Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
Default Suggested Abacos Itinerary

I am making a crossing from West Palm Beach to sail the Abacos in the
next six weeks, and have two weeks for the trip. Need to drop off and
pick up passengers at the airport in Marsh Harbor half way through.
This is my first trip to the area, and I'd be interested in hearing
suggested itineraries and routes from others who've been there
before. My 32 foot sailboat draws 4 ft. 2 inches. My idea is to
check in at West End then anchor that same night at Mangrove, the next
night at Great Sale, then Allen-Pensacola, then Green Turtle, then
Marsh Harbor. After that, I'd be retracing the same route back to
West Palm. Thoughts about this approach or any others? Many thanks.

  #2   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 405
Default Suggested Abacos Itinerary

Say, that sounds line an Endeavour 32. Is it?

(The waterline the painted isn't the one they measured the draft to BTW

--
Roger Long
  #3   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Apr 2007
Posts: 3
Default Suggested Abacos Itinerary

On Apr 17, 6:39 am, wrote:
I am making a crossing from West Palm Beach to sail the Abacos in the
next six weeks, and have two weeks for the trip. Need to drop off and
pick up passengers at the airport in Marsh Harbor half way through.
This is my first trip to the area, and I'd be interested in hearing
suggested itineraries and routes from others who've been there
before. My 32 foot sailboat draws 4 ft. 2 inches. My idea is to
check in at West End then anchor that same night at Mangrove, the next
night at Great Sale, then Allen-Pensacola, then Green Turtle, then
Marsh Harbor. After that, I'd be retracing the same route back to
West Palm. Thoughts about this approach or any others? Many thanks.


We enjoyed Green Turtle very much. Marsh is kind of the middle. We
took the route around the top and down.
You can see & read about all this at our site

http://www.knottydog.com/kd2005/bahamas.htm

Have fun
Larry

  #4   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
Default Suggested Abacos Itinerary

On Apr 17, 10:17 am, Ziggy wrote:
On Apr 17, 6:39 am, wrote:

I am making a crossing from West Palm Beach to sail the Abacos in the
next six weeks, and have two weeks for the trip. Need to drop off and
pick up passengers at the airport in Marsh Harbor half way through.
This is my first trip to the area, and I'd be interested in hearing
suggested itineraries and routes from others who've been there
before. My 32 foot sailboat draws 4 ft. 2 inches. My idea is to
check in at West End then anchor that same night at Mangrove, the next
night at Great Sale, then Allen-Pensacola, then Green Turtle, then
Marsh Harbor. After that, I'd be retracing the same route back to
West Palm. Thoughts about this approach or any others? Many thanks.


We enjoyed Green Turtle very much. Marsh is kind of the middle. We
took the route around the top and down.
You can see & read about all this at our site

http://www.knottydog.com/kd2005/bahamas.htm

Have fun
Larry


Thanks very much. Enjoyed your site.

  #6   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
Default Suggested Abacos Itinerary

Mike,

I went down to the Abacos twice this winter and have twice been there
before. We had 4'-8" draft this year, but on one occasion the boat was a 50
footer with 7'3" draft!

On one earlier trip, we crossed from Lauderdale to West End. Did this
overnight arriving early morning. After checking in, we took local bus to
Freeport to buy some parts for outboard and look around. Next day, we
motored sailed to Great Sale, but because of draft, went round Memory Rock.
It was dusk when we got there, but with daylight savings time and the longer
daylight, you may be able to go direct from West End to Great Sale - there
is not much protection at Mangrove.

Otherwise, your itinerary looks OK. But, a few comments.

Manjack, just North of Green Turtle is a nice spot - good swimming on North
side - walk through small conservation area to get to the beach. There are 3
anchoring areas. Just 3 houses on this island.

Green Turtle has two parts - White sound where Green Turtle Club and Bluff
House are located. Nice spots for some R&R. Entrance is just 4'-6" at low
water, so be careful of the tides. Black Sound is where marina is and you
can walk into New Plymouth - a must - also limited draft at entrance. You
can also anchor just off the Main dock of New Plymouth, but this is exposed.

Guana Cay is a must because you have to go to Nippers for lunch! Not that
great, but everyone HAS to go there! You can anchor in Settlement Harbour,
but holding is not too good and most of space is taken by mooring cans - you
should pick one up if you can. There is a very nice marine (Orchid Bay) but
it does cost $2.25/ft. But, on opposite side of the harbour, there is a
white dock where you can tie up for $20.00. It used to be part of the resort
that had a fire (There is a small bar at the beach that overlooks Fishers
Bay. There is a guy in a houseboat who will collect the money. You can also
anchor in Fisher bay, just to the North.

Treasure Cay has a nice marina and an anchorage area. Seems like they are
now charging for anchoring! There is a nice restaurant (Spinnakers) as well
as the Tipsy bar. There are a few stores including a smallish grocery store.

Marsh Harbour is not a place to spend too much time, but is convenient for
airport pickups. You can anchor or pick up a can in the main harbour or use
one of the marinas. Also some nice restaurants like Mangos. To the South,
there is a good marina at Boat Harbour - a bit expensive though, but
sometimes useful if heading South to Little Harbour which is about far as
you will likely go (shallow entrance, watch tides!)

Man-o-war has good anchorages. One in front of town is a bit busy, but we
have been able to anchor there - there is a bit more space in the other
basin to the South. The entrance look narrow, but is easy if you follow the
instructions.

Other must stop, is of course Hopetown on Elbow Cay. Not much chance of
anchoring, so be sure to phone ahead and book a mooring can. We called
Hopetown Harbour Marina (they also have slips), They are on stbd side going
in. Otherwise, try calling Abaco Charters or Lucky Strike on VHF. The
lighthouse is worth a visit - An original kerosenne powered light that still
works! Have a look at the Hopetown Harbour Lodge - it runs from the ocean
right over to the bay. The swimming pool and bar on the ocean side are a
great spot for lunch and there is a snorkelling area just off the beach.
Vernons is small store that is worth a visit for supplies - they make a
great Key Lime Pie - phone ahead and order one. Captain Jacks and Harbours
Edge are good places for a good dinner, but not fine dining!

Have a great Cruise!


wrote in message
oups.com...
I am making a crossing from West Palm Beach to sail the Abacos in the
next six weeks, and have two weeks for the trip. Need to drop off and
pick up passengers at the airport in Marsh Harbor half way through.
This is my first trip to the area, and I'd be interested in hearing
suggested itineraries and routes from others who've been there
before. My 32 foot sailboat draws 4 ft. 2 inches. My idea is to
check in at West End then anchor that same night at Mangrove, the next
night at Great Sale, then Allen-Pensacola, then Green Turtle, then
Marsh Harbor. After that, I'd be retracing the same route back to
West Palm. Thoughts about this approach or any others? Many thanks.



  #7   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
Default Suggested Abacos Itinerary

On Apr 17, 12:37 pm, "Anon" wrote:
Mike,

I went down to the Abacos twice this winter and have twice been there
before. We had 4'-8" draft this year, but on one occasion the boat was a 50
footer with 7'3" draft!

On one earlier trip, we crossed from Lauderdale to West End. Did this
overnight arriving early morning. After checking in, we took local bus to
Freeport to buy some parts for outboard and look around. Next day, we
motored sailed to Great Sale, but because of draft, went round Memory Rock.
It was dusk when we got there, but with daylight savings time and the longer
daylight, you may be able to go direct from West End to Great Sale - there
is not much protection at Mangrove.

Otherwise, your itinerary looks OK. But, a few comments.

Manjack, just North of Green Turtle is a nice spot - good swimming on North
side - walk through small conservation area to get to the beach. There are 3
anchoring areas. Just 3 houses on this island.

Green Turtle has two parts - White sound where Green Turtle Club and Bluff
House are located. Nice spots for some R&R. Entrance is just 4'-6" at low
water, so be careful of the tides. Black Sound is where marina is and you
can walk into New Plymouth - a must - also limited draft at entrance. You
can also anchor just off the Main dock of New Plymouth, but this is exposed.

