Dave

Default New USCG policy on Advance Notice of Arrival

Found this on the Cruising World bbs. Has anyone experience with how
the USCG in S Florida will be actually handling this?

Dave

--------------

Subject: New USCG policy on Advance Notice of Arrival

USCG To Enforce Advance Notice of Arrival Regulations

ANOA Bulletin

NOA Brochure

NOA Form

Effective immediately, the USCG will be enforcing regulations
requiring all vessels entering U.S. waters from a foreign port give a
96-Hour Advance Notice of Arrival. Although this regulation is not new
the USCG has recently begun enforcing this law in conjunction with the
increased security requirements established by the Homeland Security
Regulations.

Who Is Affected? Any recreational or commercial vessel entering a U.S.
port from a foreign destination.

How to I file my Advance Notice of Arrival (ANOA)?

The USCG advises that there will be no exceptions regardless of the
size of the vessel. If you are operating a vessel under 300 GT, you
must file an ANOA with the appropriate Captain of the Port (COTP). The
Miami COTP area encompasses from Malabar to Cape Romano, Florida
including the Florida Keys. Their contact information is as follows:
(Ph.) (305) 535-8701 (Fax) (305) 535-8761. After downloading and
completing the ANOA form, it must be faxed to the COTP. If you are
operating a vessel 300 GT or greater, you must file an ANOA with the
National Vessel Movement Center (NVMC) 96 hours prior to arriving at a
U.S. port. This ANOA can be either completed online or via an
electronic form that can be emailed to the NVMC at .
To complete an online ANOA or to download the ANOA form, visit
http://www.nvmc.uscg.gov/. Instructions for utilizing the online
service are included in the attached ANOA brochure. The NVMC can also
be contacted at (800) 708-9823.

What about spontaneous or short day trips to the Bahamas?

The USCG understands that due to Miami's close proximity to the
Bahamas, recreational boaters frequently visit foreign ports
spontaneously or for short durations of time. The intent of this
regulation is to enhance the security of our ports by monitoring who
is entering U.S. territorial waters. For boaters who are departing
from a foreign port with a cruise duration of less than 96 hours but
greater than 24 hours, the appropriate U.S. authorities must be
notified prior to leaving the foreign port. If the duration of the
cruise is less than 24 hours, the appropriate U.S. authorities must be
notified 24 hours in advance of arrival at the first U.S. port. It is
also recommended that recreational boaters emphasize in their ANOA
that they will be following the reported trip itinerary, weather
permitting. In the event that weather conditions prevent boaters from
adhering to their proposed schedule, they should notify the
appropriate authority within the time limits specified above.

What do I do if my estimated time of arrival changes? All boaters must
notify the appropriate authority of any modifications to your
itinerary within the time limits specified in the previous section.
Changes to your estimated time of arrival that are less than 6 hours
do not need to be reported. If you filed your ANOA online with the
NVMC, you must email your itinerary changes. If you filed your ANOA
with the COTP, you must either call the COTP to notify them of your
changes or fax a revised ANOA.

What happens if I do not file an ANOA with the appropriate authority?

The vessel is required to remain outside U.S. waters until the
required information is provided and processed addressing appropriate
notification and any security issues that would prevent the vessel
from entering the port. This may include USCG officers boarding and
searching your vessel. First time offenders may be issued a Letter of
Warning. Those vessels found to be in violation of the ANOA procedures
a second time will be subject to civil penalty action seeking the
maximum allowable penalty. Continual offenders (three or more
failures) will be required to remain outside U.S. territorial waters
for the appropriate 24 or 96 hour time period depending on the last
port of call.
Den73740

Does this apply to Hatian boats that pull up on the beach in broad daylight and
discharge their passengers or just vessels entering ports.

Just another layer of bureaucracy that accomplishes nothing.

Dennis
S/V Tranquility

I'm not getting too excited over this post....
snipWho Is Affected? Any recreational or commercial vessel entering a U.S.
port from a foreign destination.
Interesting statement...please provide by what authority?
Unless you can show me otherwise, 33CFR160.202(b) which was enacted 07/03
excludes recreational vessels. Your article doesn't quote much in the way
of legislative authority.

