Default Staylock fittings

Am able to obtain some 8mm and 10mm second hand Staylock fittings.

Am I able to re-use the internal cone or is it necessary to buy new
ones?

Any advice appreciated

regards
Peter

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 13:13:55 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Peter Hendra" wrote in message
.. .
Am able to obtain some 8mm and 10mm second hand Staylock fittings.

Am I able to re-use the internal cone or is it necessary to buy new
ones?

Any advice appreciated

regards
Peter

The cones can be re-used but the fly in the ointment is once they are
crushed onto the center part of the wire they have to be pried apart
along the slot with a screwdriver and this usually buggers them up. To
save work and get a better job of it, it's more than worth it to buy new
cones. They aren't all that expensive, after all.

Wilbur Hubbard

Thanks Wilbur,
I'll see if I can get them locally

Cheers
Peter

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:43:24 -0500, "Noname"
wrote:

"Peter Hendra" wrote in message
.. .
Am able to obtain some 8mm and 10mm second hand Staylock fittings.

Am I able to re-use the internal cone or is it necessary to buy new
ones?

Any advice appreciated

Peter,

Definitely buy new ones. Only use old ones in an emergency.

When ordering them, be sure to specify the wire size as well as the wire
type - for example is it 1x19 (most likely for standing rigging) or 7x19 or
7x7 or ? ?

If you have non-metric (fractional) wire, you should be careful. Some sizes
may use same fittings, but several do not. 8mm is very close to 5/16", but
10mm is not close to a fractional size.

Deal with a knowledgeable supplier and explain exactly what you are doing.
One good on line supplier is:

http://www.sailingservices.com/stalok/SL_product.htm

Have them send you installation instructions - you will need them to do a
good job.

I have no connection with them, but used to be in the rigging business
myself!

Thanks very much for this advice. I know my level of ignorance.

cheers
Peter

[...]

What gives with hose fittings? Roger Long Cruising 21 February 13th 06 06:44 AM
question for peggie - hose fittings Cindy Ballreich Cruising 4 December 16th 05 08:58 PM
Grease fittings Wayne.B Cruising 4 January 21st 05 05:11 AM
Grease fittings Wayne.B General 4 January 21st 05 05:11 AM
T-Ball shroud fittings jeannette Cruising 3 March 17th 04 06:07 PM