Default CA to BC Singlehanded?

Hi,

As some know, I'm looking for a 28-ft sailboat, probably an Islander
28. I've seen several in California that look in sailable condition
and in my price-range. Looks like it would cost around $4000CDN or so
to ship one up, so I was thinking...

Can I sail it up?

Is it feasable to think about sailing a 28-ft boat up from, say, LA to
Pt Roberts, singlehanded? How long would it take? What's the best time
of year? What things should I look for or upgrade on the boat before I
made the trip? Should I "gunkhole" (ie stop at every port), or do long
passages offshore?

I've been sailing Georgia Strait for over 30 years, mostly
singlehanded, on boats 22, 25, and 36 ft, but rarely "offshore".

Here's one I'm considering:
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...id=1900&url =

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

druid wrote:
[...]

Charlie's Charts would be a helpful resource. Brian Fagan has some good
stuff on the L.A. to SF part of the trip, but I'm not sure whether he
has anything about route strategies for farther north.

I'd definitely not do it in the winter months; summer is your best bet.
If I were to do it I'd much rather have an able-bodied and knowledgeable
crew member along.

Take a look at this link
http://www.latitude38.com/LectronicL...#anchor1085433
to see what can happen when one does not respect the weather that one
can encounter in this part of the pacific. The voyage you propose is
certainly do-able, but I'd proceed with caution and respect.

Cheers,
Alan Gomes

Take a look at this linkhttp://www.latitude38.com/LectronicLat/2006/1206/Dec18/Dec18.html#anc...
to see what can happen when one does not respect the weather that one
can encounter in this part of the pacific. The voyage you propose is
certainly do-able, but I'd proceed with caution and respect.

Thanks, Alan. Yes, "summer" definitely, but up here we talk about
"fogust" so June or July would be better if it was here. Don't know
about Oregon or WA, though....

Yes, I've seen MANY pics and clips about disasters and boats in
trouble on the Oregon and WA coasts (esp Columbia River entrance and
LaPush), but I'm wondering if this is typical, or if I have a good
chance of picking a week where it's pretty much flat calm (or at least
less than 3-4 meters). Do people commonly go out off the coast in 28-
footers, or would an attempt be worthy of book and song?

Anybody know?
druid

Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 21, 9:16 am, Alan Gomes wrote:

I'd definitely not do it in the winter months;

Sound advice. ALthough traditionally, January has a nice big High for
a couple weeks producing light variable winds and glassy seas. I think
pilots call that condition a "sucker hole" looks
inviting.............. then it closes up and u r in big trouble.

summer is your best bet.

Typicall summer weather...................... NW 15-30K, seas W or NW
8-20', air temp 58 F, water temp 50-53 F, FOG.

DOnt sond too much fun on a lake boat.

If I were to do it I'd much rather have an able-bodied and knowledgeable
crew member along.

Then your AB crew says your nuts and makes decessions counter to yours
bwe cause the AB is more knowledagble......... then what. A boat can
have only one captain.

Cheers,
Alan Gomes- Hide quoted text -

Bob wrote:
On Feb 21, 9:16 am, Alan Gomes wrote:

I'd definitely not do it in the winter months;

Sound advice. ALthough traditionally, January has a nice big High for
a couple weeks producing light variable winds and glassy seas. I think
pilots call that condition a "sucker hole" looks
inviting.............. then it closes up and u r in big trouble.

summer is your best bet.

Typicall summer weather...................... NW 15-30K, seas W or NW
8-20', air temp 58 F, water temp 50-53 F, FOG.

DOnt sond too much fun on a lake boat.

If I were to do it I'd much rather have an able-bodied and knowledgeable
crew member along.

Then your AB crew says your nuts and makes decessions counter to yours
bwe cause the AB is more knowledagble......... then what. A boat can
have only one captain.

There are certainly people who are both able bodied and knowledgeable
who also respect the captain's right to make the decisions. Obviously
you need to know something about the person's attitude, etc. ahead of
time to be clear on that point. On the other hand, someone who doesn't
know anything could actually be more of a hindrance than a help when the
stuff hits the fan, because then you are looking out for their welfare
as well as trying to sail the boat. I'd probably opt for single handing
before having someone like that aboard.

--AG

"druid" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

You can more-or-less harbor-hop up the coast, but beware of some very
treacherous coastal conditions along the northern California and Southern
Oregon coastlines -- not to mention Washington. Many have come to grief
along those rocky shores. Winds and currents are predominantly from the
north-north-west, which makes for a long wet beat up that coast, but in the
winter months there are the occasional southern gales. It can be done, and
many have done it. But I would seriously recommend at least one crew aboard
even if you do intend to hop the coast.

The Better Route? Go to Hawaii and then across. Longer, but safer.

Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 21, 9:15 am, "KLC Lewis" wrote:

You can more-or-less harbor-hop up the coast, but beware of some very
treacherous coastal conditions

but in the
winter months there are the occasional southern gales.

Yes, the Oregon coast did experince one of thoes "southern gales" two
months ago.

Newport reported 108 mph gusts and a steady 80 mph. Just another one
of thoes pesky southern gales. About once EVERY winter we have a 100
mph + storm, several 60-80 mph storms, and a series of 50 k winds with
25' seas. Check out NOAA bouy reports for a full picture.

PLEASE truck your boat. I am tired of reading about yet another
visitor lost at sea.

The Better Route? Go to Hawaii and then across. Longer, but safer.

Yes, this is what some cruise guides recomend. But do that in a lake
boat???

Bob

On Feb 21, 9:36 am, "Bob" wrote:
On Feb 21, 9:15 am, "KLC Lewis" wrote:

You can more-or-less harbor-hop up the coast, but beware of some very
treacherous coastal conditions
but in the
winter months there are the occasional southern gales.

Yes, the Oregon coast did experince one of thoes "southern gales" two
months ago.
SNIP

Of course I wouldn't consider such a trip in the winter months. I'm
going by my experience with the WCVI, which in the winter also has
"hurricane-force" storms and 10-meter seas. But in the summer, usually
the biggest problem is fog (which is why virtually ALL boats on WCVI
have radar). We went around Cape Caution in June and apart from the
swells, I could have taken my dinghy.

But it sounds like the Ore coast is not as nice as the WCVI, even in
summer. (although if it's ludicrous to be out in a 28-ft boat, why
does LaPush SOMETIMES have a warning for boats "under 26 feet"?)

PLEASE truck your boat. I am tired of reading about yet another
visitor lost at sea.

That does sound like the Right Thing to Do. This wasn't a "dream" for
me, just a possible option. My "dream" is to "circumavigate" (it that
the right word for going around an island?) Vancouver Island, and I
know a boat like this could easily do that in the summer (as long as I
have radar...)

The Better Route? Go to Hawaii and then across. Longer, but safer.

Yes, this is what some cruise guides recomend. But do that in a lake
boat???

Not sure your definition of "lake boat". I'm pretty sure I28's have
done the trek to Hawaii: I know many Catalina 27s have, and of course
Crown 28's and Cal 29's do it all the time. I have considered it, but
I just don't have the time it would take.

druid

druid wrote:
On Feb 21, 9:36 am, "Bob" wrote:
[...]

An Islander 28 is not a "lake boat." It's a decently built coastal
cruiser, which can be (and has been) taken on longer off-shore voyages
but which is not the ideal vessel for such an enterprise. Ditto for the
Cal 29--great boat but with a number of characteristics (e.g., large
cockpit, fairly large companion way, etc.) that would not make it a
first choice for extended offshore work. Such voyages can be done, have
been done, and are not suicide to do if the appropriate precautions are
taken.

--Alan Gomes