Peter Bennett

Default Autopilot

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:29:44 GMT, L. M. Rappaport
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:17:44 -0500, "Garland Gray II"
wrote (with possible editing):

Just read this thread, and have one comment: my experience w/ auto pilots is
that the flux gate compass must be a good distance away from an outboard
motor. 5ft, 6ft even. I've got some real stories about this.

Thanks. No outboard, the boat is powered by a 200 hp Mercury jet.
The wheel is forward of the engine by several feet, and I could move a
flux gate compass several feet forward if necessary. In addition, I
believe I could have access to a NEMA stream from the Garmin GPS/Fish
finder, if I needed it.

My biggest question is how or perhaps if I can interface the hydraulic
or electric unit with the steering system.

I believe AutoHelm (now RayMarine) has an autopilot that mounts on the
wheel - specifically for outboard or other mechanically-steered small
boats.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI