Default Raymarine ST1000 cable mystery

Get this. I bought a Raymarine ST1000 tiller pilot last winter that came
with a handheld remote unit. Now it's time to install them.

The remote comes with a special three prong connector that is in the shape
of a rounded triangle. The autopilot has its own connector. The manual shows
the remote plugged into a series of SeaTalk units and a cable coming out of
those units with the color codes to connect to the proper terminals on the
autopilot connector.

However, I don't have any SeaTalk units. I just want to plug the remote
directly into the autopilot. They didn't supply any cable for this so I have
to run three wires or a three conductor cable between the autopilot
connector and the plug for the remote. But, big, big, butt. The remote unit
plug does not have any stampings indicating which wire goes to which pin!
Nowhere in the manual for either the autopilot or the remote is there a
diagram showing which pin corresponds to which conductor color or which pin
is supposed to connect to which terminal on the autopilot connector.

I've done some Google searching and can't find anything. I'll call Raymarine
tomorrow but they must be getting a lot of calls about this. I can't be the
only one who wants to use my remote without any other SeaTalk units in
between.

If anyone knows a link to the proper pin out diagram, please save me a call.

--
Roger Long

* Roger Long wrote, On 5/7/2007 5:31 PM:
[...]

The ST1000+ manual on the Raymarine site has the pinouts. You don't
mention the model of the remote, but mine came with pinouts described
- if its the same I can get mine from the boat tomorrow.

"Jeff" wrote

The ST1000+ manual on the Raymarine site has the pinouts.

Nope. The pinouts in the autopilot manual are not for the remote. BUT, I
just discovered the small separate manual for the remote hidden under the
box packaging where I must have misplaced it taking a quickl look at the
equipment last winter. The remote manual does have the pinouts although not
on the page showing a direct connnection.

Thanks for offering to take a look. I think I'm all set now.

--
Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

I've done some Google searching and can't find anything. I'll call
Raymarine tomorrow but they must be getting a lot of calls about this.
I can't be the only one who wants to use my remote without any other
SeaTalk units in between.

If anyone knows a link to the proper pin out diagram, please save me a
call.

--

http://raymarine.com/raymarine/Submi...opilots/ST1000
Plus&2000PlusTillerPilot.pdf

http://raymarine.com/raymarine/Submi...acy_Handbooks/
Autopilot/ST1000.pdf
Ah...that's better. This the one?

Look on page 49, ST1000 manual (sideways, dammit Raymarine!) It won't
rotate, either. 3 wires. +12, ground, seatalk.

On page 59 is the Seatalk to NMEA0183 converter box to get it to talk to
other stuff. 58 shows the remote control. Now, let's go to the
controller manual!

http://raymarine.com/raymarine/Submi...opilots/pilot_
handheld_remote.pdf
Here's your hookup...right on page 4...the controller uses Seatalk! It
plugs into a jack, Seatalk Cable D177 which just gives it a plug so you
can keep those light fingered transients from stealing it by locking it
up. Do you have the D177 that shows on page 4? If not, buy one from
Raymarine or the local dealer (pfat chance he's gonna have it).
D177 has the familiar 3 wires...red +12, screen (ground), yellow(data) of
any Seatalk gadget. It needs a separate 5A fuse, as you can see.

I bet the guy that had it had the mounted STxxxx display in his panel the
controller plugged into and threw the cable that came with it away long
ago. So, you either have to find a panel controller with the plug for it
or get this D177 cable, if it still exists.

I bet if we cut the plug off the end of the remote controller, we'll find
red and yellow and shield(ground) wires inside....negating having to buy
anything except some kind of cable clamp to keep you from pulling the
wires off a raw installation. That remote is a seatalk gadget that will
plug into any of the Seatalk autopilots...even an ST6000 on a page
further back!

There ya go! Now can I have the hand-autographed commemorative Titanic
crew picture?.....please??....(c; Need a crack electronic technician on
that next voyage with great references??

Larry W4CSC (some crew members come with Extra Class ham radio licenses,
which is handy...(c

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

"Jeff" wrote

The ST1000+ manual on the Raymarine site has the pinouts.

Nope. The pinouts in the autopilot manual are not for the remote.
BUT, I just discovered the small separate manual for the remote hidden
under the box packaging where I must have misplaced it taking a quickl
look at the equipment last winter. The remote manual does have the
pinouts although not on the page showing a direct connnection.

