K2 K2 is offline

Default new macerator pump installation

I am interested in installing a macerator pump for overboard discharge
(within legal limits). I understand the need for a vented loop (if not
installed where a thru hull can be closed when not in use). My current
"head installation" has a 1 1/2 " discharge hose routed through a
vented loop, then to a y-valve for direction to the thru hull or
holding tank. I would like to install a macerator pump from the
holding tank, but don't desire to dedicate the thru hull to macerator
discharge only. In other words, I would like to use the thru hull for
normal dischage (when within legal limits) without having to route all
waste to the holding tank first (and then to the macerator pump ). Is
it possible to direct the macerator pump output into a "T" , after the
toilet - before the vented loop? The toilet would then use the "vented
loop - as always, and the macerator pump would also use ithe same
vented loop. Any thoughts? I don't believe the macerator pump would
cause back flow into the toilet - or am I wrong? If this isn't crazy,
then does anyone know where to obtain a 1 1/2" "T" (with a 1" input
for the "T"?
Thanks,
K2

tom tom is offline

On Mar 15, 11:57 am, "K2" wrote:
[...]

Remember, the more connections you have, the more likely you'll
have odor problems. You current setup isn't clear to me, mine is
simple, pump to its own thruhull, be aware if you do something that
is not ABYC approved, you are likely to face fixing it later when you
fail a survey.
tom

K2 wrote:
I am interested in installing a macerator pump for overboard discharge
(within legal limits). I understand the need for a vented loop (if not
installed where a thru hull can be closed when not in use). My current
"head installation" has a 1 1/2 " discharge hose routed through a
vented loop, then to a y-valve for direction to the thru hull or
holding tank. I would like to install a macerator pump from the
holding tank, but don't desire to dedicate the thru hull to macerator
discharge only. In other words, I would like to use the thru hull for
normal dischage (when within legal limits) without having to route all
waste to the holding tank first (and then to the macerator pump ). Is
it possible to direct the macerator pump output into a "T" , after the
toilet - before the vented loop?

It'll work if you move the existing vented loop to put it AFTER the
y-valve. You don't need a vented loop between the toilet and the tank,
only between the toilet--and now the macerator--and the thru-hull. Put
the loop as close to the thru-hull as possible and tee the line from the
macerator into the head discharge line as close as possible to the
inboard side of the loop.

You'd still need to keep the thru-hull closed except when the toilet is
in use--or while dumping the tank--though...to prevent sea water from
being forced up the line into the toilet or tank. A vented loop won't
prevent water from being PUSHED over it, it only breaks the flow of
water being pulled through it (a siphon)...and neither will a macerator.
A macerator will only slow it down quite a bit. If it's impractical to
keep the seacock closed except when using the toilet, put a shutoff
valve in the line that is accessible. And ALWAYS close both the intake
and discharge seacocks when leaving the boat no matter how big a PITA it
is to to do it.
--
Peggie
----------

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
t...
K2 wrote:
[...]

I'm involved in pretty much the same project as K2 and would appreciate
some clarification on a couple of your points.

You say "Put the loop as close to the thru-hull as possible ". Not sure
what you mean here. My vented loop is about 1 foot higher than the thru
hull. Wouldn't this lessen the chance of water being forced back into the
toilet?

You also say "tee the line from the macerator into the head discharge line
as close as possible to the
inboard side of the loop". This is the line from the y-valve to the vented
loop, correct? So when the Y-valve is set to run sewage to the holding tank
the toilet is shut off from the thru hull and you don't need to worry about
the macerator pumping back into the toilet, correct?

When the toilet is using the thru hull are you going to pump liquid into the
macerator discharge line and possible back into the tank? Could put a 1
inch ball valve in the macerator line.

Thanks

Gordon Wedman wrote:
Peggie
I'm involved in pretty much the same project as K2 and would appreciate
some clarification on a couple of your points.

You say "Put the loop as close to the thru-hull as possible ". Not sure
what you mean here. My vented loop is about 1 foot higher than the thru
hull. Wouldn't this lessen the chance of water being forced back into the
toilet?

"As close to the thru-hull as possible" doesn't have anything to do with
the height of the loop, only with how far upstream from the thru-hull to
put the loop. Obviously, how far upstream depends upon how much height
is available...hence "...as close as possible..."

You also say "tee the line from the macerator into the head discharge line
as close as possible to the
inboard side of the loop". This is the line from the y-valve to the vented
loop, correct?

No...the vented loop needs to be on the outboard side of the macerator.

So when the Y-valve is set to run sewage to the holding tank
the toilet is shut off from the thru hull and you don't need to worry about
the macerator pumping back into the toilet, correct?

Right...but not the way you're envisioning it. The plumbing should be:

toilet to y-valve...one side of y-valve to tank, the other side to
vented loop and thru-hull.

From the tank to a macerator to a tee in the toilet discharge line
that's AFTER the y-valve, but ahead of the vented loop.
-
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books...ku=90&cat=1304

Peggie Hall wrote in news:PtlLh.1234$rj1.607
@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

From the tank to a macerator to a tee in the toilet discharge line
that's AFTER the y-valve, but ahead of the vented loop.

I think I'm going to be sick....(c;

Larry
--
Any time I see "macerator" it reminds me of when the discharge hose came
off....

"Larry" wrote in message
Peggie Hall wrote in news:PtlLh.1234$rj1.607
@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

From the tank to a macerator to a tee in the toilet discharge line
that's AFTER the y-valve, but ahead of the vented loop.

I think I'm going to be sick....(c;

I can take the smell of rotten, festering, human waste. It's the sight
of it in the form of Peggy Hall I can't abide.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
Peggie Hall wrote in news:PtlLh.1234$rj1.607
@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

From the tank to a macerator to a tee in the toilet discharge line
that's AFTER the y-valve, but ahead of the vented loop.

I think I'm going to be sick....(c;

I can take the smell of rotten, festering, human waste. It's the sight
of it in the form of Peggy Hall I can't abide.

Wilbur Hubbard

Was that really necessary?

I use Thunderbird as a mail and news reader. Does anyone know how to
block senders using Thunderbird?
Thanks
Gordon

* Gordon wrote, On 3/19/2007 12:04 PM:
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
Peggie Hall wrote in news:PtlLh.1234$rj1.607
@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

From the tank to a macerator to a tee in the toilet discharge line
that's AFTER the y-valve, but ahead of the vented loop.

I think I'm going to be sick....(c;

I can take the smell of rotten, festering, human waste. It's the sight
of it in the form of Peggy Hall I can't abide.

Wilbur Hubbard

Was that really necessary?

I use Thunderbird as a mail and news reader. Does anyone know how to
block senders using Thunderbird?
Thanks
Gordon

You can right-click on the "From:" name and select "create filter from
message". Or you can find it from the "Message" menu at the top.
The sequence: alt-M A Enter Escape does it for me.

"Gordon" wrote in message
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
Peggie Hall wrote in news:PtlLh.1234$rj1.607
@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

From the tank to a macerator to a tee in the toilet discharge line
that's AFTER the y-valve, but ahead of the vented loop.

I think I'm going to be sick....(c;

I can take the smell of rotten, festering, human waste. It's the sight of
it in the form of Peggy Hall I can't abide.

Wilbur Hubbard

Was that really necessary?

I use Thunderbird as a mail and news reader. Does anyone know how to
block senders using Thunderbird?
Thanks
Gordon

A quick search found this..