Rick & Linda Bernard

Default Windlass Recommendations

I am interested in installing a windlass on my boat. I was thinking of
putting it in the anchor locker and was wondering of others experiences.

Steve

Even if you have all chain, it is still nice to be able to haul on a line
with all the power of the windlass motor.

I realize there are windlass being market just for chain but a good warping
drum up on the bow sure is handy on a cruising boat that may put out a
second anchor on a nylon rode.

My opinion, put it on the bow where you can keep an eye on the chain as it's
in and out.

Final, how would you be able to set the brake or engage/disengage the gypsy
to let it the chain free fall.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Larry W4CSC

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:58:20 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

I realize there are windlass being market just for chain but a good warping
drum up on the bow sure is handy on a cruising boat that may put out a
second anchor on a nylon rode.

The drum worked great, today, on Lionheart. I wrapped the line around
the winch on the mainmast then the drum on the windlass. The climber
in the bosun's chair was attaching those blocks in under a
minute...(c;

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?
John Hancock

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:09:09 -0500, "Rick & Linda Bernard"
wrote:

I am interested in installing a windlass on my boat. I was thinking of
putting it in the anchor locker and was wondering of others experiences.

It depends upon your boat and what you plan to do. I installed a big
Maxwell and it hardly notices the 66 pound Bruce with all chain rode.
I installed it on deck and as far aft as possible to still have it
centered over the chain locker.

Your ground tackle is one of your most important systems.