Parallax

Default Worst of all possible materials

Inspired useless idea #3437

For ppl who want a wood boat but cannot give up synthetic resins.
Make a hull from "oriented wood strands" held together with polyester
resin. Not only could it rot, it'd get blisters too.
Jere Lull

Parallax wrote:

Inspired useless idea #3437

For ppl who want a wood boat but cannot give up synthetic resins.
Make a hull from "oriented wood strands" held together with polyester
resin. Not only could it rot, it'd get blisters too.

Naaa! Properly done cold molded boats are the lightest and strongest in
existence. And cold molding is so far away from rocket science that
anyone with even moderate intelligence could do it right accidently.

(I first raced as crew on a boat as you describe. Was a rocket.)

--
Jere Lull

carlp

Parallax wrote:

Inspired useless idea #3437

For ppl who want a wood boat but cannot give up synthetic resins.
Make a hull from "oriented wood strands" held together with polyester
resin. Not only could it rot, it'd get blisters too.

//////////////

People use exterior ply for boatbuilding and surely if it is given a
substantial amount of epoxy glass and cloth.or a good quality facing.
The glue used in construction of oriented wood sheets is the same as other
exterior and marine plys.
If I were to use it I would use substancial framing to support it stringers
ect. saying that it is a tough old material. certainly keep the costs down.

Parallax

"carlp" wrote in message ...
Parallax wrote:

Inspired useless idea #3437

For ppl who want a wood boat but cannot give up synthetic resins.
Make a hull from "oriented wood strands" held together with polyester
resin. Not only could it rot, it'd get blisters too.

//////////////

People use exterior ply for boatbuilding and surely if it is given a
substantial amount of epoxy glass and cloth.or a good quality facing.
The glue used in construction of oriented wood sheets is the same as other
exterior and marine plys.
If I were to use it I would use substancial framing to support it stringers
ect. saying that it is a tough old material. certainly keep the costs down.

OK, I withdraw my sarcastic remarks. However, after seeing "Oriented
Strand Board" used for a roof that leaked a little and became a soggy
mess, it'd take more to convince me but I accept that its feasible.
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 05:39:19 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Parallax wrote:

Inspired useless idea #3437

For ppl who want a wood boat but cannot give up synthetic resins.
Make a hull from "oriented wood strands" held together with polyester
resin. Not only could it rot, it'd get blisters too.

Naaa! Properly done cold molded boats are the lightest and strongest in
existence.

This was true in 1970, but not now.

And cold molding is so far away from rocket science that
anyone with even moderate intelligence could do it right accidently.

Strands of wood fiber in polyester?

(I first raced as crew on a boat as you describe. Was a rocket.)

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Religious wisdom is to wisdom as military music is to music."