Bob Bob is offline

Default What type of sail rig is this?

On Feb 19, 10:55 am, "KLC Lewis" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Feb 18, 9:42 pm, "Harbin Osteen" wrote:
Yes, I did mean schooner, but I have never seen one with equal sized
mast, and
was wondering if there was a proper name for this particular setup.

Yes, schooner. Schooner rigs cover a lot of ground. For instance,
Herreshoff's Marco Polo, was a very popular schooner design in the
post war period and you may still see a few around. They were
designed with three masts with the center mast taller than the fore
and aft mast. There are a bewildering array of different schooner
rigs and they may be like Justice Stewart's definition of pornography:
"you know them when you see them." Schooners must have at least two
masts and must have fore and aft sails rigged on each mast, other than
that, well...

-- Tom.

Oh, sure -- but can this boat carry a Fisherman and a Gollywobbler? (ha!
Gotta love those schooner sail names!)- Hide quoted text -

Ahh, But for a good time I always go for a "spanker"
Bad Boy Bob

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 12:18:04 -0500, Larry wrote:

Cutter Cat Ketch?

It's not a cat ketch because it has a headsail (jib). Two or more
masts of equal height, one with the foremast shorter make it a
schooner unless it has square yards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schooner

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 19, 10:18 am, "KLC Lewis" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Feb 18, 7:59 am, "Harbin Osteen" wrote:
I'm a big fan of Cat-Ketch type of sail rigs, but in a artical I read
about the Mari-Cha IV, it is a type of sloop, but both mast are
the same. What is this type of rig called?

Hermaphrodite.

While this term originaly describe a diffrent rig type, I belive the
reason for using this trem may fit here.

Bob

Oh, that's an ugly word for any boat. How about "Brigantine"?

Okay, Agreed. Brigantine does sorta ryme with Valentine. Guess I
should not be so anti inovation. Cat schooner does have a ring to it
too.

But it is not square rigged.

Leanne

Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 20, 5:55 am, "Leanne" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

Hermaphrodite.

While this term originaly describe a diffrent rig type, I belive the
reason for using this trem may fit here.

But it is not square rigged.

Leanne-

Wow ! you know your historical rigs...... good on mate. Agreed not a
square rig but............................

While this term originaly describe a diffrent rig type, I belive the
reason for using this trem may fit here.

And in more informal setings i have also hearn ther term "*******"
rig. But I think thats a term that never made it into print.

Bob

"Lauri Tarkkonen" wrote in message
The schooner has two or more masts with he rear mast higher or as high
than the previous ones. Ketch has a mainmast in front and a shorter
mizzen.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

All well and good, but what of the Freedom "Cat Ketch," which has two masts
of the same size?

On Feb 22, 10:11 am, "KLC Lewis" wrote:

"Lauri Tarkkonen" wrote in message
The schooner has two or more masts with he rear mast higher or as high
than the previous ones. Ketch has a mainmast in front and a shorter
mizzen.

All well and good, but what of the Freedom "Cat Ketch," which has two masts
of the same size?

I've kept out of this discussion so far but let me add here that the
East Coast racer "Frog Kiss," a Freedom 44 cat ketch, added a jib to
the front of his boat making it... well, I dunno, kinda like what's
being discussed here. Personally, I call this little blade of a sail a
"jiblet" and still call the boat a cat ketch. But that's just me.

The Freedom 39 is generally called a cat schooner cuz the foremast is
shorter than the aft mast; but the ones with the masts the same size
are called cat ketches.

My $.02,

Frank

... a Freedom 44 cat ketch, added a jib to
the front of his boat making it...

From my not too reliable memory I think the Freedom 44 was a cat ketch

because the area of the forward sail was greater than the area of the
after sail. So I'd guess it becomes a ketch when the jib is added.
If the areas had been equal I think Hoyt would have called it a cat
schooner...

-- Tom.

On Feb 22, 2:44 pm, " wrote:
From my not too reliable memory I think the Freedom 44 was a cat ketch

because the area of the forward sail was greater than the area of the
after sail. So I'd guess it becomes a ketch when the jib is added.
If the areas had been equal I think Hoyt would have called it a cat
schooner...

-- Tom.

Garry Hoyt called his original 40 and the 44 (basic design without a
jiblet, cuz AFAIK Frog Kiss is unique in having added the jiblet) cat
ketches.

The Mull-designed 39 is usually called a cat schooner cuz the forward
mast/sail are smaller than the aft.

Frank

Frank

Just an addendum to this thread--I just saw an article in Oct 2006
Lats and att's about a Morgan 60 equal masted schooner s/v Ariel

Peter
s/v Now or Never!

On Feb 27, 8:20 pm, "Peter" wrote:
Just an addendum to this thread--I just saw an article in Oct 2006
Lats and att's about a Morgan 60 equal masted schooner s/v Ariel

Peter
s/v Now or Never!

I'd call it a schooner as well. There are many photos out there of 3,
4 and even 5 masted schooners, all masts the same height so one with 2
masts the same height fits the same definition. I always think of a
ketch as having a main mast and a mizzen (shorter aft) mast.

http://pacific4u.homestead.com/3_Mast_Schooner.jpg

http://www.victorychimes.com/

http://www.cruisemates.com/imgship/w...ynesia-220.jpg

this last link is a handy reference:

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mma/AtoZ/rigs.html

J35 Sail for Sail Capt. Rob ASA 2 August 17th 06 11:32 PM
Evaluating old sails [email protected] General 17 December 27th 05 07:13 AM
Evaluating old sails DSK Cruising 15 December 27th 05 07:13 AM
Sailing Boom Brake - Vangs - Sail shapes +more links Mic Cruising 0 November 6th 05 03:32 PM
The future of yacht design - 10 myths scotched Frank ASA 0 June 28th 04 02:42 PM