Default roasting green coffee beans

Some sailors prefer to carry green coffee beans on board and roast them as
need it.
I wonder what is the best method to roast the beans on a sailboat?

* wrote, On 5/24/2007 7:58 PM:
Some sailors prefer to carry green coffee beans on board and roast them as
need it.
I wonder what is the best method to roast the beans on a sailboat?

I've roasted most of the coffee I've consumed over the last 15 years.
I've had many of the small home roasting appliances; currently I use
a Gene Cafe which does a half pound at a time. A bit pricey, but
automatic and repeatable. However, lots of people make do with
simpler devices, such as a drum on a BBQ, or the latest craze, a metal
dog bowl and a heat gun.

However, on the boat I've use a WhirlyPop:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.stovetop-popper.shtml

There are a number of advantages to home roasting: you can save a lot
of money, given that green beans are about 60% of roasted, or less. I
generally buy the highest quality I can find, paying $6-8 for stuff
that would go for $15 at Whole Foods. After the Kona harvest I get
about 12 pounds at $12 per, and stash most in the freezer. This is
the stuff that when roasted goes for $25. If you prefer, you can get
high quality green for $5 or even less.

For short vacations on the boat I roast up a lot at home, then weigh
out single "doses" into small baggies. I put 6 in a bag, vacuum seal
it, and put it in the freezer. The WhirlyPop is only used if we're
out longer than a month. It has a major drawback in that it generates
copious amounts of smoke, more than you could do in a marina. I would
only pull it out in a secluded anchorage.

FWIW, I brew on the boat with a manual drip using a paper filter (for
easy cleanup) into a Thermos. I also carry a French Press for variety.
Joe Joe is offline

On May 24, 7:43 pm, Jeff wrote:
* wrote, On 5/24/2007 7:58 PM:

[...]

Do you pay shipping on top of the 12 bucks per pound for the Kona?
Do you have a good source list you could list?.

Joe

* Joe wrote, On 5/24/2007 9:18 PM:
On May 24, 7:43 pm, Jeff wrote:
I've roasted most of the coffee I've consumed over the last 15 years.

Do you pay shipping on top of the 12 bucks per pound for the Kona?

Yes, but they minimize cost by stuffing a lot into a fixed price USPS
box. They're the cheapest Kona source I've found, and its great
coffee. (And they're good people - I've met them and exchanged a
number of emails.)

Lately I've been buying at Terroir - very high quality, and local, so
I save on shipping.

Do you have a good source list you could list?.

For Kona:
http://smithfarms.com/

For general high quality plus gear and info:
www.sweetmarias.com

For the best:
http://www.terroircoffee.com/

And frankly, as much as I try, mine doesn't come out as good as the
best the some specialty roasters, such as Terroir, have to offer. But
its a lot cheaper, and I can always make it fresh to order.

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 24, 7:43 pm, Jeff wrote:
* wrote, On 5/24/2007 7:58 PM:

[...]

From reading your posting I take it that you grind your coffee at home.
Or you grind the beans on your sailboat?
With a 12 volts inverter I can always grind the coffee beans or would a
manual grinder be better.
The other thing is how long would green coffee beans last on a sailboat?

* wrote, On 5/25/2007 6:50 AM:
From reading your posting I take it that you grind your coffee at home.
Or you grind the beans on your sailboat?
With a 12 volts inverter I can always grind the coffee beans or would a
manual grinder be better.
The other thing is how long would green coffee beans last on a sailboat?

The single most important thing you can do to enjoy good coffee is to
grind it yourself within minutes of brewing. The decline in quality
is almost immediate and rapid after grinding, especially in a humid
environment. I mean no offense to those who love perc'd pre-ground
Maxwell House, or Star$ concoctions, but these drinks have little
resemblance to real coffee.

I use a good burr grinder, powered by inverter. There are good manual
grinders (Zassenhaus is the brand to look for) but this is a good time
to use electricity. One of my goals is repeatability, so I weigh the
beans (at home) and grind with the same settings, and measure the
water carefully. For this reason I avoid things like "whirly blade"
grinders and scoops.

