BoatBanter.com

-   -   The average boat owning idiot. (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/79274-average-boat-owning-idiot.html)

Scotty March 23rd 07 12:25 AM

The average boat owning idiot.

Oh, that's right, $60 will barely get you 20 gallons
nowadays.

SBV

"Ringmaster" wrote in message
oups.com..
..
Scott, On second thought I probably take 5 gal to the boat

4 times a
summer. Therefore I probably spend less than $60.

Scotty March 23rd 07 12:28 AM

The average boat owning idiot.

"Gogarty" wrote in message
In article ncvMh.12322$zx.2406@trndny05,

says...

Maxprop... one buys a boat after a funeral and sells it

after the divorce.

No. The wife gets it.

The wife gets the prop , you get the shaft.

Scotty March 23rd 07 12:32 AM

The average boat owning idiot.

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message news:RHCMh.109466

. Real sailors anchor or moor out and take a dinghy to
shore.

Shore? Why do you feel the need to go to shore? When I
anchor out, I stay on the boat because that is where I
wanted to be in the first place.
You, sir, sound like a land lubber!

Scotty

Wilbur Hubbard March 23rd 07 12:44 AM

The average boat owning idiot.

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in

Both of you idiots don't have a clue.
Why, I've had a couple
or three other male sailors come by to visit and compare

cockpits
and shoot smack. It's nothing to go through a
couple quarts of rum and a ten pound bag of weed in one

afternoon. We can
moan loudly, shoot our ''guns'' , **** all over each other

and generally
raise hell, all of which would get you evicted from a

straight marina.

For me, it's an alternate lifestyle all of its own

Wilbur Hubbard

Oh brother, now I'm getting a clue.

SV

Hahahahahahahah! Good one!

WH

Wilbur Hubbard March 23rd 07 12:47 AM

The average boat owning idiot.

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message
. ..

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message ...

Nope, it is you two who just firmly established that you

are the
lubbers. You can stay aboard when you anchor out because

you anchor out
from time to time on the week-ends as a getaway from your

shoreside
life.

Oh, so you're saying you don't have a shoreside life? Too
sad.

Only lubbers claim a shoreside life. Real sailors live aboard and sail
for a life. But, you'd never understand so why am I wasting my time
trying to explain anything to a domesticated slave? Now run along, I
think I hear your wife calling you. I bet you sure hate that honeydo
list.

Wilbur Hubbard

Anon March 23rd 07 01:21 AM

The average boat owning idiot.

For me, sailing is a lifestyle all of its own and not some infrequent
escape from the workaday world like it is for you and poor domesticated
Scotty.

Sorry to hear you are out of work again.

Jeff March 23rd 07 01:48 AM

The average boat owning idiot.

* Wilbur Hubbard wrote, On 3/22/2007 8:24 PM:
I agree its a reasonable topic of discussion, but basing it on bogus
numbers is counterproductive.

So, let's split the difference then. You purposely went low and ...

No, I tried to be dead on.

I purposely went high.

So you admit you knowingly lied. But what else is new?

Let's compromise and call it 2OK a year. That's
still ridiculous. And it depends a lot on where you slip your boat.
Some places in some of the more expensive parts of the country
rent slips for a forty foot boat, for example, for well
over a grand a month.

Its true that you can find super expensive slips, just like you can
find super expensive houses. But the average is lower than your
quote. Not to mention, 40 feet is more than average.

Your
finance interest rates are too low. etc.

No, I got today's rate from the Essex Finance site, and ran it through
their calculator. That's the difference, I deal with reality, and you
live in a fantasy world.

So you should be willing to
compromise and split the difference too if you're reasonable.

OK, your premise leads to 14K/per year but 10K is easily possible.
Splitting the difference is 12K.

Elsewhere, you claim that investing the money would yield $540K, but
if I plug the real numbers ($14K plus your expenses), you'd actually
be ahead $225K. This is assuming 9% returns, but not factoring in
taxes owed on the income, and the tax deduction of the boat loan,
which could bring the difference down to about $180K. Clearly, its
still a high price to pay, but then, you can't take it with you.

Scotty March 23rd 07 01:59 AM

The average boat owning idiot.

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message ...

Only lubbers claim a shoreside life. Real sailors live

aboard and sail
for a life. But, you'd never understand so why am I

wasting my time
trying to explain anything to a domesticated slave? Now

run along, I
think I hear your wife calling you. I bet you sure hate

that honeydo
list.

Damn! She did just call me. Time for bed.

Oh, about the Honey-do list..... the rewards far outweigh
the effort.

;)