Default What type of sail rig is this?

On 2007-03-03 10:31:49 -0500, "Ken Heaton, Cape Breton Island, Nova
Scotia" said:

I'd call it a schooner as well. There are many photos out there of 3,
4 and even 5 masted schooners, all masts the same height so one with 2
masts the same height fits the same definition. I always think of a
ketch as having a main mast and a mizzen (shorter aft) mast

So what exactly is a yawl rig?
Ruby
Ruby Vee

Focusing on the negative only gives it more power -- Chinese fortune cookie

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 19:49:15 -0500, Ruby Vee

On 2007-03-03 10:31:49 -0500, "Ken Heaton, Cape Breton Island, Nova
Scotia" said:

I'd call it a schooner as well. There are many photos out there of 3,
4 and even 5 masted schooners, all masts the same height so one with 2
masts the same height fits the same definition. I always think of a
ketch as having a main mast and a mizzen (shorter aft) mast

So what exactly is a yawl rig?
Ruby
Ruby Vee

A yawl has a small mizzen mast too - but smaller than that of the
ketch, and placed well aft - often behind the rudder post, or on the
transom. It holds a heading well, as Chichester and Slocum found,
but self steering can do better these days.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

When I was a wee kitten, I was told that a ketch has the mizzen ahead of the
rudder post whereas on a yawl, it is aft of the rudder post.

Leanne

J35 Sail for Sail Capt. Rob ASA 2 August 17th 06 11:32 PM
Evaluating old sails [email protected] General 17 December 27th 05 07:13 AM
Evaluating old sails DSK Cruising 15 December 27th 05 07:13 AM
Sailing Boom Brake - Vangs - Sail shapes +more links Mic Cruising 0 November 6th 05 03:32 PM
The future of yacht design - 10 myths scotched Frank ASA 0 June 28th 04 02:42 PM