Default 'Ghost yacht' found off Australia

"Capt. JG" wrote in news:132n6jsms1rbae0
@corp.supernews.com:

old girlfriend

Shareware?....(c;

Psycho. :-}

Kinky!

Larry
--

That too...

Don't let the marina college kids see it....(c;

Larry

On 21-Apr-2007, Peter Hendra wrote:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:10:45 GMT, Don W
wrote:

Redsky wrote:

Emergency services in Australia have launched a search for the three-
man crew of a yacht found drifting off the North Queensland coast.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6574547.stm

- Dennis Jay
Annapolis, MD

I saw that story on Yahoo this morning also.
According to the story, the motor was running, a
laptop was on, and there was dinner set on the
table. The three crew were missing. How odd.
The Aussies have towed in the Cat and recovered
the GPS to look at where it has been.

Trying to think of possible scenarios:

1) Drug rendezvous off the coast went badly, and
crew were kidnapped or killed.
2) MOB and the rest of crew fell in during rescue
attempt?
3) Falling out among the crew. Murder & suicide?

Hmm...

Don W.

I somehow find it difficult to imagine a torrid love triangle between
three middleaged Australian sailors. It would be more likely to be
annoyance over warm beer.

I haven't experienced it myself in that area but know people who have
been suddenly set upon by a dry rain very, localised downdraft that
can cause instant surface winds of up to 200 knots. It is caused by
rain falling the upper atmosphere. It is sudden, often out of a clear
blue sky on a low wind day, and is localised, thus not showing up on
any weather system.

I am sorry but I can't recall the name. It'll come to me at the top of
the damned mast later today when I cannot use a pen.

regards
Peter

Is it a micro burst you are thinking of?

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:38:16 GMT, wrote:

Yes! Thank you

Is it a micro burst you are thinking of?

dt dt is offline

KLC Lewis wrote:

"Peter Hendra" wrote in message

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:37:40 GMT, Charlie Morgan wrote:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 18:30:21 +0000, Larry wrote:

"KLC Lewis" wrote in
news:EKidnee0gtvOnLTbnZ2dnUVZ_revnZ2d@centuryt el.net:

A giant clam jumped up on deck and ate them.

Isn't Australia famous for its Great White Sharks?

Larry

It was, until the giant clams ate them.

CWM

By the way, there is no recorded case of trogodytes or giant clams
closing and imprisoning a diver's foot or air hose as in the movies.
The muscles that close the two halves of the shell are made for
endurance in keeping them closed and thus close very slowly and do not
snap shut.

Therefore, it was more likely to be a passing school of queen scallops
that can snap their shells closed rapidly and use it for propulsion -
jumping along the sand. Ever been hit in the head by a flying fish?
Scallops shells are much harder

Apparently you are unaware of "The Story of Reuben Clamzo and his Strange
Daughter in the Key of 'A'"

So, the three sailors would've been safe, if they'd only had a trusty
clampoon.

DT

"dt" wrote in message
KLC Lewis wrote:

Apparently you are unaware of "The Story of Reuben Clamzo and his Strange
Daughter in the Key of 'A'"

So, the three sailors would've been safe, if they'd only had a trusty
clampoon.

DT

Or had another crewman aboard to sing the fourth harmony part.

Peter Hendra wrote:
I saw that story on Yahoo this morning also.
According to the story, the motor was running, a
laptop was on, and there was dinner set on the
table. The three crew were missing. How odd.
The Aussies have towed in the Cat and recovered
the GPS to look at where it has been.

Trying to think of possible scenarios:

1) Drug rendezvous off the coast went badly, and
crew were kidnapped or killed.
2) MOB and the rest of crew fell in during rescue
attempt?
3) Falling out among the crew. Murder & suicide?

Hmm...

Don W.

I somehow find it difficult to imagine a torrid love triangle between
three middleaged Australian sailors. It would be more likely to be
annoyance over warm beer.
regards
Peter

I'm over in the UK for the week. The papers here
are reporting the new wrinkle that the boats
fenders were deployed on one side of the cat
suggesting that another boat had come alongside.
Now if I were the investigator I'd be looking at
who gets the money if one of these guys disappears.

