posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Don White Don White is offline

Default Standards

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
There are high standards and there are low standards. For, example a
sailboat built to ABYS standards is poorly built compared to a sailboat
built to Lloyds standards. And a boat that's not built to any existing
accepted standard is a very questionable proposition. Yet, today's yacht
purchaser seems be unconcerned with boat building standards. They are more
concerned with how many it sleeps or if the head is enclosed. You should
ask yourself why.

Why? I'll be more than happy to tell you why. Because people these days
themselves have few or no standards. About 30% of the people in this
country call themselves Democrats, i.e., no standards. About 10% of the
people in this country are illiterate, i.e., no standards. But since most
of that 10% are Democrats I suppose it's six of one and half-dozen of the
other. About 90% of the people in this country watch excessive hours of
television daily, i.e., no standards. Less than half the people in this
country regularly attend church, i.e., no moral standards. These are but a
few examples of a standard-less society.

Now, what's this got to do with sailboats? Lots, believe me, lots! Take
the MacGregor 26X and 26M. Neither boat is built to any accepted standard
of quality at all. Yet, a standardless boat is the leading seller in that
size range. Is that not convincing proof that people these days have no
personal standards? Can you imagine anybody concerned with safety and
proper boat construction actually paying good money for a boat that's
built to no accepted boat building standards? It's incredible to think
such a sad state of affairs has eventuated.

Wilbur Hubbard

Never heard of the 'throw away society'?