Thanks for offering to take a look. I think I'm all set now.

--
Roger Long

Sure hope that connector cable is in the box....??

Larry
--
This spammer called my cellphone:
First American Payment

Raj Raj is offline

There ya go! Now can I have the hand-autographed commemorative Titanic
crew picture?.....please??....(c; Need a crack electronic technician on
that next voyage with great references??

Larry W4CSC (some crew members come with Extra Class ham radio licenses,
which is handy...(c
--

Is this the same Larry that used to play in RTTY contests in the last cycle.
I think we worked a few times

"Raj" wrote in :

There ya go! Now can I have the hand-autographed commemorative
Titanic crew picture?.....please??....(c; Need a crack electronic
technician on that next voyage with great references??

Larry W4CSC (some crew members come with Extra Class ham radio
licenses, which is handy...(c
--

Is this the same Larry that used to play in RTTY contests in the last
cycle. I think we worked a few times
Raj
VE6RAJ

Wow! Yes! I used to be quite active on RTTY and HF Packet. Thank you
for remembering.

It's been quite a while since I was on the air. Internet consumes vast
quantities of free time, now. I used to be KN4IM and WB4THE before that.
I swore I'd never have a call with N or M in it, and certainly NOT BOTH
which was just awful on SSB....(c;

Nice to see you, yet again, on keyboard-to-keyboard. Got Skype? That's
my most active mode. I was just talking to a friend in Bahrain on Skype
a few minutes ago, colour video and all...

Larry
--
This spammer called my cellphone:
First American Payment
10101 E Arapaho Rd
Richardson, TX 75081
972-301-3766
They were nasty when I politely said I wasn't interested....(c;
Raj Raj is offline

Alright!
Nice to hook up with you again Larry. I haven't been on the air either since
about 2001. Too many interests and only so much time.
Sailing season is just starting here. I liver in Calgary, but spend the
summers in Vancouver. I have a Windward 28 that I sail out of there. This is
the year that I am going to doing some upgrades to the boat so it is going
to be another busy one. E.g. I only have a 20 gal fresh water tank. And with
the new gf I need to add a zero or two to that in order to last a week.
Replacing a bunch or canvas and v berth cushions, and trying to put some
order into the aft cockpit locker which right now is sort of like a huge
sink hole. Stuff just gets eaten up and disappears in there.

I have a ST1000 autopilot and was searching the web for a remote control for
it when I came across this thread. I don't have Skype, yet. One of these
days though.

Talk to you later
Raj
VE6RAJ

"Raj" wrote in :

I only have a 20 gal fresh water tank. And with
the new gf I need to add a zero

Aha! Girlfriend 2.2! Awfully messy, those. I don't understand how they
get so gooey...(c;

Lionheart's whole keel (Amel Sharki 41) is a giant 200 gallon fw tank.
Just taking a shower any ol' time the mood suits you is one of her
wonderful features the whole crew always enjoys. Flushing with fresh
just smells better....

I'd search Ebay for the remote control by the number I quoted on the
other post from its manual. Keep that URL for the manual. That
controller will work with any Seatalk autopilot and was used with lots of
models, not just yours. There should be many of them available. Make
sure you ask every marine electronics tech you meet, too. I'm seeing a
vision of one in a pasteboard box behind some old pullout electronics
next to a cluttered workbench full of old tools. Can you see it?...(c;

Larry
--
Raymarine's webpages also show a new remote controller that may work,
too! It's WIRELESS!
Raj Raj is offline

OK thanks Larry.
I went back thru the other posts and didn't see a model number for the
remote. I think it is an S100. If it isn't set me straight will ya. I will
keep my eyes peeled for one.
I envy you guys and your 200 gallon tanks. For us it is shower in a bag on a
warm day
later
Raj
VE6RAJ
--

"Larry" wrote in message
"Raj" wrote in :

[...]

Raymarine ST1000 Plus Autopilot muelec Electronics 8 February 25th 07 06:46 PM
Help with Teleflex Safe-t qc helm and cable installation [email protected] General 0 August 7th 05 07:59 PM
OB Motor steering question tillius General 3 June 28th 04 12:36 PM
cable steering Gregory McGuire General 1 June 8th 04 12:52 AM
Radar Cable Connectors Steve Electronics 2 February 5th 04 08:13 PM