BoatBanter.com

-   -   The average boat owning idiot. (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/79274-average-boat-owning-idiot.html)

Tim March 25th 07 06:56 PM

The average boat owning idiot.

On Mar 25, 10:30 am, "KLC Lewis" wrote:
"Peter Hendra" wrote in message

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 18:56:08 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

My Faith differs in significant ways with Islam, in that we believe that
Prophets are sent to every generation, and that there will be no "Last
Prophet" until the end of time. Nevertheless, we agree with them in
significant ways also -- primarily that there is no god but God.

I just realised what I had typed after I pressed the Send button. I
hope that I did not come across as patronising. I wasn't.

regards
Peter

Not at all, Peter. It seemed very friendly. :-)- Hide quoted text -

Agreeing with KLC.

Thanks Peter.!

JimC March 25th 07 07:36 PM

The average boat owning idiot.

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
The average idiot buys a boat for say 100K and finances it for ten
years. He fits it out and keeps it in a slip. The fitting out costs 20K,
the slip costs 5K per year, the insurance costs 1K a year. Haulout for
bottom paint 1K a year. Fuel 1/2K a year.

After ten years the idiot has spent 250K paying back the loan, 20K
fitting out, 50K slip fee, 10K insurance, 10K haulout, 5K fuel, oil,
filters, etc.

345K invested in a 100K boat that perhaps can be sold in ten years for
75K. Net loss of 270K. You pay 27 thousand dollars a year to use your
boat a dozen or so weekends a year. Stupid, just plain stupid!

Think about it.

Wilbur Hubbard

I paid cash for the Mac26M, new and equipped as ordered. My slip fees,
insurance, and other expenses are much lower than the examples you give.
But I don't look down my nose like you do at people buying boats,
houses, cars, or consumer goods on credit. If it weren't for credit
(including credit cards), the US economy would go down the tube, lots of
homeowners would be living in trailers or tenements or on the streets,
and many more would be unemployed.

The issue isn't whether a person uses credit, it's how he/she uses it.
For example, a young family buying a home and car on credit and using
credit cards (with low interest rates, because of their good payment
history) and a relatively low total balance to level out major purchases
is doing the right thing, provided their total payments and total debt
load are moderate relative to their income level and reserves, and
provided they are keeping the percentage of their income invested in
savings, payments into 401 Ks, etc. high. In particular, they have more
budget savvy than someone who prides himself on being debt free but who
hasn't made wise long-term investments.

On the other hand, if owning one's boat, home and cars debt-free and
having lots of savings and investments is what's important, then you
should congratulate me. - Thanks Wilbur!

Jim

Two meter troll March 25th 07 09:03 PM

The average boat owning idiot.

On Mar 25, 8:35 am, "claus" wrote:
What does all this have to do with boating?

About as much as the first post ;)
2MT

katy March 25th 07 10:40 PM

The average boat owning idiot.

Scotty wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

Scotty wrote:

"katy" wrote in

projection TV.

So would I, but you never invite me.

Scotty

Maybe if we bathed?

together?

With Ringmaster

will the 3 of us fit?

Good Lord...

Scotty March 26th 07 02:45 AM

The average boat owning idiot.

"JimC" wrote in message
t...
Wilbur Hubbard

I paid $25 cash for the Mac26M,

You get what you pay for.

JimC March 27th 07 04:49 PM

The average boat owning idiot.

Scotty wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message
t...

Wilbur Hubbard

I paid $25 cash for the Mac26M,

You get what you pay for.

\

Sorry you had to sell your Mac, Scotty. It's obvious that you still
miss it.

Jim

tlindly March 29th 07 09:11 AM

The average boat owning idiot.

Your ignorance and indefendable rudeness is appalling.
actually, I think lauri insulted Wilbur's name first, and was
much more rude and appalling...

Mahommed Panaeyotis Hendra
Make fun of these

Just trying to sound it out is a whole lots of fun...

tlindly March 29th 07 09:23 AM

The average boat owning idiot.

You are wrong moron. As the Koran - or more correctly transliterated
from the arabic - Q'uran - is written in arabic, there are several
accepted spellings.

s.a.n.d.n.i.g.g.e.r?

Jere Lull March 31st 07 08:33 AM

On 2007-03-21 17:44:29 -0400, Charlie Morgan said:

If you bought a car for $25k, drove it for 20 years and sold it for 25k, would
you consider it a loss because you spent all that money on oil changes, tires,
and brake jobs? I sure wouldn't. The use I got out of it for those 20 years has
value.

Sailing has costs, but when I factor in what I *used* to pay for
vacations and weekend get-aways that we no longer need, it's positively
cheap. Heck, a weekend on the boat costs less than dinner and a movie.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD