Brien Alkire

Default sailing & diving: Abacos or St Martin?

My wife and I are trying to plan a combination sailing & diving trip. We
had a fantastic trip to BVI last year, and we plan to do Tahiti in a few
years. We've narrowed our choice this year to either Abacos in the Bahamas,
or St Martin.

St Martin looks like the more interesting sailing location to me. The
cruising grounds are much larger than what's available in Abacos. We can
sail St Martin, St Nevis, St Barts, Antigua and Guadelope.

The diving looks more promising in Bahamas. However, the charter companies
severely limit the cruising grounds to just a small radius.

How is the sailing in St Martin and the surrounding areas as compared to
Bahamas?

Any thoughts on these choices as they relate to quality of diving and
quality of sailing?

I've learned that there really are a limited number of places where you can
combine great diving with great sailing. I'm beginning to really appreciate
my home waters, though they are chilly (So Cal Channel Islands).

Thanks,

Brien

Capt. JG

"Brien Alkire" wrote in message
news
[...]

Have you considered Belize? I know that's not an answer to your question...
beautiful place... inexpensive, easy to get to, etc.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Brien Alkire

Have you considered Belize? I know that's not an answer to your
question...
beautiful place... inexpensive, easy to get to, etc.

Yes, we researched it a little. It certainly has a reputation as a premier
dive spot.

But how are the sailing grounds? I know it's very shallow and catamarans
are preferred (as is the case in Abacos). I didn't get the impression it
was very popular for sailing but I have no first-hand knowledge and may not
have searched in the right places for info.

Thanks.

Brien Alkire

Oh great, I just read the thread below about the grounding in Belize and the
ransacking! Certainly doesn't entice me to sail there. What was the line
from the thread? Something like "don't stop in Belize unless you're looking
for crack."

Capt. JG

"Brien Alkire" wrote in message
Oh great, I just read the thread below about the grounding in Belize and
the
ransacking! Certainly doesn't entice me to sail there. What was the line
from the thread? Something like "don't stop in Belize unless you're
looking
for crack."

Not sure which thread you're speaking of. It's a great place to sail, but
you're right cats are preferred. We never had any problems and never ran
across anyone who did. Everyone we met was very friendly. The only negative
experience at all was when we stopped in Belize City, which is a pit.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Brien Alkire

Thanks. I'm sure you're right. In fact, my cousin has been there for
diving many times and loves it.

The thread I was referring to is titled "Boater Tragedy in Belieze" (sic),
dated June 27. There's a link to a story about a cruiser that recently ran
aground there. His yacht was ransacked when he went for help.

Glenn Ashmore

Major difference between the two areas. St. Martin, St. Kitts, Barbuda and
that area are more for people who want to do some serious sailing. St.
Martin to anywhere but Anguilla is a good 9-10 hours of blue water. I am
not very impressed by the snorkeling on St. Martin but to shore side
resturants are not to be missed. Anguilla has some good snorkeling but the
island is flat scrub with some big resorts. Saba is interesting to explore
but no good snorkeling and poor anchorage. Some pretty fair snorkeling
south of St. Kitts and lots of good spots around Antigua. .

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

[...]

Brien Alkire

Hey Glenn,

Thanks! You gave us some great advice before our trip to BVI and we had a
wonderful time.

-Brien