outboard, the boat is powered by a 200 hp Mercury jet.
The wheel is forward of the engine by several feet, and I could move a
flux gate compass several feet forward if necessary. In addition, I
believe I could have access to a NEMA stream from the Garmin GPS/Fish
finder, if I needed it.

My biggest question is how or perhaps if I can interface the hydraulic
or electric unit with the steering system.

I believe AutoHelm (now RayMarine) has an autopilot that mounts on the
wheel - specifically for outboard or other mechanically-steered small
boats.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI

Auto Pilot Richard Malcolm General 7 February 26th 04 04:04 AM
Autopilot Autohelm Joseph Friess Cruising 0 September 24th 03 11:12 AM
Autopilot decision: Raymarine ST4000 vs Simrad 30 LaBomba182 Cruising 1 September 4th 03 03:32 PM
Not to blame the victim . . . BUT : [email protected] Cruising 4 August 13th 03 12:32 AM
autopilot GAZ General 0 July 23rd 03 03:57 AM