Bob Bob is offline

Default CA to BC Singlehanded?

On Feb 21, 4:30 pm, "Jack Dale" wrote:
Hi Lloyd

A sailing instructor colleague did a multihanded trip from California and
said it was one omne of the worst expereinces in his life (mainly under
power)

The only similarity between sailing in the Georgia Strait and going offshore
is that you are on a boat.

I have been in the Pacific (Honolulu to the PNW) in an Elite 37. That is as
small as I am prepared to go.

"Truck it."

Jack

Thank you for that post Jack. Maybe if that guy hears enough posts
like yours it will sink in to his head that life above N 45 line is
not the same as California Del Fun. Once he gets the boat up here Im
sure it will be a lot of fun running over the bar on a nice day. Its
kinda cool in the bottom of a trough looking up and seeing the crest
above your mast.............

Prudent.............and alive Bob

PS Think 7"x15" non opening ports with 3/8" lexan through bolted with
fourteen 1/4" 316 MS as a minimum standard. Opening ports? Again
nothing bigger than 7x15 with 10mm tempered glass in through bolted
bronze or ss frames with at least 4 dogs.

Again thank you Jack for your to the point advice for Mr. Lake Boat.

Bob wrote:

[...]

When I was a teen we did weekend sailing in very heavy seas, the molokai
channel, at night and during the day, in a very seaworthy sailboat, a
Blanchard 33.' The boat always felt solid, I was never afraid, even at
the tiller myself with everyone else asleep.

I loved it. I really did, waves washing over the cockpit and all. But
the rough passage only lasted for a day or less, then we'd anchor in a
calm bay or harbor and rest.

And nowadays, I'm not taking my Hunter 33' anywhere near ocean waters.
Puget Sound and related inland passages is enough for me and my family,
especially if we're going to be on the boat more than two or three days
at a time.

Stephen

On Feb 21, 6:25 pm, "Bob" wrote:

Thank you for that post Jack. Maybe if that guy hears enough posts
like yours it will sink in to his head that life above N 45 line is
not the same as California Del Fun. Once he gets the boat up here Im
sure it will be a lot of fun running over the bar on a nice day. Its
kinda cool in the bottom of a trough looking up and seeing the crest
above your mast.............

First, don't insult my intelligence. As I've posted several times, I
WILL be trucking any boat I find in CA - I wanted some opinions on the
trek and I have received them and made a decision.

As for "life above N45" - I've never sailed in CA but I'm at N49 and
have sailed to N52 or so. I've been on WCVI. I know people who do
fishing charters off Uclulet in 26ft powerboats. I'm not an idoit.

And I'll take your 12-second, mast-high crests against the 5-sec 12-
footers you get when the 9-knot flood out Porlier hits the NW swells:
The first one picks your boat up (it's unnerving to see the KEEL of
the boat next to you...), then your boat drops into the trough - just
in time for the next wave to break over the buried bow. And of course
the resulting 12-foot freefall has dislodged everything not REALLY
nailed down, including your teeth.

Been there in a 22-ft McGreggor before I knew better.

Prudent.............and alive Bob

You must be scared sh*tless driving down a 2-lane highway (in your
Hummer, I presume). You must have seen what happens when two vehicles
collide at closing speeds over 100mph?

druid - prudent, but not prude.

On Feb 22, 10:05 am, "druid" wrote:

First, don't insult my intelligence.

I appologize. I did not know you were so capable. Good luck and have
fun with your new boat.

Bob

Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 22, 10:05 am, "druid" wrote:

First, don't insult my intelligence.
I'm not an idoit.

druid - prudent, but not prude.

Dear druid:
I appologize. I did not realize you were so capable and sailed such
trecherous waters. Good luck with your new boat.
Bob

Can't you find a boat in Seattle?

--

SeeYaa Harbin Osteen KG6URO

When American Citizens with dual citizenship pledges allegiance
to the flag, to which flag do they pledge allegiance too?

-

"druid" wrote in message ps.com...
Hi,

As some know, I'm looking for a 28-ft sailboat, probably an Islander
28. I've seen several in California that look in sailable condition
and in my price-range. Looks like it would cost around $4000CDN or so
to ship one up, so I was thinking...

Can I sail it up?

Is it feasable to think about sailing a 28-ft boat up from, say, LA to
Pt Roberts, singlehanded? How long would it take? What's the best time
of year? What things should I look for or upgrade on the boat before I
made the trip? Should I "gunkhole" (ie stop at every port), or do long
passages offshore?

I've been sailing Georgia Strait for over 30 years, mostly
singlehanded, on boats 22, 25, and 36 ft, but rarely "offshore".

Here's one I'm considering:
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...id=1900&url =

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

On Feb 21, 10:51 pm, "Harbin Osteen" wrote:
Can't you find a boat in Seattle?

Not yet. As I said, right now I'm looking at options. I'm hoping to
find one here in Vanc. so I don't have to "import" it (NAFTA - what a
joke!). Originally the Plan was to get Far Cove sold and get another
boat before summer (specifically before the First Annual BC Boatnet
Rendezvous in June 2/3!). But now I'm thinking more waiting until fall
so I can scoop up one that the owner doesn't want to store over the
winter.

There IS one in Napa, CA that looks nice, though, and the price is
right (even including trucking costs).

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

ps:
One more Comment: I once looked at taking my 18-ft powerboat from Port
Hardy to Ocean Falls (around Cape Caution) and was warned of 30-ft
waves and 50knot winds. When we finally made the trip in Far Cove, the
worst waves we encountered were in the First Narrows (wakes from the
commercial vessels). So I take some of the Doom-and-gloom with a grain
of salt.

krj krj is offline

druid wrote:
[...]

So what's wrong with Far Cove that makes you want to sell it?