Parallax

Default New Roller Furling problem

While installing the roller furling Genoa today on my CDI RF system, I
was trying to do the installation on the bow while helping my 7 yr old
daughter fish in the cockpit. Every few seconds, it was:

"Daddy, I lost my bait"
"Daddy, my line is tangled"

So I was sufficiently distracted that I managed to lose the halyard
traveller up the luff extrusion without any way to pull it back down.
The traveller is now all the way to the top (31')with no messenger
line to pull it back down (After this happened, I just went fishing
with her). Options appear to be:

Take the luff extrusion off which means taking it most of the way off
the forestay. This could require a second paerson to help put it back
on the forestay and getting such help is difficult.

Go up the mast and retrieve it. Now, I need to go up the mast anyway,
but hadn't expected to do it so soon. 10 yrs ago, I wouldnt have
hesitated to do this but now that I am more mortal, I am sort of
chicken.

It might be possible to take a fishing weight on some monofilament and
try to throw it up so when it comes down it gets caught on the
traveller, but its a small target.

Any other suggestions?

It wasnt a total disaster, she caught 3 fish and was thrilled.
Jere Lull

Parallax wrote:

While installing the roller furling Genoa today on my CDI RF system, I
was trying to do the installation on the bow while helping my 7 yr old
daughter fish in the cockpit. Every few seconds, it was:

"Daddy, I lost my bait"
"Daddy, my line is tangled"

So I was sufficiently distracted that I managed to lose the halyard
traveller up the luff extrusion without any way to pull it back down.
The traveller is now all the way to the top (31')with no messenger
line to pull it back down (After this happened, I just went fishing
with her). Options appear to be:

Take the luff extrusion off which means taking it most of the way off
the forestay. This could require a second person to help put it back
on the forestay and getting such help is difficult.

Go up the mast and retrieve it. Now, I need to go up the mast anyway,
but hadn't expected to do it so soon. 10 yrs ago, I wouldnt have
hesitated to do this but now that I am more mortal, I am sort of
chicken.

It might be possible to take a fishing weight on some monofilament and
try to throw it up so when it comes down it gets caught on the
traveller, but its a small target.

Any other suggestions?

It wasnt a total disaster, she caught 3 fish and was thrilled.

*I* would probably climb the mast or drop the extrusion, but you might
be able to rig a loose (ish) loop around a long boat hook and push it up
the forestay with a couple of extensions (or push-pull if you have a
chute halyard). Tangle the 1' or so pennant or the slider in the hook
and pull down. I don't expect it to be easy, but I think it can be done.
(our CDI is about the same length and I think I'd drop the extrusion,
but we have a lot of helpful people on our dock. When I first mounted
ours, someone I'd never met asked if he could help... I *think* I could
do it solo, but a helper makes life easier.)

--
Jere Lull

Jim Woodward

1) Buy 30' of PVC pipe, two couplings, and PVC cement for a few bucks
and tape a coat hanger to the end. 1/2" is probably too floppy, but
I'd guess 3/4" would do the job.

2) If your daughter likes adventures, and if you can find a climbing
harness that will fit her with no possibility of her falling out, you
could send her up the mast. Maybe a bicycle helmet, too. Clearly this
must be done with care -- some people love going up the stick (great
view), but others hate it. You certainly want to take all precautions,
but she's old enough to understand what you'd be suggesting and to do
the job.

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

Jere Lull wrote in message ...
Parallax wrote:

[...]

Mr. Bill

Assuming you have a masthead rig, try the following:

take a piece o line long enough to reach the masthead and tie a
slipknot in it with, say, a 12" diameter loop in it. Make sure that
you tie it so that the part to pull to close the loop is on the (very)
long tail end.

Now, tie the short end on to your main halyard. Raise the
halyard/loop combo to the lost piece of your roller furler. Lassoo
the beast, pull the loop tight and then pull the assembly back to the
deck.

Depending on what is at teh masthead, this may be easier of harder
than going aloft.

Good luck!

Johnson outboard problem Garland Gray II Cruising 4 July 13th 10 02:48 PM
Furling Genoa Parallax Cruising 10 October 19th 03 04:33 PM
fuel delivery problem on outboard? help Russell Hermansen General 9 October 7th 03 01:40 AM
Johnson outboard problem Garland Gray II General 10 October 3rd 03 06:45 PM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM