BoatBanter.com

-   -   The average boat owning idiot. (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/79274-average-boat-owning-idiot.html)

NE Sailboat March 22nd 07 01:09 PM

The average boat owning idiot.

Shaun,,, when you get "your" boat .. take those kids sailing. Tell them
what a great dad they had.

Someday they will own their own boat, and they will tell their kids what a
great friend their dad had.

=====================
"shaun" wrote in message
Jonathan Ganz wrote:
In article . net,
Maxprop wrote:

"Gogarty" wrote in message
. ..

In article , says...

"You can't take it with you."

We bought our first boat on the way home from the funeral of our best
man.
More than tweny years ago. The funeral was on the far end of Long Island
(his
ashes were scattered in Three Mile Harbor) and the yard was on the way
back to
Manhattan.

A funeral is always a reality check, especially when the deceased is
someone close and young. I think a lot of boats have been bought after
funerals.

Yes. Mine was doubly so.

mine is close and now i have just found out my mate who was addmitted to
hospital yesterday with a stroke or brain embelism is to have the wires
pulled tomorrow and he is only 45 yo.
A crying shame as he now leaves 2 children without a father whom they
adore.....
Just makes me more determined to get mine and sail her

a sad sad sad
Shaun

Jeff March 22nd 07 01:22 PM

The average boat owning idiot.

* NE Sailboat wrote, On 3/22/2007 9:07 AM:
Maxprop... one buys a boat after a funeral and sells it after the divorce.

Moral of the story..

Don't die, stay single.

And most important for you (and our gene pool), don't procreate.

Wilbur Hubbard March 22nd 07 01:42 PM

The average boat owning idiot.

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
In article . net,
Maxprop wrote:

"Gogarty" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...

"You can't take it with you."

We bought our first boat on the way home from the funeral of our
best man.
More than tweny years ago. The funeral was on the far end of Long
Island
(his
ashes were scattered in Three Mile Harbor) and the yard was on the
way
back to
Manhattan.

A funeral is always a reality check, especially when the deceased is
someone
close and young. I think a lot of boats have been bought after
funerals.

Yes. Mine was doubly so.

Can we go for a triple play, please.

Wilbur Hubbard

shaun March 22nd 07 02:15 PM

The average boat owning idiot.

Dennis Pogson wrote:

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

The average idiot buys a boat for say 100K and finances it for ten
years. He fits it out and keeps it in a slip. The fitting out costs
20K, the slip costs 5K per year, the insurance costs 1K a year.
Haulout for bottom paint 1K a year. Fuel 1/2K a year.

After ten years the idiot has spent 250K paying back the loan, 20K
fitting out, 50K slip fee, 10K insurance, 10K haulout, 5K fuel, oil,
filters, etc.

345K invested in a 100K boat that perhaps can be sold in ten years for
75K. Net loss of 270K. You pay 27 thousand dollars a year to use your
boat a dozen or so weekends a year. Stupid, just plain stupid!

Think about it.

Wilbur Hubbard

In the UK, the average idiot keeps his money in a savings account, which
pays less % interest than inflation. He has no boat, and no interest in
sailing or any other hobby.

When he dies, the Government values his "assets" including his house (an
essential pre-requisite in our climate), and deducts 40% inheritance tax.
The rest goes on funeral expenses and re-locating his dependants in a
smaller residence such as a mobile home.

I would opt for spending the $27K a year on a bit of enjoyment whist I'm
alive, at least I can put two fingers up to the Government jus before I
leave the planet for good!

Money is there to enjoy. It's only money when all is said and done. Spend it
before the men in Westminster get their filthy hands on it!

Dennis.

hear hear
Shaun

Don W March 22nd 07 02:20 PM

The average boat owning idiot.

Gogarty wrote:
My wife, a former banker, runs the money in this house. She has done very well
and had huge gains in her portfolios back at the peak of the dot com rage. I
could see the bust coming. "Sell all," says I, "and buy a Super Marimu," which
in those days was going for about $500,000. But nooooo....

Well, we can't afford to buy a Super Marimu today and we don't have the stocks
either. We would be way ahead had we bought the boat. And having fun, too.

Saw an article in a recent Cruising World
featuring Joel Potter and a Super Marimu. They
are about $850K new now. Nice boat, but...

We paid 1/30th of that amount cash for our Irwin
38, and it is a nice boat also. Sure leaves a lot
in the cruising kitty ;-)

Seriously, there are a lot of really nice big
boats that can be bought for less than $180K, and
a few really nice big boats that can be bought for
less than $90K. Why would anyone spend that
kind of money on a 54' sailboat unless it was just
pocket change? I'll bet over 10 years they would
take at least a $400K hickey--maybe more. What
are 1997s going for?

Don W.

Ringmaster March 22nd 07 02:44 PM

The average boat owning idiot.

Scott, On second thought I probably take 5 gal to the boat 4 times a
summer. Therefore I probably spend less than $60.

krj March 22nd 07 03:25 PM

The average boat owning idiot.

Gogarty wrote:
In article ncvMh.12322$zx.2406@trndny05, says...

Maxprop... one buys a boat after a funeral and sells it after the divorce.

No. The wife gets it.

Reminds me of a boat I saw on the river a few months ago, the name was
'My Half'
krj

NE Sailboat March 22nd 07 03:57 PM

The average boat owning idiot.

You are lucky .. I am in NH. I saw my first Robin this morning. The Robin
was wearing a polartech red breast wing.

========================

Tell Al Gore ...

=============================
"Gogarty" wrote in message
OK folks. This troll has had enough to keep him happy for some time. End
of
thread. Everybody out of the pool and over to the yard to start working on
the
boat. (Champing at the bit, looking at the snow still piled high on
Manhattan
streets, car still buried.)

Maxprop March 22nd 07 09:29 PM

The average boat owning idiot.

"Gogarty" wrote in message
In article . net,
says...

Absolutely. My father was fond of saying: "This isn't a dress
rehearsal."
His point being that one lives life or one does not. You can't take your
money with you, and I sure as hell have no great desire to pass it one to
my
kid and screw her up.

We initially thought of naming our boat "SOCI" with a sedilla on the C.
But we
thought it might be unncessarily provocative. Short for Spending Our
Children's Inheritance.

I've seen similar names, such as "Our Kids' Inheritance" and "Leaving
Nothing Behind for the Kids." The last one is a puzzlement--can you imagine
calling that in when asking for a slip?

Max