Default Suggested Abacos Itinerary

I am making a crossing from West Palm Beach to sail the Abacos in the
next six weeks, and have two weeks for the trip. Need to drop off and
pick up passengers at the airport in Marsh Harbor half way through.
This is my first trip to the area, and I'd be interested in hearing
suggested itineraries and routes from others who've been there
before. My 32 foot sailboat draws 4 ft. 2 inches. My idea is to
check in at West End then anchor that same night at Mangrove, the next
night at Great Sale, then Allen-Pensacola, then Green Turtle, then
Marsh Harbor. After that, I'd be retracing the same route back to
West Palm. Thoughts about this approach or any others? Many thanks.

Say, that sounds line an Endeavour 32. Is it?

(The waterline the painted isn't the one they measured the draft to BTW

--
Roger Long

On Apr 17, 6:39 am, wrote:
I am making a crossing from West Palm Beach to sail the Abacos in the
next six weeks, and have two weeks for the trip. Need to drop off and
pick up passengers at the airport in Marsh Harbor half way through.
This is my first trip to the area, and I'd be interested in hearing
suggested itineraries and routes from others who've been there
before. My 32 foot sailboat draws 4 ft. 2 inches. My idea is to
check in at West End then anchor that same night at Mangrove, the next
night at Great Sale, then Allen-Pensacola, then Green Turtle, then
Marsh Harbor. After that, I'd be retracing the same route back to
West Palm. Thoughts about this approach or any others? Many thanks.

We enjoyed Green Turtle very much. Marsh is kind of the middle. We
took the route around the top and down.
You can see & read about all this at our site

http://www.knottydog.com/kd2005/bahamas.htm

Have fun
Larry

On Apr 17, 10:17 am, Ziggy wrote:
On Apr 17, 6:39 am, wrote:

[...]

Thanks very much. Enjoyed your site.

Mike,

I went down to the Abacos twice this winter and have twice been there
before. We had 4'-8" draft this year, but on one occasion the boat was a 50
footer with 7'3" draft!

On one earlier trip, we crossed from Lauderdale to West End. Did this
overnight arriving early morning. After checking in, we took local bus to
Freeport to buy some parts for outboard and look around. Next day, we
motored sailed to Great Sale, but because of draft, went round Memory Rock.
It was dusk when we got there, but with daylight savings time and the longer
daylight, you may be able to go direct from West End to Great Sale - there
is not much protection at Mangrove.

Otherwise, your itinerary looks OK. But, a few comments.

Manjack, just North of Green Turtle is a nice spot - good swimming on North
side - walk through small conservation area to get to the beach. There are 3
anchoring areas. Just 3 houses on this island.

Green Turtle has two parts - White sound where Green Turtle Club and Bluff
House are located. Nice spots for some R&R. Entrance is just 4'-6" at low
water, so be careful of the tides. Black Sound is where marina is and you
can walk into New Plymouth - a must - also limited draft at entrance. You
can also anchor just off the Main dock of New Plymouth, but this is exposed.

Guana Cay is a must because you have to go to Nippers for lunch! Not that
great, but everyone HAS to go there! You can anchor in Settlement Harbour,
but holding is not too good and most of space is taken by mooring cans - you
should pick one up if you can. There is a very nice marine (Orchid Bay) but
it does cost $2.25/ft. But, on opposite side of the harbour, there is a
white dock where you can tie up for $20.00. It used to be part of the resort
that had a fire (There is a small bar at the beach that overlooks Fishers
Bay. There is a guy in a houseboat who will collect the money. You can also
anchor in Fisher bay, just to the North.

Treasure Cay has a nice marina and an anchorage area. Seems like they are
now charging for anchoring! There is a nice restaurant (Spinnakers) as well
as the Tipsy bar. There are a few stores including a smallish grocery store.

Marsh Harbour is not a place to spend too much time, but is convenient for
airport pickups. You can anchor or pick up a can in the main harbour or use
one of the marinas. Also some nice restaurants like Mangos. To the South,
there is a good marina at Boat Harbour - a bit expensive though, but
sometimes useful if heading South to Little Harbour which is about far as
you will likely go (shallow entrance, watch tides!)

Man-o-war has good anchorages. One in front of town is a bit busy, but we
have been able to anchor there - there is a bit more space in the other
basin to the South. The entrance look narrow, but is easy if you follow the
instructions.

