posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default Standards

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 16:37:38 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:41:57 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Wilbur,
You are making the mistake od assuming that people carry their
diligence or lack of in their profession to all aspects of their
lives. As a general truth, they don't. Life and individual behaviour
are not that consistent, not that black and white. Your simplistic
arguement does not hold true.

There are several examples of this. How many of us males who are known
for our rational and intelligent decision making in our careers have
married a pretty face only to learn later that "a pretty face is high
maintenance"? How many successful parents when faced with wayward
children initially refuse to believe the evidence yest it was apparent
to others all along? How many of us with good financial acumen in
investments and property make decisions to purchase something based
upon other than "the best buy for your money"?

People are not consistent, not by any means.

regards
Peter
Owning a cut-corners boat demonstrates for the entire world to see that
the owner is a cut-corners type of guy. If a lawyer is proud of his
MacGregor 26 then that tells me he's a cut-corners person and not the
person I want litigating an important case where cutting corners will
most likely be disastrous. If my doctor owns and is proud of a Mac26
then what corners is he going to cut when he operates on me. Is he going
to wash his hands thoroughly? Is he going to use autoclaved instruments?
So, when I see any cut-corners kind of guy out in a Mac26 I have to ask
myself what other corners is this guy going to cut. Does he even know
the basic navigation rules? Does he know how to anchor? Does he have the
proper safety equipment? After all he has already demonstrated that he
has no standards because of his boat purchase. Isn't it likely his
sloppiness and lack of standards permeates his entire life? I think so.
That's why I don't want any Macgregor's anywhere near me. The good news
is offshore where I am most of the time one rarely sees a Mac26 because
even if Mac owners have low standards they still value their lives
enough to stay within site of land.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Peter Hendra" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 16:37:38 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

True, but I'd rather associate with people with high standards who are
inconsistent than people with low standards who are inconsistent. Make
sense?

Wilbur Hubbard