Default gain/loss 'documentation' by USCG ?

On 8 Apr 2007 12:46:03 -0500, Dave wrote:

I suppose one issue is personal privacy. It's very easy to get information
on documented vessels via the internet. Harder for State registered vessels.

You can still maintain a fair amount of privacy if you want. Some
boats are owned by corporations, with an obscure law firm in Delaware
as the legal address.

"Courtney Thomas" wrote:

I am told that the U.S. can commandeer your boat at will if USCG documented.

Would this be true if she was out of U.S. waters ?

The Coast Guard is in lots of places that are not US waters. So Yes I
think it could happen.

Would this ever be true if not USCG documented or if of foreign registry ?

The CG can and will board and inspect boats that are of foreign
registry outside of US waters, and also I think will do the same with
state registered boats.

I should add that fear of U.S. gov. seizure is not a significant motive
here, just an example of a potential disadvantage of USCG documentation, and
a weighing of pros & cons of USCG documentation is the sole consideration.
Another disadvantage, in certain waters, might be... flying the U.S. flag,
at all. On the other hand, registering as a foreign vessel would require
importation & licensing fees, which
is a not inconsiderable cost and would be a good reason to maintain USCG
documentation.

I guess under the 'right' circumstances any government can legally do the
same, but in that I'm considering hailing from a non-U.S. port, and maybe
registering it as a non-U.S. vessel, I was wondering what information should
be factored into such a decision.

The bottom line: if said boat is operating out of the U.S., or hails from a
port other than U.S., what [dis]advantages are there in having USCG
documentation ? Or is hailing from a U.S. port required for USCG
documentation ?

You can have any post office in the US as a hailing port regardless of
whether you or your boat could be or have been there or not. There
are so many places that are named for other places that it probably
wouldn't be a problem to find a place name in the US to put on your
boat. Just down the road from us is Scotland, and California and
across the Chesapeake is Berlin. But IIRC you can't be US documented
unless the owner of the boat is a US citizen

Sorry for not being initially more clear,

Courtney

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 17:44:09 -0400, "Courtney Thomas"
wrote:

What is gained or lost by discontinuing USCG documentation of a private
sailboat ?

Since there is no cost or effort to staying documented, why would you
want to drop it?

As long as the boat is not financed there is very little to lose
except that you will be required to post state registration numbers in
the US. If the boat is financed, you probably have a contractual
obligation to remain documented (and insured).

"KLC Lewis" wrote in
:

Any government at any time for any reason can "sieze" your vessel, and
there won't be much you can do about it at the time of siezure. You
can, of course, then launch a legal battle to have your rightful
property returned to you, but governments, being evil by nature, don't
much care whether or not your rights are being violated. And it won't
matter whether your boat is federally documented or state registered.

There IS a reason why the superrich always flag their big yachts in small
fiefdoms where local officials can easily be bribed into anything with a
few dollars, that means nothing to the superrich.....

I've never seen them flag their big motoryachts in the US or Canada at the
docks, here. Little islands or little countries....

Larry

--

Ah, but then these "superrich" also have armies of lawyers at their beck and
call, ne?

On Apr 7, 5:44 pm, "Courtney Thomas"
wrote:
What is gained or lost by discontinuing USCG documentation of a private
sailboat ?

Thanks,
Courtney

In the French Caribbean Islands you will be fine if you do not have US
Documentation. State registration is not recognized.

wrote:
What is gained or lost by discontinuing USCG documentation of a private
sailboat ?

Thanks,
Courtney

Right or wrong, I documented my boat this winter because I was told an
undocumented boat can't go to Canada, part of my summer plans. In
Maine, I will still be liable for the annual excise tax, but will save
the annual registration ($15). So, in my instance, documentation was
simply a matter of ease of passage.

Steve Hayes
Maine

"KLC Lewis" wrote in
:

Ah, but then these "superrich" also have armies of lawyers at their
beck and call, ne?

And the very reason you never see USCG or local law enforcement stop them
as they enter the harbor to inspect them.

If Bin Laden wants to blow up any US port, it's easy. Just pack a 100'
Azimut with dirty bomb and help himself. We won't stop him for fear of his
money and lawyers.

Larry

Smackdown...Bob has no boat Capt. Rob ASA 9 July 30th 06 04:46 AM
USCG reply to Personal Handheld VHF Query Bryan General 2 December 15th 05 12:42 PM
HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
New USCG policy on Advance Notice of Arrival Dave Cruising 8 May 31st 04 04:37 AM
Logbooks and miles recorded Garry Beattie General 6 November 18th 03 09:46 PM