Other must stop, is of course Hopetown on Elbow Cay. Not much chance of
anchoring, so be sure to phone ahead and book a mooring can. We called
Hopetown Harbour Marina (they also have slips), They are on stbd side going
in. Otherwise, try calling Abaco Charters or Lucky Strike on VHF. The
lighthouse is worth a visit - An original kerosenne powered light that still
works! Have a look at the Hopetown Harbour Lodge - it runs from the ocean
right over to the bay. The swimming pool and bar on the ocean side are a
great spot for lunch and there is a snorkelling area just off the beach.
Vernons is small store that is worth a visit for supplies - they make a
great Key Lime Pie - phone ahead and order one. Captain Jacks and Harbours
Edge are good places for a good dinner, but not fine dining!

Have a great Cruise!

oups.com...

On Apr 17, 12:37 pm, "Anon" wrote:
[...]

wrote in message

oups.com...

I am making a crossing from West Palm Beach to sail the Abacos in the
next six weeks, and have two weeks for the trip. Need to drop off and
pick up passengers at the airport in Marsh Harbor half way through.
This is my first trip to the area, and I'd be interested in hearing
suggested itineraries and routes from others who've been there
before. My 32 foot sailboat draws 4 ft. 2 inches. My idea is to
check in at West End then anchor that same night at Mangrove, the next
night at Great Sale, then Allen-Pensacola, then Green Turtle, then
Marsh Harbor. After that, I'd be retracing the same route back to
West Palm. Thoughts about this approach or any others? Many thanks.- Hide quoted text -

That's enormously helpful. Thank you so very much!

On 17 Apr 2007 14:33:29 -0700, wrote:

That's enormously helpful. Thank you so very much!

All of anon's advice jibes very closely with my own experience.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the possibility of checking
in someplace a little less busy than West End.

As long as you don't fish or go ashore, it is permissable to anchor
for the night without checking in. Just fly the Q flag and keep going
the next day. Spanish Key makes for a nice quiet and uncrowded place
to clear customs, and you can continue south from there.

Our favorites we

Green Turtle - anchor either Black Sound or White Sound; rent a golf
cart and tour the island; visit New Providence and Sarah Pineapple's
Pub; visit the Green Turtle club; tour the beaches on the north east
side.

Great Guana Key - primary attractions are the great beaches;
snorkeling behind the reef on the east side; and of course, the famous
Nippers Pub. Don't miss the pig roast on Sunday afternoons.

Treasure Key Cove and Marina - We didn't go by boat but everyone raves
about it. Go out to the end of the point and go wading on the sand
flats that stretch out for miles.

Marsh Harbour - Great place to resupply - lots of stores and
restaurants. Carry your VHF handheld ashore, everyone uses them to
call taxis and ask advice. Don't miss the cruisers net on VHF 68 at
8:00AM - great source of advice and information.

Hope Town Harbor - Great place, very scenic, climb the lighthouse,
rent a golf cart and drive down to the south end - spectacularly
scenic on a windy day.

Little Harbor - nice snug little cove way out in the boondocks - great
scenery - interesting history - visit the famous Pete's Pub and art
gallery, you will not be disappointed.

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 12:37:55 -0400, "Anon"
wrote:

[...]

Ditto on all the above. You might want to continue on past the elbow
and snorkel the reefs across from Lynard Cay, I believe. Can't
anchor, but they have moorings close by.

Going further in that direction you come to Little Harbour (I believe,
it's been a while) A neat bronze foundry doing sculpture and a grass
shack bar made from whatever washed up on the beach. You might not be
able to get in, might have to anchor out (not the best anchorage) and
dink in.

wrote in message
roups.com...
I am making a crossing from West Palm Beach to sail the Abacos in the
next six weeks, and have two weeks for the trip. Need to drop off and
pick up passengers at the airport in Marsh Harbor half way through.
This is my first trip to the area, and I'd be interested in hearing
suggested itineraries and routes from others who've been there
before. My 32 foot sailboat draws 4 ft. 2 inches. My idea is to
check in at West End then anchor that same night at Mangrove, the next
night at Great Sale, then Allen-Pensacola, then Green Turtle, then
Marsh Harbor. After that, I'd be retracing the same route back to
West Palm. Thoughts about this approach or any others? Many thanks.

Hi,

This site could be a useful tool http://www.swingmoorings.com
It is lite on the listings so get in there and put your mooring site
details if your in the business of renting or selling
moorings or your own mooring is free for others to use. The site is
based on google maps so its very easy to use.

ch