Parallax

Default New Roller Furling problem

(Mr. Bill) wrote in message om...
Assuming you have a masthead rig, try the following:

take a piece o line long enough to reach the masthead and tie a
slipknot in it with, say, a 12" diameter loop in it. Make sure that
you tie it so that the part to pull to close the loop is on the (very)
long tail end.

Now, tie the short end on to your main halyard. Raise the
halyard/loop combo to the lost piece of your roller furler. Lassoo
the beast, pull the loop tight and then pull the assembly back to the
deck.

Depending on what is at teh masthead, this may be easier of harder
than going aloft.

Good luck!

I appreciate all the good suggestions but I think Mr. Bill gets the
prize for what I will try (actually, I will also try the pvc idea, its
cheap, hmm.... 4 8' pieces of pvc...). I will tie a large loop
around the luff extrusion with a length long enough to reach the deck
from the top. I will hoist it up the luff extrusion with the old jib
halyard until it snags the traveller on the luff extrusion tehn pull
it down.

Thanks everybody.

My 7 yr old probably would go up the mast. She climbed down a 33'
vertical shaft in a cave with no fear (I had her on rope). My 17 yr
old daughter has refused when I asked her to climb the mast.