Guana Cay is a must because you have to go to Nippers for lunch! Not that
great, but everyone HAS to go there! You can anchor in Settlement Harbour,
but holding is not too good and most of space is taken by mooring cans - you
should pick one up if you can. There is a very nice marine (Orchid Bay) but
it does cost $2.25/ft. But, on opposite side of the harbour, there is a
white dock where you can tie up for $20.00. It used to be part of the resort
that had a fire (There is a small bar at the beach that overlooks Fishers
Bay. There is a guy in a houseboat who will collect the money. You can also
anchor in Fisher bay, just to the North.

Treasure Cay has a nice marina and an anchorage area. Seems like they are
now charging for anchoring! There is a nice restaurant (Spinnakers) as well
as the Tipsy bar. There are a few stores including a smallish grocery store.

Marsh Harbour is not a place to spend too much time, but is convenient for
airport pickups. You can anchor or pick up a can in the main harbour or use
one of the marinas. Also some nice restaurants like Mangos. To the South,
there is a good marina at Boat Harbour - a bit expensive though, but
sometimes useful if heading South to Little Harbour which is about far as
you will likely go (shallow entrance, watch tides!)

Man-o-war has good anchorages. One in front of town is a bit busy, but we
have been able to anchor there - there is a bit more space in the other
basin to the South. The entrance look narrow, but is easy if you follow the
instructions.

Other must stop, is of course Hopetown on Elbow Cay. Not much chance of
anchoring, so be sure to phone ahead and book a mooring can. We called
Hopetown Harbour Marina (they also have slips), They are on stbd side going
in. Otherwise, try calling Abaco Charters or Lucky Strike on VHF. The
lighthouse is worth a visit - An original kerosenne powered light that still
works! Have a look at the Hopetown Harbour Lodge - it runs from the ocean
right over to the bay. The swimming pool and bar on the ocean side are a
great spot for lunch and there is a snorkelling area just off the beach.
Vernons is small store that is worth a visit for supplies - they make a
great Key Lime Pie - phone ahead and order one. Captain Jacks and Harbours
Edge are good places for a good dinner, but not fine dining!

Have a great Cruise!

wrote in message

oups.com...



I am making a crossing from West Palm Beach to sail the Abacos in the
next six weeks, and have two weeks for the trip. Need to drop off and
pick up passengers at the airport in Marsh Harbor half way through.
This is my first trip to the area, and I'd be interested in hearing
suggested itineraries and routes from others who've been there
before. My 32 foot sailboat draws 4 ft. 2 inches. My idea is to
check in at West End then anchor that same night at Mangrove, the next
night at Great Sale, then Allen-Pensacola, then Green Turtle, then
Marsh Harbor. After that, I'd be retracing the same route back to
West Palm. Thoughts about this approach or any others? Many thanks.- Hide quoted text -


- Show quoted text -


That's enormously helpful. Thank you so very much!

  #8   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,492
Default Suggested Abacos Itinerary

On 17 Apr 2007 14:33:29 -0700, wrote:

That's enormously helpful. Thank you so very much!


All of anon's advice jibes very closely with my own experience.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the possibility of checking
in someplace a little less busy than West End.

As long as you don't fish or go ashore, it is permissable to anchor
for the night without checking in. Just fly the Q flag and keep going
the next day. Spanish Key makes for a nice quiet and uncrowded place
to clear customs, and you can continue south from there.

Our favorites we

Green Turtle - anchor either Black Sound or White Sound; rent a golf
cart and tour the island; visit New Providence and Sarah Pineapple's
Pub; visit the Green Turtle club; tour the beaches on the north east
side.

Great Guana Key - primary attractions are the great beaches;
snorkeling behind the reef on the east side; and of course, the famous
Nippers Pub. Don't miss the pig roast on Sunday afternoons.

Treasure Key Cove and Marina - We didn't go by boat but everyone raves
about it. Go out to the end of the point and go wading on the sand
flats that stretch out for miles.

