Default What type of sail rig is this?

I'm a big fan of Cat-Ketch type of sail rigs, but in a artical I read
about the Mari-Cha IV, it is a type of sloop, but both mast are
the same. What is this type of rig called?

Mari-Cha IV:
http://www.mari-cha4.com/pub/frameset.php

--

SeeYaa Harbin Osteen KG6URO

When American Citizens with dual citizenship pledges allegiance
to the flag, to which flag do they pledge allegiance too?

-

"Harbin Osteen" wrote in
:

What is this type of rig called?

Cutter Cat Ketch?

or just call it......Expensive...(c;

Larry
--
Vista has been out a week.
Is Service Pack 1 ready yet?

Harbin Osteen wrote:
I'm a big fan of Cat-Ketch type of sail rigs, but in a artical I read
about the Mari-Cha IV, it is a type of sloop, but both mast are
the same. What is this type of rig called?

Mari-Cha IV:
http://www.mari-cha4.com/pub/frameset.php

Fits into no defined category. If I had to fit it, I'd call it a
schooner. I sure won't defend that label, though.

"Paul Cassel" wrote in message
. ..
Harbin Osteen wrote:
I'm a big fan of Cat-Ketch type of sail rigs, but in a artical I read
about the Mari-Cha IV, it is a type of sloop, but both mast are
the same. What is this type of rig called?

Mari-Cha IV:
http://www.mari-cha4.com/pub/frameset.php

Fits into no defined category. If I had to fit it, I'd call it a schooner.
I sure won't defend that label, though.

I'd say either schooner or ketch, since when both masts are the same height
it's hard to find any definitive definition, as Paul says. Considering that
it carries modern sails with a modern hull form, "Ketch" probably fits
better than "Schooner."

On Feb 18, 5:59 am, "Harbin Osteen" wrote:
...t in a artical I read
about the Mari-Cha IV, it is a type of sloop, but both mast are
the same. What is this type of rig called?

Greg Elliot who designed it called it a schooner in a "Seahorse"
article. It certainly fits the classic definition of a schooner.
Where did you read that it was a sloop? Whatever else it may be, it
is no sloop! However, there may be some confusion because they keep
separate crews for each mast and work them independently. They may
have said that running the boat was like running two sloops rather
than one schooner... But, Mari-Cha IV is a schooner.

-- Tom.

I'm a big fan of Cat-Ketch type of sail rigs, but in a artical I read
about the Mari-Cha IV, it is a type of sloop, but both mast are
the same. What is this type of rig called?

Mari-Cha IV:
http://www.mari-cha4.com/pub/frameset.php

It's a cutter rigged schooner.

Harbin Osteen wrote:
I'm a big fan of Cat-Ketch type of sail rigs, but in a artical I read
about the Mari-Cha IV, it is a type of sloop, but both mast are
the same. What is this type of rig called?

Mari-Cha IV:
http://www.mari-cha4.com/pub/frameset.php

Fits into no defined category. If I had to fit it, I'd call it a schooner.
I sure won't defend that label, though.

I'd say either schooner or ketch, since when both masts are the same height
it's hard to find any definitive definition, as Paul says. Considering that
it carries modern sails with a modern hull form, "Ketch" probably fits
better than "Schooner."

The schooner has two or more masts with he rear mast higher or as high
than the previous ones. Ketch has a mainmast in front and a shorter
mizzen.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

I would say that it is simply a schooner. A schooner has 2 or more
masts and the aft mast(s) is (are shorter or the same size as the
forrward mast. Since it appears to have only one headsail, it would
not be cutter rigged.

Peter
s/v Now or Never!

In . com "Peter" writes:

I would say that it is simply a schooner. A schooner has 2 or more
masts and the aft mast(s) is (are shorter or the same size as the
forrward mast. Since it appears to have only one headsail, it would
not be cutter rigged.

Peter
s/v Now or Never!

Are you sure, you do not mean "are longer or the same size"?

- Lauri Tarkkonen

"Peter" wrote in message
ups.com...
I would say that it is simply a schooner. A schooner has 2 or more
masts and the aft mast(s) is (are shorter or the same size as the
forrward mast. Since it appears to have only one headsail, it would
not be cutter rigged.

Peter
s/v Now or Never!

Peter, actually you described a ketch. A schooner is t'other way 'round. ;-)

J35 Sail for Sail Capt. Rob ASA 2 August 17th 06 11:32 PM
Evaluating old sails [email protected] General 17 December 27th 05 07:13 AM
Evaluating old sails DSK Cruising 15 December 27th 05 07:13 AM
Sailing Boom Brake - Vangs - Sail shapes +more links Mic Cruising 0 November 6th 05 03:32 PM
The future of yacht design - 10 myths scotched Frank ASA 0 June 28th 04 02:42 PM