Jim Woodward

Default Windlass Recommendations

I agree completely. A capstan on deck is useful for:
1) hoisting man up mast
2) moving boat along dock
3) second anchor rode.

You can do all of these with your primaries, but #1 and #3 will be a
long hard pull....

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

(Larry W4CSC) wrote in message ...
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:58:20 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

I realize there are windlass being market just for chain but a good warping
drum up on the bow sure is handy on a cruising boat that may put out a
second anchor on a nylon rode.

The drum worked great, today, on Lionheart. I wrapped the line around
the winch on the mainmast then the drum on the windlass. The climber
in the bosun's chair was attaching those blocks in under a
minute...(c;

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?