Marsh Harbour - Great place to resupply - lots of stores and
restaurants. Carry your VHF handheld ashore, everyone uses them to
call taxis and ask advice. Don't miss the cruisers net on VHF 68 at
8:00AM - great source of advice and information.

Hope Town Harbor - Great place, very scenic, climb the lighthouse,
rent a golf cart and drive down to the south end - spectacularly
scenic on a windy day.

Little Harbor - nice snug little cove way out in the boondocks - great
scenery - interesting history - visit the famous Pete's Pub and art
gallery, you will not be disappointed.

  #9   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 12
Default Suggested Abacos Itinerary

Mike,
Here's another routing if you want to save some time *and* if the weather is
suitable. Leave West Palm in late afternoon-early evening and arrive on the
Little Bahama Bank just after daybreak and just keep on going to arrive at
Great Sale by late afternoon for a total run of a bit under 24 hours more or
less depending on conditions.

Given the need to fight the Gulf Stream on that particular crossing, there
is a lot to be said for laying a more northerly course, more towards Memory
Rock than West End.

Spend the night at Great Sale, get a reasonably early start and you can
easily make Green Turtle that afternoon without having to push too hard.
Pick up one of the inexpensive moorings in Black Sound off "The Other
Shore Club", dinghy in, walk into town and clear customs there. Nice
friendly relaxed place and Marsh Harbor is easily reached by taking the
ferry across to Treasure Island and taxi or rental car from there to Marsh
Harbour. With your draft you should have no problems along that route if
you have up to date charts. We made that run a couple of years ago, cleared
the W. Palm Beach inlet around 6pm and got to Great Sale around 5 pm next
day and Black Sound the next afternoon.
Scott
SV Itchen


wrote in message
oups.com...
I am making a crossing from West Palm Beach to sail the Abacos in the
next six weeks, and have two weeks for the trip. Need to drop off and
pick up passengers at the airport in Marsh Harbor half way through.
This is my first trip to the area, and I'd be interested in hearing
suggested itineraries and routes from others who've been there
before. My 32 foot sailboat draws 4 ft. 2 inches. My idea is to
check in at West End then anchor that same night at Mangrove, the next
night at Great Sale, then Allen-Pensacola, then Green Turtle, then
Marsh Harbor. After that, I'd be retracing the same route back to
West Palm. Thoughts about this approach or any others? Many thanks.



  #10   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.cruising
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
Default Suggested Abacos Itinerary

On Apr 17, 9:53 pm, "Scott" ASDF wrote:
Mike,
Here's another routing if you want to save some time *and* if the weather is
suitable. Leave West Palm in late afternoon-early evening and arrive on the
Little Bahama Bank just after daybreak and just keep on going to arrive at
Great Sale by late afternoon for a total run of a bit under 24 hours more or
less depending on conditions.

Given the need to fight the Gulf Stream on that particular crossing, there
is a lot to be said for laying a more northerly course, more towards Memory
Rock than West End.

Spend the night at Great Sale, get a reasonably early start and you can
easily make Green Turtle that afternoon without having to push too hard.
Pick up one of the inexpensive moorings in Black Sound off "The Other
Shore Club", dinghy in, walk into town and clear customs there. Nice
friendly relaxed place and Marsh Harbor is easily reached by taking the
ferry across to Treasure Island and taxi or rental car from there to Marsh
Harbour. With your draft you should have no problems along that route if
you have up to date charts. We made that run a couple of years ago, cleared
the W. Palm Beach inlet around 6pm and got to Great Sale around 5 pm next
day and Black Sound the next afternoon.
Scott
SV Itchen

- Show quoted text -

Scott,

Although I may have misunderstood your post, what port of entry are
you suggesting he use instead of West End?

Thanks and take care . . .

John

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yosemite rafting itinerary works perfectly into a trip to San Francisco [email protected] Boat Building 0 July 25th 06 04:26 AM
San Juan Island Itinerary Suggestions Gary G Cruising 31 September 30th 05 01:02 AM
sailing & diving: Abacos or St Martin? Brien Alkire Cruising 8 July 1st 05 07:35 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 BoatBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Boats"

 

Copyright © 2017