L. M. Rappaport

Default Autopilot

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:58:49 -0500, Rodney Myrvaagnes
wrote (with possible editing):

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:53:41 GMT, L. M. Rappaport
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:37:07 GMT, "Daniel E. Best"
wrote (with possible editing):

Larry,
I'm not at all familiar with your boat, but would there be any way to
rig a tiller pilot to work? These are devices designed to by used by
sailboats w/ a tiller, but are often also used with some wind vanes
(like the monitor). They steer the boat to a compass heading, but most
can also be interfaced to accept NEMA and steer to a waypoint. Cost new
starts about $300

Dan,

Thanks for the tip. I'm not familiar with tiller pilots that
accept NEMA data, but now that I know there are some, I'll definitely
take a look. Thanks.

If all you need is to hold a straight line, you don't even need to
hook up the NMEA. The autopilot will follow the magnetic course you
start it on with its internal fluxgate compass.

I don't know how to mount a tiller pilot on a motor boat. I use one on
my sailboat with the emergency tiller. I do plan to hook up the NMEA
but it works without it.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Thanks, guys,

Well, I did a little research and I'm not sure a tiller pilot
would work. The inexpensive models seem to be designed to connect to
a conventional tiller. When you step up a bit, it looks like you
replace the wheel with a new assembly.

I'm going to have to first figure out what kind of steering
linkage is being used he I know it's not cables, but I don't know
if it's hydraulic or mechanical. Then I have to figure out how much
travel, and whether or not you can move the jet without turning the
wheel; i.e., if you turn the jet, does the wheel move or does it even
matter....

I'll keep looking and report back here. I tried two suppliers
yesterday, but both said I needed to talk to the manufacturer. The
manufacturer says I need to talk to the dealer. The dealer doesn't
know... Figures...

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
Armond Perretta

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

If all you need is to hold a straight line, you don't even need to
hook up the NMEA. The autopilot will follow the magnetic course you
start it on with its internal fluxgate compass.

I will pick nits here, Rodney, but mostly semantic nits. The idea behind
the NMEA autopilot interface is to have the vessel _maintain_ a straight (or
more accurately rhumb) line course. If the autopilot is set merely to
follow a magnetic compass course, then the resultant track will be at the
mercy of currents, wind, leeway, etc.
..
--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Dan Best

Larry, you described this as a jet ski. Does it have a wheel or handle
bars? I was envisioning more of a handle bar like arrangement and
rigging some way to connect the ram to one of the handle bars. Some of
the wheel pilots (like the one I have) afix a small rim to the inside of
a wheel that a belt goes around to actually turn the wheel.

Good luck - Dan

wrote:

[...]

Dan Best - (707) 431-1662, Healdsburg, CA 95448
B-2/75 1977-1979
Tayana 37 #192, "Tricia Jean"
http://rangerbest.home.comcast.net/TriciaJean.JPG

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:08:14 -0500, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

If all you need is to hold a straight line, you don't even need to
hook up the NMEA. The autopilot will follow the magnetic course you
start it on with its internal fluxgate compass.

I will pick nits here, Rodney, but mostly semantic nits. The idea behind
the NMEA autopilot interface is to have the vessel _maintain_ a straight (or
more accurately rhumb) line course. If the autopilot is set merely to
follow a magnetic compass course, then the resultant track will be at the
mercy of currents, wind, leeway, etc.
.

You are right, of course, and that is why I intend to hook up the NMEA
next spring. But my old autopilot, which had no such facility, could
hold a fairly straight course in motoring conditions for a few hours.
Until it gave up completely.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the
simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.
- Richard Dawkins, "Viruses of the Mind"

L. M. Rappaport

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:58:39 GMT, Dan Best wrote
(with possible editing):

Larry, you described this as a jet ski. Does it have a wheel or handle
bars? I was envisioning more of a handle bar like arrangement and
rigging some way to connect the ram to one of the handle bars. Some of
the wheel pilots (like the one I have) afix a small rim to the inside of
a wheel that a belt goes around to actually turn the wheel.

Good luck - Dan

....snip

Dan,

Well, actually I said: "It is a jet boat powered by
a 200 hp Merc". At 18.5' it would be quite a personal watercraft!
Yes, it has a wheel. It seats 8 (6 comfortably) and looks like a
runabout for all intents and purposes. The only significant
difference is that it is powered by a jet with no lower unit or
anything below the keel to smash into rocks.

The wheel seems to be an enclosed unit with a cable or tube
coming out of it.

Thanks,
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

Armond Perretta

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote:
Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

If all you need is to hold a straight line, you don't even need to
hook up the NMEA. The autopilot will follow the magnetic course
you start it on with its internal fluxgate compass.

... If the autopilot is set merely to follow a magnetic compass
course, then the resultant track will be at the mercy of currents, wind,
leeway, etc.

You are right, of course, and that is why I intend to hook up the
NMEA next spring. But my old autopilot, which had no such facility,
could hold a fairly straight course in motoring conditions for a
few hours. Until it gave up completely.

I have written about autopilots here before, but just to bring you up to
day, I now carry 3 tiller pilots. I had an instance 2 or 3 years ago where
both of the 2 then on board went out. A short while after that I
cracked a part of the windvane self-steerer.

So now it's 3 tiller pilots and the repaired Navik. Hmmmmm.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Auto Pilot Richard Malcolm General 7 February 26th 04 04:04 AM
Autopilot Autohelm Joseph Friess Cruising 0 September 24th 03 11:12 AM
Autopilot decision: Raymarine ST4000 vs Simrad 30 LaBomba182 Cruising 1 September 4th 03 03:32 PM
Not to blame the victim . . . BUT : [email protected] Cruising 4 August 13th 03 12:32 AM
autopilot GAZ General 0 July 23rd 03 03:57 AM