FWIW,
Brian

Glenn Ashmore

That notice was not accurate. The claim is that it was poorly worded
but it looks pretty specifically worded to me. In reality Homeland
Security probably backed down after the entire south Florida boating
community (some of whom vote) raised holly hell. US flagged
recreational vessels ARE exempt. See:
http://www.fort-lauderdale-marine-di...cgadvisory.php

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Here's the update to the CG advisory that mentions the recreational
boats exemption, as it was received by
fort-lauderdale-marine-directory.com on May 26, 2004:

Envirocare and MIASF received final confirmation this morning from
Captain of the Port Jim Watson that ALL US flagged recreational
vessels are exempt from the Notice of Arrival requirements.

USCG To Enforce Advance Notice of Arrival Regulations

Conversations with the USCG subsequent to the May 21, 2004 bulletin
have revealed additional information regarding the 96-Hour Advance
Notice of Arrival (ANOA) regulation. The regulation, adopted in
February 28, 2003, includes a correction made by the USCG. The
correction was included in the Federal Register on November 10, 2003
and amended the regulation to clarify exempt vessels.

We are pleased to announce that U.S. recreational vessels are exempt
from the ANOA requirements.

Who Is Required to File An ANOA?

U.S. Flagged Commercial Vessels
Foreign Flagged Recreational and Commercial Vessels

How to I file my Advance Notice of Arrival (ANOA)?

If you are operating a foreign commercial or recreational vessel or
U.S. commercial vessel 300 GT or less, you must file an ANOA with the
appropriate Captain of the Port (COTP). The Miami COTP area
encompasses from Malabar to Cape Romano, Florida including the Florida
Keys. Their contact information is as follows: (Ph.) (305) 535-8701
(Fax) (305) 535-8761. After downloading and completing the ANOA form,
it must be faxed to the COTP.

If you are operating a foreign commercial or recreational vessel or
U.S. commercial vessel greater than 300 GT, you must file an ANOA with
the National Vessel Movement Center (NVMC) 96 hours prior to arriving
at a U.S. port. This ANOA can be either completed online or via an
electronic form that can be emailed to the NVMC at .
To complete an online ANOA or to download the ANOA form, visit
http://www.nvmc.uscg.gov/. Instructions for utilizing the online
service are included in the attached ANOA brochure. The NVMC can also
be contacted at (800) 708-9823.

What do I do if I file an ANOA and my estimated time of arrival
changes?

If your cruise duration is 96 hours or greater, the appropriate
authorities must be notified as soon as practicable but at least 24
hours before entering the port.
If your cruise duration is less than 96 hours and greater than 24
hours, the appropriate authorities must be notified as soon as
practicable but at least 24 hours before entering the port.
If your cruise duration is less than 24 hours, the appropriate
authorities must be notified as soon as practicable but at least 12
hours before entering the port.

If you filed your ANOA online with the NVMC, you must email your
itinerary changes. If you filed your ANOA with the COTP, you must
either call the COTP to notify them of your changes or fax a revised
ANOA.

This notification was brought to you by the MIASF and EnviroCare Inc,
working with the USCG to disseminate information to all boaters.

S/V Tranquility wrote:
I'm not getting too excited over this post....
snipWho Is Affected? Any recreational or commercial vessel entering a U.S.
port from a foreign destination.
Interesting statement...please provide by what authority?
Unless you can show me otherwise, 33CFR160.202(b) which was enacted 07/03
excludes recreational vessels. Your article doesn't quote much in the way
of legislative authority.

FWIW,
Brian

Florida Keyz

The whold situation is stupid! On a recent weekend trip to bimin and back to
Key Largo, we had to first get our permit, then when we returned from Bimini we
called in to customs(as usual) but now the captain and everyone on board had 24
hours to report to immigration. We were all born and raised us citizens.

what a waste.
Florida Keyz

well thats good news..