Default Whale watching in New England

Wayne.B wrote in
:

We sometimes get 5 or 6 at a time playing in the wake.

I can tell the wildlife is just terrified of your presence...(c;

We don't make much of a wake with Lionheart....more like a little ripple
with us sitting in the trough of it...(c;

Larry
--
How much price inflation is caused by illegal
aliens gobbling up goods and services, creating

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 22:03:45 -0500, Larry wrote:

We sometimes get 5 or 6 at a time playing in the wake.

I can tell the wildlife is just terrified of your presence...(c;

There is something about the GB49 that is a bit of a dolphin magnet.
Since there are lots of boats around here that leave big wakes, it
must be the roar of the 671s or those big 30 inch props churning up
the water.

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
With the cans floating in the water and the Just Married sign on the
transom ?? Might be against the mammal act.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I'm thinking a fun thing to do this summer might be to take the boat out
to Stellwagen Bank or other whale spots. It would give my crew and
guests a taste of offshore life and be an interesting quest.

Has anybody done this in a sailboat? I'm wondering things like whether
public sighting reports are available, probability of seeing anything,
etc.

--
Roger Long

Was up there last summer, Stellwegen is a giant buffet for whales. The
humpbacks were working as teams to concentrate the fish. Saw at least 50
Humpbacks in 30 minutes, also saw some Fin Whales. Re the type of boat we
were in a 36" Silverton but it doesn't really make any difference (power or
sail) they will come right up to you and sometimes even go under your boat
(a little daunting). Bring your camera, you won't need a long lens. While we
were there a Woods Hole OI boat was going up to them and attaching radio
transponders, they didn't seem to be much bothered.

Larry wrote:

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

Has anybody done this in a sailboat? I'm wondering things like
whether public sighting reports are available, probability of seeing
anything, etc.

It was 3AM. I'm alone on the midwatch about 90 miles off the Georgia
coast headed North to Charleston in an Endeavour 35 behind the helm about
half asleep on a nice broad reach with a steady breeze and 4'
seas.....staring at the blank Raymarine display.

The usual slapping of the waves against the hull and wind in the rigging
is suddenly, unexpectedly, broached by this huge air venting out in the
pitch black, inky darkness straight out to starboard. This is followed
by a HUGE splash in the dark that sounds like a fast attack submarine
doing an emergency blow and jumping out of the water at full ahead.....at
least it did sitting there alone just off the waves lapping at the stern
right behind me.

Larry had NO trouble staying awake until past dawn, his watch long over
as he let Lloyd, the only other sailor aboard, sleep in the v-
berth....his system supercharged with pure adrenalyn surging through his
arteries. Even my toes tingled.

It must have been one of your buddies headed for the P-town
tourboats....far away.

Larry

Many years ago when i was into windrush 14 cat's
i was doing a solo run to rottenest on a gloriest
day you could want for sailing about 14knt sw which had me on a near
perfect beam reach belting along with one hull just tipping the waves
when this great black lump rose in front of me my first thought was heck
its a sub. (navy base near by)

I let the sheets go and luffed up to avoid smashing into it then it
rolled onto its side lifted its eye out of the water looked directly at
me seemed to wink then rolled back all without the slightest thought of
hurting me as it seemed more interested in me than i was of it. (by the
way they have the most beautiful brown eyes)

Then ever so gently it slid back under me and down and turned south.
After my quaking subsided i thought it was safe to continue
when once more i was belting along as only a cat can do with spray
flying all about when i heard the sound of rushing air behind and to the
south and there was this whale again this time with his/her mate coming
up behind me and the pair of them paced me no more than 6 feet off my
port hull for a few minutes (felt like a life time)then slowly drew
ahead and curved of to the west towards the deep water channel.

and all i can think of was the whale saying to his/her mate see i told
you there was daft bugger on a cat out here.
Shaun

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:51:00 -0400, Rick B. wrote:

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 19:02:11 -0500, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I'm thinking a fun thing to do this summer might be to take the boat out to
Stellwagen Bank or other whale spots. It would give my crew and guests a
taste of offshore life and be an interesting quest.

Has anybody done this in a sailboat? I'm wondering things like whether
public sighting reports are available, probability of seeing anything, etc.

We listen to the commercial whale watch boats on the VHF as the
spotters call to each other and then head in that general direction if
it's within reach. Had great luck last year out of Casco Bay. We'd
spent the night anchored off Richardson Island and then went out about
6 miles, not only whales but dolphins as well. It was one of the
better days.

Set a course out of a harbour on Ende Island, Indonesia that was clear
of all land, racks etc. Wife on watch yells out to check navigation as
there is a large black rock dead ahead. No, no such rock on the chart.
Checked everything again including GPS, bearings to land etc. On
getting closer the mass of seabirds perched on top and a hoard of
buzzing flies flew up. It was a dead Minke whale floating belly up.

It obviously had been dead for sometime if the stench was any
indication. I'd hate to have hit it at even just 5 knots. I reckon
you'd have to burn the yacht to get rid of the smell.

Peter

wrote:

I'm thinking a fun thing to do this summer might be to take the boat out
Stellwagen Bank or other whale spots. It would give my crew and guests a
taste of offshore life and be an interesting quest.

Has anybody done this in a sailboat? I'm wondering things like whether
public sighting reports are available, probability of seeing anything,
etc.

We have sailed out to Stellwagen a number of times. Sailing makes it an all
day trip, usually arriving in time for lunch. We look for the commercial
whale watchers. We have not found much on the radio. Some watchers come
into view on the way out and we follow their lead. We have never been
disappointed. My best story is the time I was photographing my wife and
niece and they were watching a humpback broach less than a boat length
behind me. They didn't tell me about it until after I snapped their picture,
by then I heard the splash, but it was too late.

Whale Watching at Los Angeles - Info wanted [email protected] Cruising 3 January 8th 07 03:18 PM
LA Whale watching: GPS coordinates? [email protected] Cruising 6 January 30th 06 11:25 PM
New boating pastime for Londoners? Whale watching on the Thames [email protected] General 4 January 22nd 06 02:57 AM
Deluge of right whale deaths Mac ASA 0 January 13th 05 03:26 PM
Hints for Whale Watching off So. Calif ? Go Fig Cruising 4 February 10th 04 01:45 AM