Default Finally used the RF

The whole question of furling depends on intent, age and aptitude. My
30 year old racer-cruiser has beefy rigging, hank-on everything, and
non-tailing Barlow winches. And a tiller...I love it. I point high,
tack rapidly, and have plenty to keep me busy on Lake Ontario.

The boat's used as a cruiser, but I sail her like I race...as crew on
other people's boats...cheaper that way.

If I had a 40 footer, and was passagemaking, I would have a COMPLETELY
different viewpoint, but for now, I like the simplicity and
performance of hank-on. In fact, I just bought a couple of one-season,
tape luff Kevlar sails for a ridiculously low price, and I am having
them converted to hank ons for a main and a smallish No. 1 (they are
off a fairly similar boat and will only cost a couple of hundred to
recut. If I get three or four seasons out of them, I will have done
very well.

SO to each his or her own. Talk to me in ten or twenty years (I'm
42)...I'm sure I will be a FURLING PURIST by then...G

R..

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:33:00 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

x-no-archive:yes (Parallax) wrote:

(Larry W4CSC) wrote in message ...
Wait until you sail on a boat with roller furling masts.......Totally
spoiled....Lazy jacks like hell....

On 27 Oct 2003 15:44:41 -0800,
(Parallax)
wrote:

I finally managed to get out by myself to try out the new CDI roller
furling on my 28' S2. Why didn't ppl tell me how much easier it would
make sailing? (Oh, many ppl did, but being something of a
luddite....). It was great, furled and unfurled at least 6 times just
cuz it was so easy. With a hank on jib, after I put it away, I would
not get it back out for any reason cuz of the hassle, now, no problem.
Its great. NOW, I want Lazy Jacks.

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"

I dunno, not being able to fix things easily worries me. I spose
thats why I also drive an old truck with 300,000 miles on it.

We have a roller furling jib, a roller furling staysail and a behind
the mast roller furling main. Totally accessible to be fixed.
Unfortunately, I don't think they make them anymore. You might look
at the boom furling ones though.

grandma Rosalie

Finally splashed RGrew176 General 3 June 5th 04 02:35 AM
OT Finally, BushCo starts crumbling basskisser General 4 June 4th 04 12:55 PM
Finally got up on the wakeboard! Ree-Yees General 2 June 1st 04 10:28 PM
A watch that I finally bought Paul General 0 August 2nd 03 12:05 PM