4) Boat intercepted by someone hired to make it
look like everyone on board was lost at sea.
(Didn't think of that one earlier).

5) Boat intercepted at sea by a kidnapper.

That boat was new, and anyone who can buy a new
45' cruising cat has some AU$'s. The expensive
stuff on board wasn't touched, so robbery wouldn't
have been the motive. ergo...

The sail plan for the boat was known, and they
were day sailing and coming back to the coast at
night to anchor. It would be relatively simple to
work out an intercept out at sea, or follow them
out out of visual range using radar.

How's that mast painting coming Peter?

Regards,

Don W.

On Apr 24, 7:43 pm, Don W
wrote:
Peter Hendra wrote:
[...]

Hadn't thought of the life insurance angle.

Still, there were three fenders on the port side and one on the
starboard side, which sounds more like sloppy seamanship to me. Also,
what I read suggested that the boat was five years old. Still a fair
chunk of change though.

David

Finished thank God Don. All the hardware is back on. I reckon that it
takes four times as long to put it back as it does to take it off.
Sealant, right screws, clean off sealant etc. Added strobe light to a
fitting at the top so that it goes about the combined all round white
and tricolour, new anenometer - Back to Raytheon which was what I had
originally when it got hit by lightning. Replaced it with a cheaper
Navman - bottom unit froze during a winter in Turkey. Was replaced by
Navman for a standard AUD$99 but unit has begun to misfunction a year
later. Everything done and spent two hours hunting for the metre long
4mm aerial that goes in the socket. Eventually bought a new one.

However.... was due to put it up but had a problem with deck paint. In
my rush and general tiredness due to extreme heat and long hours,
proved myself to be stupid. I mixed the epoxy deck paint (had already
done some) 4:1 with the hardner - carefully measured. After a whole
day the paint had not dried. Found that I had mixed from a quart tin
of blue boot top resin with a gallon of deck paint resin. Resin +
resin = one sticky mess to take off - dumber than dumb. I did think at
the time that it was strange that they had coloured the hardner as
well.

Yard foreman kindly got his father to organise two men (what are
called in New Zealand '"Hairies") to scrape it off tomorrow for TT$200
US$32.25 per day each. Mast is booked to be raised tomorrow
afternoon. If the damned thing had been up I would have suspended
myself by the neck from the spreaders and, if I weren't a Moslem, I
would still be drunk today.

Mast and rigging looks good though. My bronze fittings and poured
bronze sockets are gleaming in the sun with the newly poured metal to
hold the 1x19 wire in place.

cheers
Peter

Peter Hendra wrote:
Finished thank God Don. All the hardware is back on.
snip

However.... was due to put it up but had a problem with deck paint. In
my rush and general tiredness due to extreme heat and long hours,
proved myself to be stupid. I mixed the epoxy deck paint (had already
done some) 4:1 with the hardner - carefully measured. After a whole
day the paint had not dried. Found that I had mixed from a quart tin
of blue boot top resin with a gallon of deck paint resin. Resin +
resin = one sticky mess to take off - dumber than dumb. I did think at
the time that it was strange that they had coloured the hardner as
well.

Arghhhh. It is always something isn't it?

Yard foreman kindly got his father to organise two men (what are
called in New Zealand '"Hairies") to scrape it off tomorrow for TT$200
US$32.25 per day each. Mast is booked to be raised tomorrow
afternoon. If the damned thing had been up I would have suspended
myself by the neck from the spreaders and, if I weren't a Moslem, I
would still be drunk today.

Mast and rigging looks good though. My bronze fittings and poured
bronze sockets are gleaming in the sun with the newly poured metal to
hold the 1x19 wire in place.

cheers
Peter

I didn't have consistent internet access in the
UK, but I'm back at home now. Hope your boat is
looking good and back in the water now.

Regards,

Don W.