Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Yamaha Enduro 2 Stroke Stator Problem

I am cruising in the Caribbean and just happened to be in a location
with Internet access. I only expect to have Internet until Saturday
noon, so if anyone can provide help in this period, I would be very
appreciative.

I have a 15 HP Yamaha Enduro 2 stroke outboard which is about 5 years
old. It's always run like a champ. Today when I went to start it, it
wouldn't even begin to start. I'm not well versed in the terminology
of outboards, so please bear with me. I am a good trouble shooter.

There's plenty of fuel available at the carburetor.

I don't see any spark at the plugs.

The cut-off switch appears to be working fine. It's open when the
"key" in installed and closed when pulled.

I believe that the power source for the plugs is called a stator and a
rotator. There are 2 wires coming from the stator assembly, but I
don't see any voltage coming from them. I've tried jumping them to
ground and I see no spark. The sealed unit that they lead to is
labeled "63 V", so I'm assuming that the input is 63V and that I
should be able to see a spark from it. I also assume that it bumps
the voltage to a much higher level for the plugs. I've checked the
output of the sealed unit (which leads to the plugs and see no spark.

There's a magnetic switch located next to the fly wheel which closes
briefly on every 1/2 rotation of the flywheel. This appears to
control the timing of the spark and seems to be working fine.

I was leery of taking the flywheel off to expose the stator/rotator as
I don't know how it's assembled and/or what parts might drop off and
how it needs to be aligned. I'm assuming that this is where the
problem is. Any suggestions as to how to proceed and what I need to
be aware of would be greatly appreciated.

-- Geoff

older yamaha 9.9 4 stroke? Shaun Van Poecke Cruising 7 January 14th 07 05:25 PM
Yamaha 50 four stroke vs 60 two stroke Jack Redington General 4 January 27th 06 01:56 AM
propeller noise? yamaha 100 4 stroke [email protected] General 2 May 31st 05 10:23 PM
Mercury 1, Yamaha 0 Gould 0738 General 8 October 21st 04 03:35 AM
Yamaha 4 stroke 9.9 Terry McMahon Cruising 1 August 9th 03 02:13 AM