After roasting, beans can be frozen, but you should pull out several
days worth and let it defrost while still sealed. You don't want to
open a cold bag in a humid environment - that creates condensation
which kills the beans. For this reason, storing beans for daily use
in the fridge is a big no-no. Those foil bags with the little valves
will keep beans quite good for several days up to a few weeks. If you
don't mind some degradation, you can believe the 90 day "best before"
time stamps, but I don't buy it.

The traditional wisdom is that green beans stay fresh for 6 to 18
months. However, this is very dependent on the conditions, and it
really applies to mediocre, commercial beans that don't have much to
lose. In the last few years, some of the highest grades of green has
been vacuumed bagged at the the source rather than using the
traditional jute bags. Recently, I attended a class where we tasted
coffee where the green beans had been stored normally for 6 months, a
year, and some that had been frozen. The frozen was clearly superior,
so now I stash excess beans in the freezer. This isn't practical on
most boats, so I would advise vacuum sealing in batches of several
pounds, and restocking every 6 months or so. BTW, a Tilia
"Foodsaver" vacuum sealer is a very handy gadget for preserving food,
coffee, and spare parts. Mine gets a workout ever summer in
preparation for cruises.

wrote in message

Some sailors prefer to carry green coffee beans on board and roast them as
need it.
I wonder what is the best method to roast the beans on a sailboat?

Once in the Marquesas Islands, a local used a cast iron skillet and just
stirred the home grown beans around until he achieved his desired color. I
guess it could be that simple.
Enjoy,
Clark

"CLARK NICHOLSON" wrote in message

wrote in message

Some sailors prefer to carry green coffee beans on board and roast them
as need it.
I wonder what is the best method to roast the beans on a sailboat?

Once in the Marquesas Islands, a local used a cast iron skillet and just
stirred the home grown beans around until he achieved his desired color. I
guess it could be that simple.
Enjoy,
Clark

I have hear of that, some English sailor using a cast iron skillet.
I have one and maybe it would be a good starter for me to learn while at
anchor.
At home, If I can find one dedicated coffee roaster I'll probally buy it.
In the meantime I may experiment with our convection owen.

wrote in message
Some sailors prefer to carry green coffee beans on board and roast them
as need it.
I wonder what is the best method to roast the beans on a sailboat?

Once in the Marquesas Islands, a local used a cast iron skillet and just
stirred the home grown beans around until he achieved his desired color. I
guess it could be that simple.
Enjoy,
Clark

I have hear of that, some English sailor using a cast iron skillet.
I have one and maybe it would be a good starter for me to learn while at
anchor.

Lots of smoke. I mean, *lots* of smoke. As in, I roast in my
basement with the benefit of a kitchen style exhaust hood feeding a
second exhaust fan. That's enough to prevent the smoke detector from
going off. Another problem is that the heat has to get up over 400
degrees for 5 minutes or more - this tends to scorch the pans, so
don't use the wife's favorites, and I wouldn't use teflon.

Use an outdoor BBQ with a whirlypop. As I mentioned, the stainless
dog bowl held with visegrips and heated with a heatgun is one way to
go. Its also possible to use certain models hot air popcorn poppers.
If these sound interesting, I can track down the links.

At home, If I can find one dedicated coffee roaster I'll probally buy it.
In the meantime I may experiment with our convection owen.

doesn't work.

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
[...]

Its nice to hear some hands on experience.
At the end of the day if I like it I may go for broke and buy a Stainless
Steel Stovetop Popper.
I am a little against that because space is at a premium on a sailboat.

green ground wire bobk123 General 9 November 23rd 06 06:26 PM
Corporate America gone amok... Chuck Gould General 20 November 2nd 06 06:52 AM
Coffee Thom Stewart ASA 12 August 18th 06 02:13 AM
Tully's Coffee? [email protected] General 2 March 17th 06 06:12 PM
Red over green mast lights for sailboat Lee Huddleston Cruising 16 September 10th 03 02:42 AM