Default SoCal Sailor Missing

Lew Hodgett wrote:

A 61 year old sailor from Phoenix with 30 years sailing experience is
missing.

The boat, reported to be anything from 25-30 ft, washed up on the rocks
at the mouth of the harbor off Corona Del Mar (Newport Beach), holed and
sunk in 30 ft of water in less than a minute.

Sailor has not been found, but he had a dinghy with him.

Departed from Cabrillo Harbor in San Pedro headed west to Santa Barbara;
however, Corona Del Mar is about 40 miles southwest.

Have been getting extreme weather, including high surf warnings for
almost a week.

Why he left safe harbor to venture out into those conditions is unknown.

It is times like this when I'm reminded of one of Murphy's laws:

DON'T F**K WITH MOTHER NATURE.

Lew

Actually, Newport Beach is 20 miles SE of San Pedro.

--Alan Gomes

Default 'Ghost yacht' found off Australia

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:37:40 GMT, Charlie Morgan wrote:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 18:30:21 +0000, Larry wrote:

"KLC Lewis" wrote in
news:EKidnee0gtvOnLTbnZ2dnUVZ_revnZ2d@centurytel .net:

A giant clam jumped up on deck and ate them.

Isn't Australia famous for its Great White Sharks?

Larry

It was, until the giant clams ate them.

CWM

By the way, there is no recorded case of trogodytes or giant clams
closing and imprisoning a diver's foot or air hose as in the movies.
The muscles that close the two halves of the shell are made for
endurance in keeping them closed and thus close very slowly and do not
snap shut.

Therefore, it was more likely to be a passing school of queen scallops
that can snap their shells closed rapidly and use it for propulsion -
jumping along the sand. Ever been hit in the head by a flying fish?
Scallops shells are much harder

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:10:45 GMT, Don W
wrote:

Redsky wrote:

Emergency services in Australia have launched a search for the three-
man crew of a yacht found drifting off the North Queensland coast.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6574547.stm

- Dennis Jay
Annapolis, MD

I saw that story on Yahoo this morning also.
According to the story, the motor was running, a
laptop was on, and there was dinner set on the
table. The three crew were missing. How odd.
The Aussies have towed in the Cat and recovered
the GPS to look at where it has been.

Trying to think of possible scenarios:

1) Drug rendezvous off the coast went badly, and
crew were kidnapped or killed.
2) MOB and the rest of crew fell in during rescue
attempt?
3) Falling out among the crew. Murder & suicide?

Hmm...

Don W.

I somehow find it difficult to imagine a torrid love triangle between
three middleaged Australian sailors. It would be more likely to be
annoyance over warm beer.

I haven't experienced it myself in that area but know people who have
been suddenly set upon by a dry rain very, localised downdraft that
can cause instant surface winds of up to 200 knots. It is caused by
rain falling the upper atmosphere. It is sudden, often out of a clear
blue sky on a low wind day, and is localised, thus not showing up on
any weather system.

I am sorry but I can't recall the name. It'll come to me at the top of
the damned mast later today when I cannot use a pen.

regards
Peter

"Peter Hendra" wrote in message
[...]

Apparently you are unaware of "The Story of Reuben Clamzo and his Strange
Daughter in the Key of 'A'"

"Peter Hendra" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:37:40 GMT, Charlie Morgan wrote:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 18:30:21 +0000, Larry wrote:

"KLC Lewis" wrote in
news:EKidnee0gtvOnLTbnZ2dnUVZ_revnZ2d@centuryte l.net:

A giant clam jumped up on deck and ate them.

Isn't Australia famous for its Great White Sharks?

Larry

It was, until the giant clams ate them.

CWM

By the way, there is no recorded case of trogodytes or giant clams
closing and imprisoning a diver's foot or air hose as in the movies.
The muscles that close the two halves of the shell are made for
endurance in keeping them closed and thus close very slowly and do not
snap shut.

I don't know about that. It sure sounds like an old girlfriend.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Peter Hendra" wrote in message

I am sorry but I can't recall the name. It'll come to me at the top of
the damned mast later today when I cannot use a pen.

Do be careful. That's where the giant clams hang out.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in news:132kcsn4856jcf6
@corp.supernews.com:

old girlfriend

Shareware?....(c;

Larry

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in news:132kcsn4856jcf6
@corp.supernews.com:

old girlfriend

Shareware?....(c;

Psycho. :-}

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
:

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in news:132kcsn4856jcf6
@corp.supernews.com:

old girlfriend

Shareware?....(c;

Psycho. :-}